ImALittleBear Apr 4 @ 10:00pm
Is $100 from Microsoft enough to make you ditch XP for good?
If you go onto the Google News website and type in Windows XP as the news subject your searching for you will see lots of stories on it. But lots of people are refusing to be bought out for a hundred bucks from MS just to get another system.

Everyone hates rebates and I never found those things to work in the first place. Kind of convinced by Malwarebytes and their so called advanced technology from their previous product to protect XP users past the end of support phase.

We shall see.

I just don't see how XP is that outdated when you have Direct X 9.0c, and support for basic graphical functions to allow some newer games to play on much much older operating systems.

Then again lots of publishers are making Vista or even 7 a minimum requirement for the games now.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Bad-Motha Apr 4 @ 10:10pm 
Forget about games for a second. It comes down to the base security within the OS.
Sure if u are just using XP for games and don't care about DX10/11 at the moment, or play games that still work under XP and can use DX9, then by all means.

But anyone using XP for work should upgrade, as it will be left with security holes. And this end of support means no more new updates from Microsoft, or new drivers from hardware vendors.

And unless your system hardware is sorely outdated, a newer OS should run just fine on your current system.
HBZK100 Apr 4 @ 11:39pm 
XP is now 11 years old, that is a really old os with how quickly technology is progressing.

Anyone who uses a computer for anything important then I would highly recommend upgrading to windows 7 at least.
PLANTROON Apr 5 @ 12:16am 
Win XP was awesome but it's sad that it never reached the stability of Windows 2k :( Steam dropped support for Windows 2k in 2009 and if they did not it would still be my OS of choice.
In the title you menitoned $100 - does Microsoft give me money if I upgrade or wat ? :D
Bad-Motha Apr 5 @ 12:36am 
Originally posted by PLANTROON:
In the title you menitoned $100 - does Microsoft give me money if I upgrade or wat ? :D

It works like this:
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-offers-users-100-toward-windows-8-devices-with-xp-trade-in-offer-7000027582/

Also alot of folks seem to be misinformed on alot of key points.

XP will not cease to work after April 8th. However the Windows Updates part of the OS will cease to work (according to sources), even if u are wanting to reinstall XP fresh again, good luck getting the updates. However I would not rule out a clean install being pointless. Or have an option to use Windows Updates to update til the cut-off point. As it just doesn't seem logical. When OS' such as Win98, 98SE, ME reached end of support, if u were to reinstall you were still able to get updates via Windows Updates. You just would not have any future updates, which makes sense. So don't quote me on XP Windows Updates ceasing to work. But if u are up to date with that, then u won't see future updates being released, that much is clear.

After this date, not only will new OS/Security related updates from Microsoft stop, but so will any future driver releases/updates from hardware vendors. Both of these factors are why it is just a good idea to upgrade, especially if you wanting to run software that rely on driver updates and such in order to get the most out of them, or for them to work properly based on install GPU driver and such.

I've already seen alot of hardware (USB heatsets and other hardware) where the only drivers available are for 64bit versions of Win7/8/8.1

Nothing new really, each OS must come to an end of support. Microsoft was actually going to end XP support years ago, but so many businesses relyed on it, Microsoft continued support. Well overall I think people have had enough time to realize that they need to upgrade, and have had a heads up about the end of support for XP. So your next move should have already been planned out. If you must continue to use XP, I would advise that you take extra care with regards to internet security, something u should be doing anyways, regardless.

It is time to move on.

If you do not like Win8 or you have hardware that does not offer Win8 drivers, then look at Win7 perhaps. Win7 SP1 will have support til 2020 at the very least. Plus if were an XP user up until now or so, you could use Win7 until Win9 releases, then evaluate that OS.
Last edited by Bad-Motha; Apr 5 @ 12:54am
ImALittleBear Apr 5 @ 7:15am 
Originally posted by PLANTROON:
Win XP was awesome but it's sad that it never reached the stability of Windows 2k :( Steam dropped support for Windows 2k in 2009 and if they did not it would still be my OS of choice.

