What's the difference between cheap and expensive HDMI Cables?
Title says the question. The HDMI cables are ranged between $5 to +$100.. Can anyone tells me the difference? I'm willing to buy GTX 770 2GB, which kind of HDMI cable should I get for gaming?
< >
Beiträge 115 von 25
I don't think I have ever seen any major differences between a $5 HDMI and a $100 HDMI. :o. You should really just go for the $5 one, expensive cables are so pointless :3 :squirtooh:
Just use the DVI-D, there is no difference in quality and only thing that HDMI adds is ability to transmit sound but unless you want to use monitor speakers or something it's pointless for monitor.
_I_ 16. März 2014 um 9:19 
most monitor/tv speakers are junk compared to a good set
even most cheaper sets ex. ls21 are better than most monitors

cheaper hdmi cabels may have loser connectors, but the signal quality is the same
dvi-d cables are fine too, and will support more resolutions
hdmi will limit to vga res and 1920x1080 and 1280x720
I would just ensure that your HDMI cable has "Ferrite Core" and is v1.4 capable.
The more expensive ones are usually all gimmicks. You can easily get the needed specs, as well as all gold plating, for much less then retail stores. They know they can't make much profits off larger ticket items, so they mark up cheaper ones.

Now there are HDMI cables that allow Ethernet signals to also pass through them, but very few people will need this, and if they do then they usually already know what to look for when buying.

Anything related to cables for Video/Audio I would highly suggest u look through MonoPrice.com

Very good quality cables u may see @ retail for $20-30 or more for a basic 6ft HDMI cable can easily be found for around $2-5 online.

Couple things:
If you are doing gaming via PC/Mac and both your GPU and Display supports DVI, then I would suggest DVI. Unless in cases where u need HDMI, such as for pass-through-audio, or device limitation/requirements, or due to you need a display to use HDMI in order to use multiple displays and such. Only if required would I suggest HDMI. From your Digital Subcriber to your TV is one thing, but for gaming, DVI is best overall for single/dual display setups.
Ursprünglich geschrieben von ©kay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfv9L8fVvr4

This guy is just amazing. Linus ftw!
_I_ 16. März 2014 um 11:47 
if you need hdmi cables get them from monoprice
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10240
3ft = $2.57
6ft = $3.54
10ft = $5.15

shipping might be around $10 tho
and they have many other cables/wires for cheap
usb/firewire/audio/vga/dvi ect..
Yea if u are trying to go there for say: one or two cables, don't bother.
For that I would first look at what you want to get (if it needs to be specific) then search for it on Ebay, Amazon, Buy, OverStock type of websites for example and u can still get good quality for price in most respects.

Just don't fall for those gimmicks like Monster Cables which are highly expensive for no real reasons, or even the very cheapest of cables, which could still be marked up quite a bit.
_I_ 16. März 2014 um 11:56 
wait, you mean this?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audioquest-diamond-3-3-high-speed-hdmi-cable-dark-gray-black/2383276.p?id=1218324437192

What's great about it: Filled with real diamonds
What's not so great: Could have been filled with more diamonds

At first I was hesitant to pick up such an expensive cable for my new HDTV. My wife pleaded with me saying "Why are you spending more money on the cables than you did on the TV?" Well who has the last laugh now?

When I first opened the packaged I was surprised how heavy the AudioQuest Diamond 3.3' High-Speed HDMI Cable was, it almost pulled the TV down off of the wall, but I assumed that was just quality manufacturing. A few hours later when the shear weight of the cable brought my television (along with the wall mount and drywall) crashing to the floor did I really see the value of the AudioQuest Diamond 3.3' High-Speed HDMI Cable.

When I sifted through the rubble I noticed the HDMI cable had been ripped and diamonds were poring out onto the floor! I quickly scooped them up and brought them to the nearest pawn shop! I was told the diamonds had a value close to $25,000 but since they needed to be framed and would sit around the shop for a while we negotiated down to $1500, an almost $500 profit!

I spend my days now going from Best Buy to Best Buy in search of more AudioQuest Diamond 3.3' High-Speed HDMI Cable. My pawn shop guy continues to buy the loose diamonds from me, it's a wonderful arrangement. I think I'm going to be able to afford a PS4 and Xbox One for Christmas this year!
I would recommend this to a friend!
+258points
Zuletzt bearbeitet von _I_; 16. März 2014 um 12:02
OMG, yes it list a bunch of "jazzy" technical jumbo to make u think u need it, just because it is different. I am sure the quality of AudioQuest "Diamond" series are nice, but no cable needs to be that expensive, nor worth any real consideration. Even Lady Gaga doesn't need cables that expensive for her Tours.

But yea I see cables at Radio Shack for example that are gold plated, but 3ft is like $30.
Can get the same thing on Amazon for example for around $5, and that is for a 6ft mind you.

Anything to do with Audio Receivers or PC/Mac setups, I would ensure the use of Video/Audio cables that have Ferrite Core, which are highly recommended for those setups where EMI (outside 3rd party signal interference is a known issue, the core helps further shield the cable)
Zuletzt bearbeitet von Bad 💀 Motha; 16. März 2014 um 12:03
ohoho, people still use hdmi?
its all about displayport yo.
_n_ 16. März 2014 um 18:08 
It's all digital data, unless the cable is completely useless, a 5$ should be more than enough
Maverick 16. März 2014 um 18:50 
I bought 2 Rosewill HDMI cables 2 years ago for $2.99 ea and free shipping for my 60inch TV and Blu-Ray player and the cables have worked perfect and picture quality is just as good as my friends TV with his $60.00 HDMI cable
Zuletzt bearbeitet von Maverick; 16. März 2014 um 18:52
Ursprünglich geschrieben von NbK:
It's all digital data, unless the cable is completely useless, a 5$ should be more than enough

Pretty much. It either works or it doesn't.

$2 HDMI cable just as good as a $100 HDMI cable.
Now if it was a High End Stereo or surround system I say yes. For a computer not so much. Say if you downloaded MP3 music or video's then the quality will not be as good as a CD, SACD or DVD, BluRay. So all that MP3 music etc. is not the best quality to start with. The only reason you could use more higher quality HDMI or any computer connecting cable's if you have a high end system with a motherboard with verygood quality audio on board and a verygood soundcard. Example Gigabite G1 Sniper 5 Motherboard.
< >
Beiträge 115 von 25
Pro Seite: 1530 50

Geschrieben am: 16. März 2014 um 8:25