DeputyDeath Mar 23 @ 8:16am
Lag problems
So, after owning my laptop for about a year (since 2012 Christmas), it's become much more prone to lag than it was before...

From what I can see, there is a problem with the cooling (the fan is pretty loud when my fps are at 60, and then gets quieter when there's a lag spike). From some research, it seems that the intel turbo boost software is to blame. It seems that the cooling system can't keep up with my CPU, causing it to throttle (and no, throttlestop isn't helping at all). I'm using the 're-install windows' option as a last resort really.

This isn't something that happened over time either: I remember my TF2 being switched to dx9 when I started playing. It then (all on it's own) switched to dx8. I actually kinda liked it back then, but oh god carbonado looked bad...
Anyway, I specifically remember taking it somewhere (not sure where) and my TF2 magically switching back to dx9. I hadn't seen high-quality shaders for a while, and my opinions were mixed to say the least. But at least it meant everything looked normal. But what came with the better graphics was lag. Extreme lag in fact! My TF2 went from running at 100fps+ with no lag spikes to about 60fps with regular lag spikes down to under 30fps (although it was more like 30fps with performance spikes up to 60fps D:)..

And it wasn't just TF2...

My Saints Row 2, originally running at 30fps (about normal for a game ported from an xbox) constantly at high settings, ran at about 15, no matter what settings, with lag spikes down to 5fps. My Minecraft, a game where even though every setting was maxed with a 256x texture pack , I became annoyed when it dropped below 100fps. But now? Bloody Hell, I'm over the moon to go 2 minutes without a stupid lag spike.

EVERYTHING IS ONLY JUST PLAYABLE

So, in short: My laptop, after going about 6 months without lagging in any game, suddenly starting going a bit crazy when it comes to frame rates...


And (except in extreme cases) the lag has nothing to do with my surroundings. I could be in the middle of battle surrounded by explosions, and I may not lag. But I could also be idle in the middle of nowhere, and I could drop to 5 fps... The fact that it's so unpredictable makes it even more annoying.

I've defragmented my hard drive, I've used ccleaner and the like a billion times, and it doesn't work. And although my settings are on high in most games, it doesn't notably affect my performance. Again, I blame the unpredictability.

Even Simpsons: Hit and Run, game designed to run on stupidly slow computers of yesteryear, has now got lag spikes (although only a drop of 5fps or so, the lack of refinement makes it very noticable).

My computer's specs:
Acer Aspire V3-571G
Dual Core i5 (2.4ghz, with intel turbo boost up to 3.1ghz)
Nvidia GT630m graphics card (2GB dedicated)
8GB DDR3 RAM
1000GB Hard Drive

Also note that I am using a free antivirus (MalwareBytes), whereas before it came pre-installed with Mcafee.

(This is a repost, as I found that the old one didn't include enough information)
Last edited by DeputyDeath; Mar 26 @ 5:29am
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
_I_ Mar 23 @ 8:41am 
the gt630 is a horrible gpu for gaming or any 3d rendering

get a gtx card
if the psu is 300w or lower get a gtx750it

edit: its a laptop, if its under 1mo old, return it and get something with a gtx card
Last edited by _I_; Mar 23 @ 8:42am
TireLLy Mar 24 @ 3:48pm 
does the lags start after buying many items in the market?
it seems that the game has more lags the more items you have in your inventory
DeputyDeath Mar 26 @ 5:27am 
Originally posted by TireLLy:
does the lags start after buying many items in the market?
it seems that the game has more lags the more items you have in your inventory
So my TF2 could be lagging because I have too many items in my backpack? Or do you mean that It's only with games? (I don't own many games)

