ZigZach Mar 27 @ 2:20pm
Should we support AMD?
I'm curious how people feel about this. Do you think consumers should support AMD or just let it fizzle out? I'm not looking for your opinions comparing Intel and AMD, just want to know where you all stand on the issue. Would we be better off without AMD as a CPU/APU manufacturer, and relying solely on Intel? Also the reasoning behind your opinion would be appreciated.
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Azza ☠ Mar 27 @ 2:31pm 
Intel - For gaming purposes
AMD - For 3D design and graphics processing applications

I would let them continue as those target markets - which they both do well at. It's not a matter of one better than the other or I'm a fanboy of Intel, etc. Rather it just comes down to what is best for the job you want to perform. Not everyone is just a gamer.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Mar 27 @ 2:32pm
Fork_Q Mar 27 @ 2:31pm 
There is no point in us consumers in keeping a competitor alive by buying their stuff if they make inferior products / stuff that just does not interest you. AMD made some real bone-headed decisions recently (there is a reason why Nvidia turned down Sony and Microsoft to work on their consoles), they only ever appear to succeed when Intel slips up (x86-64 vs. Netburst).

My guess is, if AMD were to ever go bankrupt, the FTC or the US Antitrust department could force Intel to buy enough non-voting stock to keep them alive, just like MS did with Apple. That's what I hope anyway.
Last edited by Fork_Q; Mar 27 @ 3:15pm
Azza ☠ Mar 27 @ 2:35pm 
Snickers - There's a 'US Antitrust department'?
Fork_Q Mar 27 @ 2:36pm 
Originally posted by Azza ☠:
Snickers - There's a 'US Antitrust department'?

Apprently.

http://www.justice.gov/atr/
Rumpelcrutchskin Mar 27 @ 2:40pm 
Competition is good for prices but I'm not gone buy inferior product just to support underdog.
Saying that I would really like that AMD would start making some actual progress with their CPU line, this would force Intel to try harder too instead of releasing basicly same stuff with really minor upgrades under new name over and over again.
Slenderbot Mar 27 @ 5:18pm 
I can see nothing but intel and Nvida fanboys on this discussion. :(
BDK (Banned) Mar 27 @ 5:35pm 
None of you can tell the difference anyway unless you're looking at a useless synthethic benchmark or playing one of them old games that only use 1-2 cores.

AMD still has strong products in both CPU and GPU markets. If Intel is the only company to provide consumer processors, you're gonna be paying an arm and a leg to get one.
HBZK100 Mar 27 @ 5:46pm 
AMD is not going away, from all the graphics cards miners get to all their cpus and gpus being in xbox one and ps4. Wait a couple of years, they might start making good cpus with all the money their making.
Fork_Q Mar 27 @ 5:55pm 
Originally posted by BDK:
None of you can tell the difference anyway unless you're looking at a useless synthethic benchmark or playing one of them old games that only use 1-2 cores.

AMD still has strong products in both CPU and GPU markets. If Intel is the only company to provide consumer processors, you're gonna be paying an arm and a leg to get one.

Not all of us use computers just for gaming you know. There is a reason those who work on VMs, photo and video editing favour Intel over AMD.

You could go on Anaadtech or Tom's Hardware and compare CPU benchmark on modern games, and you'll find that AMD is still playing catch-up. A good benchmark is like a scientific test, done well it cuts out all the noise and biases and presents the facts of the comparison straight.

I don't like Intel, I don't like how they attempted to use their bully position to do ♥♥♥♥ like this:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1936578,00.asp

But the fact remains, their CPUs are better then AMD's offerings. I'm not going to buy AMD products to make myself feel better or show solidarity, their recent screw-ups were their own fault. Worse comes to worst, I doubt the US government is going to let Intel have the monopoly in this market.
Fork_Q Mar 27 @ 5:56pm 
Originally posted by HBZK100:
AMD is not going away, from all the graphics cards miners get to all their cpus and gpus being in xbox one and ps4. Wait a couple of years, they might start making good cpus with all the money their making.

Nvidia walked away from that deal, AMD is probably going to find out why...
Carlsberg Mar 27 @ 6:19pm 
AMD has been trailing for some time now as we all know but i am sure that will change and we will see benefits from both. AMD wins on price, their products are cheaper and give good value for money if your on a budget. Intel has the computing power but as always, quality costs.

The benefit of AMD is the ability to drive Intel forward, as long as AMD are trailing Intel have no reason to pursue any aggressive development so we have to look forward to the same chips being constantly modified with minimal improvements. AMD are striving to match Intel chips in terms of performance and they will get it, Intel will then need to improve dramatically to retain the market and thats when we will see real change.
Last edited by Carlsberg; Mar 27 @ 6:19pm
Awesomer Mar 27 @ 6:27pm 
Fortunately for AMD they are competing with more companies than just intel, from a price standpoint, amd beats both nVidia and Intel, though preformance could be better. But with all of nVidia's crappy drivers, amd is starting to look like the way to go. I wouldn't call myself a casual gamer but I would never drop so much cash on an intel cpu. FX and ATI radeon are nothing to shake a stick at, if you like to spend go with intel, thats all I'm saying.
Carlsberg Mar 27 @ 6:47pm 
I think one of the reasons Intel dominates is the current software available, not much is written for multiple cores but that will change especially in games. Now that xbone and the like have multicore cpu's in them more will be written to take advantage of that market and that may be in AMD's favor.
_I_ Mar 27 @ 7:32pm 
amd has had 5 years to make something better than a pii, and still cant
sorry, but let them die

intel is already competing aginst itself for users to upgrade from 775 and 1g i series cpus
Carlsberg Mar 27 @ 7:50pm 
Originally posted by _I_:
amd has had 5 years to make something better than a pii, and still cant
sorry, but let them die

intel is already competing aginst itself for users to upgrade from 775 and 1g i series cpus

LOL, I think thats a bit harsh, AMD still has a lot to offer but i get your point, 5 years is a long time in an industry that changes as rapidly as this one.
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 27 @ 2:20pm