Dylan Becker Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:00pm
How does this PC look?
I had a guy set me up with what he thought would make a good gaming computer for cheap. He seemed pretty credible but I wanted to know what the rest of the community thinks before I buy it. Here's a link:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/dylan6091/saved/46yz
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
(RP)Kratos Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:17pm 
What about the CD-Drive how are you going to install the OS?
Dylan Becker Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:21pm 
Hah good point. It's possible to buy a digital copy though, right?
ZigZach Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:22pm 
Yes, you can install your OS via USB drive.
Μ Θ β Ϊ Џڪ Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:33pm 
good stuff in good price if you like AMD/Radeon
ckay_ Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:41pm 
Rumpelcrutchskin Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:46pm 
Dead end system with weak CPU that you cant upgrade in the future.
What's the point using APU when you go with dedicated graphics card anyway.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hBd8

This you can easily upgrade to i5 in the future and even i3 is better then this APU.
Azza ☠ (Banned) Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:48pm 
Hmm, it's average but will be ok for gaming and a good price...
Note: Intel is better than AMD for most game purposes, but would cost more.

I would suggest 4th Gen Haswell motherboard with Intel i5 CPU. However, up to you.

Why are you using only one Western Digital RE3 HDD in it? RE3 is designed for two or more in RAID mode, your better off with a Western Digital Black Edition instead for single drive performance.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:50pm
Dylan Becker Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:55pm 
Originally posted by Azza ☠:
Hmm, it's average but will be ok for gaming and a good price...
Note: Intel is better than AMD for most game purposes, but would cost more.

I would suggest 4th Gen Haswell motherboard with Intel i5 CPU. However, up to you.

Why are you using only one Western Digital RE3 HDD in it? RE3 is designed for two or more in RAID mode, your better off with a Western Digital Black Edition instead for single drive performance.

I've gotta say, I know nothing about PCs which is why I had this set up made for me. I'm trying to get one full set of items that I know will be good because I have no idea how to inspect individual parts and their values.
Rumpelcrutchskin Mar 27, 2014 @ 4:26pm 
Probably best to raise your budget by $100 and get i5 with GTX 660. Would last you longer without upgrade and run pretty much all latest games.
Your friend doesnt seem to be very knowledgeable btw, he picked quite a few poor quality parts and APU with graphics card is pretty poor solution.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3hCxd
Last edited by Rumpelcrutchskin; Mar 27, 2014 @ 4:28pm
Azza ☠ (Banned) Mar 27, 2014 @ 4:30pm 
Note: I don't do low budgets very well... and might double your original price.

Intel Core i5-4670K CPU

Asus Maximus VI Motherboard (4th Generation - Haswell)

Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB 1866MHz CL9 (1600MHz can be fine too, but make sure CL9 or less)

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (Pay a good amount for a quality card here, 200% faster than your current R7 260X)

550 to 750W Seasonic Power Supply - 80PLUS Gold (Seasonic is the leader in PSU, others such as Thermaltake are okay but the high-end ones just happen to be Seasonic under a different name)

No bottlenecks for gaming at 2560x1600 (1440p) resolution on high/ultra settings with at least 60 FPS+. Depend how much your willing to spend, adjust down evenly if desired or just stick with AMD if happy enough.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Mar 27, 2014 @ 4:32pm
Rumpelcrutchskin Mar 27, 2014 @ 4:32pm 
Note: I don't do low budgets very well... and might double your original price.

Intel Core i5-4670K CPU

Asus Maximus VI Motherboard

Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB 1866MHz CL9 (1600MHz can be fine too, but make sure CL9 or less)

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (Pay a good amount for a quality card here, 200% faster than your current R7 260X)

550 to 750W Seasonic Power Supply - 80PLUS Gold (Seasonic is the leader in PSU, others such as Thermaltake are okay but the high-end ones just happen to be Seasonic under a different name)

No bottlenecks for gaming at 2560x1600 (1440p) resolution on high/ultra settings with at least 60 FPS+. Depend how much your willing to spend, adjust down evenly if desired or just stick with AMD if happy enough.

This is high-end system and easily $1300-1500.
Dylan Becker Mar 27, 2014 @ 7:05pm 
Originally posted by Rumpelcrutchskin:
Probably best to raise your budget by $100 and get i5 with GTX 660. Would last you longer without upgrade and run pretty much all latest games.
Your friend doesnt seem to be very knowledgeable btw, he picked quite a few poor quality parts and APU with graphics card is pretty poor solution.

Can you tell me what the noticeable differences would be with your build compared to the one I had posted?
_I_ Mar 27, 2014 @ 7:11pm 
much better cpu, even the new pentium g's are better than the amd quads
amd is done making cpus, they are focusing on mobile/consoles/apu (and the apus are failing next to intel pentium g/celeron g/i3)

thermaltake makes very poor power supplies, tr2 500w is junk next to the cx430
with a low power build, the cx430 will be more than enough
Rumpelcrutchskin Mar 27, 2014 @ 9:54pm 
Originally posted by Dylan Becker:
Originally posted by Rumpelcrutchskin:

Can you tell me what the noticeable differences would be with your build compared to the one I had posted?

i5 CPU is LOT more powerful then AMD APU.
Harddrive is 6.0 Gbs and actually suited for system drive.
Graphics card is more powerful and better suited for 1920x1080.
Case in your build has horrible cable management, not enough room for longer graphics cards and generally poor build quality.
Thermaltake power supplies are pretty much rubbish and unreliable.

chelommy Mar 28, 2014 @ 1:36am 
You guys know I'm no expert, but I think this GPU may be overkill...especially when considering it's price. I would think 760 or 770 would be more than powerful enough, but if OP has the money then go for it...the 780 ti is a beast.
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:00pm