Getting a gaming PC soon; need serious advice.
For the entire time I've been on Steam, I've done most of my gaming off my family's computer. However, since I've been thinking of switching over to a dedicated gaming PC of my own at some point; so I'd like it if you could give me some advice on how to go at it. Any and all advice works, but the ones in particular I'd like to have answered are:

  • Is it possible to transfer only PART of the data on a computer to another, instead of everything on it? (I only want my stuff on the new one, not a copy on both.)
  • What would be the best Anti-Virus program, in your opinion?
  • Would you reccomend building from scratch or buying prebuilt?
  • If from scratch, could you reccomend parts?
  • If prebuilt, what stores can I find them in (And what models would you suggest)?
  • Any reccomendations for displays, mice, keyboards, etc.?
  • I have heard some people say that they got VAC'd after launching Source Games (Like TF2) after making the switch. Is this something that I should worry about, and if so, what should I do about it?

Thanks to anyone who responds.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
festivus86 Mar 27 @ 8:00pm 
1. yes you can. once you get your system set up and OS installed you can copy all of your files. if you install steam on the new rig you can go into your old steam files and copy them to the new computer. this way you dont have to redownload all your games since it will discover them already in steam just uninstalled.
2. i use windows security essentials. as long as you are careful with what you download it shouldnt be an issue. i have my computer scan once weekly just to make sure im good and just by managing what i install i havnt gotten any viruses
3. building from scratch is always more fun and cheaper. i was going to buy something from cyberpower but luckily i built it myself and im so glad i did. since then ive gotten into building computers for other people and am planning on majoring in computer engineering in college.
4. you will want to look into what parts you need and do some research. once you figure out a budget you can begin to look into options. i suggest you select a ton of parts and work your way down. it might take some time but you will get something that is exactly what you are looking for
5. cyberpower is good from what ive seen but i have no experience
6. as far as peripherals, logitech is always good. i have a thermaltake esports theron mouse and its pretty stellar. for keyboard and mouse you will want to figure out your priorities and like everything else, just narrow it down. the monitor you will probably want 1920x1080. I reccomend Asus as they have some nice quality screens. as far as monitor size 22-24" is usually pretty good but if your budget permits most monitors range in size for the same model so you have some leeway there.
7. ive never heard of this and ive gone from system to system so i wouldnt worry about it.

good luck with your build and if i have 1 piece of advice i would say research computers. you will learn a ton and you will be better off for it.
Rambles &CO Mar 27 @ 8:10pm 
Originally posted by function86 #stopthephish:
1. yes you can. once you get your system set up and OS installed you can copy all of your files. if you install steam on the new rig you can go into your old steam files and copy them to the new computer. this way you dont have to redownload all your games since it will discover them already in steam just uninstalled.
2. i use windows security essentials. as long as you are careful with what you download it shouldnt be an issue. i have my computer scan once weekly just to make sure im good and just by managing what i install i havnt gotten any viruses
3. building from scratch is always more fun and cheaper. i was going to buy something from cyberpower but luckily i built it myself and im so glad i did. since then ive gotten into building computers for other people and am planning on majoring in computer engineering in college.
4. you will want to look into what parts you need and do some research. once you figure out a budget you can begin to look into options. i suggest you select a ton of parts and work your way down. it might take some time but you will get something that is exactly what you are looking for
5. cyberpower is good from what ive seen but i have no experience
6. as far as peripherals, logitech is always good. i have a thermaltake esports theron mouse and its pretty stellar. for keyboard and mouse you will want to figure out your priorities and like everything else, just narrow it down. the monitor you will probably want 1920x1080. I reccomend Asus as they have some nice quality screens. as far as monitor size 22-24" is usually pretty good but if your budget permits most monitors range in size for the same model so you have some leeway there.
7. ive never heard of this and ive gone from system to system so i wouldnt worry about it.

good luck with your build and if i have 1 piece of advice i would say research computers. you will learn a ton and you will be better off for it.