Originally posted by _I_:
the gt630 is a horrible gpu for gaming or any 3d rendering

get a gtx card
if the psu is 300w or lower get a gtx750it

edit: its a laptop, if its under 1mo old, return it and get something with a gtx card
Although I appreciate the advice, I understand that my graphics card is sh*t. But that isn't really the point of the discussion, it was more to see if it's worth getting it fixed, buying a new new one of if it was just an easily fixable problem.
Last edited by rotNdude; Mar 26 @ 8:17am
_I_ Mar 26 @ 6:28am 
oops, i missed the M
its a laptop, either use the intel 4000 igp, which could be just as good as the 630 or dont play games
both would be farily close for gpu power
DeputyDeath Mar 26 @ 6:47am 
Originally posted by _I_:
oops, i missed the M
its a laptop, either use the intel 4000 igp, which could be just as good as the 630 or dont play games
both would be farily close for gpu power
So use my intergrated graphics card?

Also, I don't think 'don't play games' is much of a solution... :D
Last edited by rotNdude; Mar 26 @ 8:18am
HBZK100 Mar 26 @ 12:44pm 
No, use your gt 630 its still faster. If the gt 630 was slower than intel HD 4000 then why would they even put that gpu in.

It has to be a software or driver issue your having. Only software or drivers could slow down your pc that much.

Try reinstalling your graphics drivers (if you haven't already), and also get a laptop cooler for your laptop, it could be your cpu and gpu are throttling down to keep temps down.
DragonSamurai360 Mar 27 @ 12:17am 
Also just a thought try uninstalling your security for a test. I had a issue like that awhile back and turned it was my security causing the issue. Nvidia GeForce GT 755m went down to about 12fps no matter what setting when I was recieving 30-55fps depending on game, since then I have replaced the security. Hope that helps and good luck.
Bad-Motha Mar 27 @ 12:51am 
For gaming purposes, temp disable antivirus/security software (however not your firewall, as that can cause all sorts of issues elsewhere) to help avoid any constant realtime scanning of files/memory/cache.

Ensure NVIDIA GPU is set to the Preferred Default one within NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings.

Monitor your CPU/GPU temps and see what they reach around the time of these spikes and such. Suggest HWMonitor for this, just let is run in background when needed/wanted. If your temps are reaching in excess of 80*C or higher, time to replace the internal fan (either from Acer direct through their Support/Warranty service, or find one on Ebay that is made to work with your model). If that alone doesn't do the trick, get a laptop cooling pad, or make/rig up something similar in order to keep the laptop cooled during gaming.

Update NVIDIA GPU drivers, as it may help some with performance.
Last edited by Bad-Motha; Mar 27 @ 12:54am
DeputyDeath Mar 27 @ 11:26am 
Thanks guys... This seems like a lot of help! I will try all of them
HBZK100 Mar 27 @ 11:29am 
Originally posted by Bad-Motha:
For gaming purposes, temp disable antivirus/security software (however not your firewall, as that can cause all sorts of issues elsewhere) to help avoid any constant realtime scanning of files/memory/cache.

Ensure NVIDIA GPU is set to the Preferred Default one within NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings.

Monitor your CPU/GPU temps and see what they reach around the time of these spikes and such. Suggest HWMonitor for this, just let is run in background when needed/wanted. If your temps are reaching in excess of 80*C or higher, time to replace the internal fan (either from Acer direct through their Support/Warranty service, or find one on Ebay that is made to work with your model). If that alone doesn't do the trick, get a laptop cooling pad, or make/rig up something similar in order to keep the laptop cooled during gaming.

Update NVIDIA GPU drivers, as it may help some with performance.

BTW... it's normal for a laptop to reach 80C with both cpu and gpu maxed out. Just watch out for temps when they get to 90C. My laptop reaches around 75C, even with a laptop cooler.
Bad-Motha Mar 27 @ 9:08pm 
That is why I said 80*C or higher.
But yes around 80*C is fairly normal for laptops during gaming.
Above 85*C or so, hmm yea u need better cooling, internal fan(s) need cleaning or replacement. Keep the internal areas cleaned out.
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 23 @ 8:16am
Posts: 11