MSI vs Sager vs Alienware vs Asus Vs Lenovo: Which should I buy a gaming laptop from?
I'm interested in purchasing a gaming laptop for gaming (of course) and multimedia. I've had trouble deciding which brand I should choose from, so I need some advice and help on which hardware to buy. My budget is 1,200 but preferrably I liked to buy something below $1,000. would like my laptop to render, edit, and game fairly well.

Thanks!

(P.S I don't know if I should post this question here I thought it would make sense because laptops are hardware and I have a question related to it.)
Laatst bewerkt door aJ-; 25 mrt 2014 om 19:46
< >
1-15 van 26 reacties weergegeven
Here is basically what the differences are:

Sager (and Origin PC) target people who want a customized high performance notebook. However they are pricy, starting generally around $1500 to as high as $6000.

Lenovo's gaming laptops have the best bang for the buck, you can find a $1000 lenovo y510 with a i5 or i7 and two geforce gt 750Ms in SLI. Which has around the same performance as the top of the line gtx 780M.

Asus' ROG line are great if you want a superior build quality laptop. They also have great cooling, but all of these features make the laptop very heavy.

MSI has the most numerous line of gaming laptops that make it hard to choose from. From laptops as high end as Sager and Origin PC all the way down to your price point.

Alienware I would not recommend. Even though they look fancy, you pay a lot for that.

I would recommend the Lenovo y510 since they offer a ridiculous amount of gpu performance for your budget. (Keep in mind, the sli version of the y510 doesn't have a optical disk so as to make room for the 2nd gpu.)
Laatst bewerkt door SilentHorizon; 25 mrt 2014 om 21:56
Origineel geplaatst door donotreply002:
Here is basically what the differences are:

Sager (and Origin PC) target people who want a customized high performance notebook. However they are pricy, starting generally around $1500 to as high as $6000.

Lenovo's gaming laptops have the best bang for the buck, you can find a $1000 lenovo y510 with a i5 or i7 and two geforce gt 750Ms in SLI. Which has around the same performance as the top of the line gtx 780M.

Asus' ROG line are great if you want a superior build quality laptop. They also have great cooling, but all of these features make the laptop very heavy.

MSI has the most numerous line of gaming laptops that make it hard to choose from. From laptops as high end as Sager and Origin PC all the way down to your price point.

Alienware I would not recommend. Even though they look fancy, you pay a lot for that.

I would recommend the Lenovo y510 since they offer a ridiculous amount of gpu performance for your budget. (Keep in mind, the sli version of the y510 doesn't have a optical disk so as to make room for the 2nd gpu.)

Thanks! I was having a difficult time deciding.
I have a MSI gaming laptop and its pretty good. I got it open box at microcenter for less than $1000.
I have a Lenovo Y410p the smaller 14" and it runs games great if you are interested in a smaller model, but Y510p would be better due to SLI and like HBZK100 said it has performance similar to the 780m SLI. GOOD LUCK Hope you find the one you want.
I have had my Y500 for a year now and love, it plays all the games (Metro 2033/LL, Tomb Raider, CSGO) on high settings with over 60fps. I've had minimal issues with, most sure from 8.1 and not the laptop it self. I would recommend the y510p(which ever is closest to your price range) for the pure quality and stability of the Y series. Paid about $800 for mine without the second gt750m(the new ultra bay hadn't been released yet), then saved up enough for when it did get released I could buy it and I did. Came to be about a $1000 after that, then of course I install an msata 128gb ssd in it as well.
Origineel geplaatst door ActionSamurai360:
I have a Lenovo Y410p the smaller 14" and it runs games great if you are interested in a smaller model, but Y510p would be better due to SLI and like HBZK100 said it has performance similar to the 780m SLI. GOOD LUCK Hope you find the one you want.

14"? I may look into that :P

Origineel geplaatst door BOOMY:
I have had my Y500 for a year now and love, it plays all the games (Metro 2033/LL, Tomb Raider, CSGO) on high settings with over 60fps. I've had minimal issues with, most sure from 8.1 and not the laptop it self. I would recommend the y510p(which ever is closest to your price range) for the pure quality and stability of the Y series. Paid about $800 for mine without the second gt750m(the new ultra bay hadn't been released yet), then saved up enough for when it did get released I could buy it and I did. Came to be about a $1000 after that, then of course I install an msata 128gb ssd in it as well.