Really good advice man. my advice is you dont really need a hardcore gaming motherboard or super speed ram. all you need is a decent motherboard that has all the ports you need and RAM which is 1600Mhz any faster than that their will not be much of a differance. dont belive me just google it. another good couple of brands is steelseries for keyboards mouse and all and BenQ make great monitors i would choose either out of asus or BenQ. and just remember research research research, I researched for months before i built my pc and i dont regret it at all.
HBZK100 Mar 27 @ 8:12pm 
Originally posted by Edo the 309th:
For the entire time I've been on Steam, I've done most of my gaming off my family's computer. However, since I've been thinking of switching over to a dedicated gaming PC of my own at some point; so I'd like it if you could give me some advice on how to go at it. Any and all advice works, but the ones in particular I'd like to have answered are:

  • Is it possible to transfer only PART of the data on a computer to another, instead of everything on it? (I only want my stuff on the new one, not a copy on both.)
  • What would be the best Anti-Virus program, in your opinion?
  • Would you reccomend building from scratch or buying prebuilt?
  • If from scratch, could you reccomend parts?
  • If prebuilt, what stores can I find them in (And what models would you suggest)?
  • Any reccomendations for displays, mice, keyboards, etc.?
  • I have heard some people say that they got VAC'd after launching Source Games (Like TF2) after making the switch. Is this something that I should worry about, and if so, what should I do about it?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Yes it is possible to transfer part of data from one pc to another.
Webroot is the best antivirus. Really small program. Even has a gaming version.
Building from scratch, you will be saving a lot of money. And your in full control of what you want to put in your pc.
Origin pc has nice top of the line pcs.
Asus 144hz monitor, g500s mouse (I personally use it.) and Corsair mechanical keyboards (However, they are pricy so you might want to get something cheaper.)
Don't know about your last question.

I first need to know what budget your working with in order to get ideas as to good parts.
Rumpelcrutchskin Mar 27 @ 9:27pm 
Do yourself a favor and dont build anything cheaper then $700 without accessories. ;-)
$1000-1200 without accessories would be even better.

There are some various builds in this price range:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hLxz

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hLDN

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hLNj

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hLRq

Decent monitor that is not too expensive and is good for gaming:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-ve247h

And good quality keyboard, mouse:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-keyboard-ch9000043na

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-mouse-ch9000022na
festivus86 Mar 28 @ 5:21pm 
Originally posted by Rumpelcrutchskin:
Do yourself a favor and dont build anything cheaper then $700 without accessories. ;-)
$1000-1200 without accessories would be even better.

There are some various builds in this price range:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hLxz

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hLDN

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hLNj

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hLRq

Decent monitor that is not too expensive and is good for gaming:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-ve247h

And good quality keyboard, mouse:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-keyboard-ch9000043na

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-mouse-ch9000022na
i see what you are saying when you advise he spends at least $700 however there is a cheaper alternative. buying quality performance optimized products is a smart way to go however if you are on a budget i would suggest to start with a good core and upgrade. get a good motherboard to start off with, a good power supply, and a good case. from there you want to make sure you have a motherboard with a socket type you can upgrade. for example get a nice lga1155 motherboard but only an i3. when you choose to upgrade you can just swap out the cpu. same goes with ram. the videocard doesnt have to be anything crazy either. you can spend $100-200 and get something like a gtx750ti or gtx760, then when time comes to upgrade buy another and run it in sli.

gaming computers dont have to drain your bank, the thing that makes pc gaming stand out is that you have the ability to upgrade, so you might want to consider taking that route.
HBZK100 Mar 28 @ 8:06pm 
Function86 has got a point there. You could easilly build a gaming rig for 700 bucks.

Though, I can see what Rumpelcrutchskin is saying, you do get a big performance increase if you go 200 bucks more.
Rumpelcrutchskin Mar 28 @ 8:09pm 
I would not build new PC with 1155 motherboard anymore. It will not be compatible with 1150 socket Broadwell CPU's that are coming out this year. 1150 will remain upgradeable longer.
It's either 1150 or 2011 for new rigs imho and 2011 is for expensive high-end gaming rigs and workstations.
HBZK100 Mar 28 @ 8:21pm 
Yeah lga 1155 I would stay away because it is getting old. You can get a cheap 50 dollar lga 1150 mobo with i3 and you would be fine.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 27 @ 6:33pm
Posts: 8