Well you have to purchase a qualifying computer.
time goblin Apr 5 @ 11:39am 
theres no reason to not go windows 8.1 for a brand new build. it is better in EVERY aspect to 7.
if you find it scary that its new, then maybe you shouldnt be using or building a computer.
Rumpelcrutchskin Apr 5 @ 4:24pm 
I got 7 after Vista and imho 7 is the most stable and trouble-free OS I ever used. Gone skip that metro-sexual 8 and wait for 9 altough I dont really have high hopes for 9 either.
And to 8.1 being better in every aspect then 7... tell that to people who have problems running little older games or even some not so old ones. Almost every time you see some people complain about crashes and other problems in games it's Win 8 and AMD graphics while Win 7 PC with Nvidia card usually just works with pretty much everything you throw at them.
kitsumo1 Apr 5 @ 5:44pm 
Originally posted by Rumpelcrutchskin:
I got 7 after Vista and imho 7 is the most stable and trouble-free OS I ever used. Gone skip that metro-sexual 8 and wait for 9 altough I dont really have high hopes for 9 either.

I think that's what most people are doing. They figured out that every other Windows version sucks. So the rules for the switch are:

1. You have to already have a legal copy of XP.
2. You have to buy a new computer.
3. You have to upgrade to 8.1 (can't choose 7)

So a lot of people can't or don't want to take advantage of this.
Azza ☠ Apr 5 @ 6:37pm 
Win 8 they couldn't give away to me for free (3 times I had the offer for a freebee legal copy), nor will they paid me off to use it...

Microsoft plan is actually to dump it in April 2015 in replace with Win 9 - a smaller, fixed up version of Win 8 (just like how Vista is compared to Win 7, even though Win 7 was developed before Vista and meant to be an entire rebuild, they reuse the crappy code to infect it again and cut corners). Win 9 will likely support DirectX 12.

Also, since Win 8, they have moved away from the gamers and went more to the phone/tablet users as their target market - cos that's where the money is at with life-time builtin microtrasactions as a bonus. The same OS will be used on the Windows Phone, Tablets, Touch screen devices, and the Xbone, etc. If you developed software for one, it is meant to be easier to port to another device. For any PC, you will need to purchase various apps to get it back to the level of Win 7, such as a file manager, better web browser, start button (Win 9 might make a come back with this), etc.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Apr 5 @ 6:40pm
time goblin Apr 6 @ 9:02am 
Originally posted by Azza ☠:
Also, since Win 8, they have moved away from the gamers and went more to the phone/tablet users as their target market.

i would agree if it performed worse. it doesnt.... all of the games ive tried so far have gotten 1-5 extra fps. SSD management has also gotten alot easier and cores are automatically unparked.
Bad-Motha Apr 6 @ 9:12am 
Performance is no trade-off for Stability.
If it's SOOO great, why are so many having so many issues with Steam & Games in general whenever there is a Win8 update.

Not bashing, just like to hear comments/opinions, without any fan-boy noise.
time goblin Apr 6 @ 9:15am 
Originally posted by Bad-Motha:
If it's SOOO great, why are so many having so many issues with Steam & Games in general whenever there is a Win8 update.

what problems? tell me a game that has a problem with running in windows 8? ( bonus ponts if i own it) stability wise i havent bluescreened yet and neither had drivers crash on me in the 6 months of me using it.
HBZK100 Apr 6 @ 9:31am 
Originally posted by time goblin:
Originally posted by Bad-Motha:

what problems? tell me a game that has a problem with running in windows 8? ( bonus ponts if i own it) stability wise i havent bluescreened yet and neither had drivers crash on me in the 6 months of me using it.

Just like goblin said, what problems? Been using windows 8(.1) and have had no issues what so ever. Execpt, (obviously) in steam betas.
ImALittleBear Apr 6 @ 10:35am 
Your probably going to laugh at this - But I just got a brand new customer yesterday where they give me an old Dell Dimension 4400 with 512mb of ram and 20GB HDD. To refurbish for them.

I was able to refurbish it for them but I did let them know that Windows XP Support is ending , and their HDD is too small to install anymore programs and they did not mind. They are low income so they needed something basic to get them online.

Installed an Antivirus, Spyware Blaster and Malwarebytes , Firefox and Chrome and it's a happy little machine again to surf the net!
Bad-Motha Apr 6 @ 11:30am 
Originally posted by ImALittleBear:
Your probably going to laugh at this...

I do this all day... I know what u mean.

The fact that I help in here (where I can) is laughable considering this is the same kind of work I do for a living. Why would I wanna hear more of it, right.
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Apr 4 @ 10:00pm