If I were to buy the Y500, where could I purchase an additional graphics card for it?
Laatst bewerkt door rotNdude; 27 mrt 2014 om 7:32
Lenovo Y510P laptop configs are here:
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

On that same page, click on Accessories & Servies tab for link to Ultrabay

Y510P now come with GT 755M, so may have to wait on Ultrabay, as that is only available in a GT 750M ATM. Not sure if u can SLI a 755 + 750.
Laatst bewerkt door Bad 💀 Motha; 27 mrt 2014 om 4:50
Thanks for y'alls in put for your y510P(,y410P & y500). I just don't understand why they're going to stop putting sli in their next gen laptops with Maxwell gpus.
Laatst bewerkt door SilentHorizon; 27 mrt 2014 om 8:13
Alienware or Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) is best for high-quality gaming laptops.

Both are awesome gaming dreams with good gaming graphic cards... however understand they will likely weight a ton and no longer be 'carry around' as much, also costing 2-3x times more than a desktop with the same performance. Make sure you have a good reason to go laptop for gaming purposes, rather than a desktop. Most standard laptops will lag and not have the resource available for high-end games. I wouldn't go laptop unless spending a good $2600 USD on it (as a desktop price for same performance, that would only be $1000 USD - remember your paying for smaller size, etc).
Laatst bewerkt door Azza ☠; 27 mrt 2014 om 8:24
All ill say is anything is better then Aliendell.
Origineel geplaatst door Azza ☠:
Alienware or Asus ROG (Republic of Gamers) is best for high-quality gaming laptops.

Both are awesome gaming dreams with good gaming graphic cards... however understand they will likely weight a ton and no longer be 'carry around' as much, also costing 2-3x times more than a desktop with the same performance. Make sure you have a good reason to go laptop for gaming purposes, rather than a desktop. Most standard laptops will lag and not have the resource available for high-end games. I wouldn't go laptop unless spending a good $2600 USD on it (as a desktop price for same performance, that would only be $1000 USD - remember your paying for smaller size, etc).

I'm building a desktop as well (I've purhased the motherboard, case and psu) But since I'm constantly out and abouts spending time with friends and relatives it would be handy to have a portable gaming notebook.
Laatst bewerkt door aJ-; 27 mrt 2014 om 13:05
Origineel geplaatst door Chester Buttbeard:
Origineel geplaatst door ActionSamurai360:

14"? I may look into that :P

Origineel geplaatst door BOOMY:

If I were to buy the Y500, where could I purchase an additional graphics card for it?

The 14" I use uses a low resolution of 1366 X 768, but the 14" can come with 1600 X 900 Resolution. Here is the link for more info http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/
Unless you travel alot, don't get a gaming laptop. They are high maintenenced, underpowered, and overpriced. But if you travel, go for something other than alienware. Asus is great, and I have heard good things about lenovo.
You should try doing this, NVidia is now giving the ability to stream from anywhere with their shield, not just in your home. You could build your rig and the get a shield and 1080P monitor, and just bring those two things to your friends house. That is, if you like game controllers.
Origineel geplaatst door HBZK100:
You should try doing this, NVidia is now giving the ability to stream from anywhere with their shield, not just in your home. You could build your rig and the get a shield and 1080P monitor, and just bring those two things to your friends house. That is, if you like game controllers.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/25/nvidia-shield-gets-temporary-price-drop-soon-to-support-remote/

Not bad idea really. Long as you have a decent internet connection where ever u want to use the NVIDIA Shield. But yea due to updates NVIDIA has made, now u can do remote internet connection to your host gaming PC and basically play from anywhere.

So for under or around $1000 instead of a laptop that just barely plays games well, maybe build a very good gaming desktop instead and still have enough for a Shield as well.
< >
1-15 van 26 reacties weergegeven
Per pagina: 1530 50

Geplaatst op: 25 mrt 2014 om 19:45
Aantal berichten: 26