leo Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:00pm
living room budget mini pc
Hi guys,
I'm thinking about a small pc, almost invisible :) , to use in the living room with my HDtv as monitor. main usage will be as HTPC and gaming station for indie/old games..I've already got a good gaming rig in an other room.
the system probably will be on at least 12h a day most of the week, so it must be quiet.
my budget will be under 500$.
I tought the intel NUC (haswell with hd 5000) or similarities with the same form factor could be enough to play more requiring games (like skyrim, civilization 5, chivalry or dota2) at midium-low setting. what do you think?
Last edited by leo; Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:05pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
_I_ Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:21pm 
nuc could work, but very limited for upgrades
no gpu, uses so-dimms, notebook hdds or ssd

if you can hide a atx/m-atx behind a wall or tv stand
or an itx case/mobo, they can hold a standard gpu/psu and have room for good cooling

an itx build with an os can be around $500usd
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34apQ

without an os you can get the 4670
time goblin Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:43pm 
Originally posted by leo1984:
gaming station for indie/old games.


Originally posted by leo1984:
(like skyrim, civilization 5, chivalry or dota2)

what?
Last edited by time goblin; Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:44pm
leo Mar 5, 2014 @ 12:04am 
Originally posted by _I_:
nuc could work, but very limited for upgrades
no gpu, uses so-dimms, notebook hdds or ssd

if you can hide a atx/m-atx behind a wall or tv stand
or an itx case/mobo, they can hold a standard gpu/psu and have room for good cooling

an itx build with an os can be around $500usd
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/34apQ

without an os you can get the 4670

I' ve really no space for a bigger system. the tv is in a cavity in the wall. I know my purpose has a lot of cons.. :(

Originally posted by time goblin:
Originally posted by leo1984:
gaming station for indie/old games.


Originally posted by leo1984:
(like skyrim, civilization 5, chivalry or dota2)

what?

I'm almost sure NUC will be good for indie/old games, what about civ 5, dota2, chivalry and skyrim at low setting?
do you think could I stream them from an other rig in the same lan?
Last edited by leo; Mar 5, 2014 @ 12:18am
ontelo Mar 5, 2014 @ 12:22am 
NUC comes without memory, SSD/HDD, OS & WLAN adapter (depending of the model).

So price can easily go over 500$. Otherwise it's pretty solid package. HD 5000 is capable for older games and some newer ones with reduced detail settings.
Last edited by ontelo; Mar 5, 2014 @ 12:23am
leo Mar 5, 2014 @ 12:36am 
Originally posted by ontelo:
NUC comes without memory, SSD/HDD, OS & WLAN adapter (depending of the model).

So price can easily go over 500$. Otherwise it's pretty solid package. HD 5000 is capable for older games and some newer ones with reduced detail settings.

any cheaper solution with similar FF?
UberFiend Mar 5, 2014 @ 12:47am 
mini itx with i3, otherwise AMD build.

I guess i5 with <$200 card (260x good example) would squeeze into budget.
_I_ Mar 5, 2014 @ 1:02am 
amd builds will make alot more heat, and much lower cpu performance
UberFiend Mar 5, 2014 @ 2:08am 
Originally posted by _I_:
amd builds will make alot more heat, and much lower cpu performance

sure but they're also a cheaper setup.
_I_ Mar 5, 2014 @ 2:53am 
i3 4130 /w h81/b85 is about the same price as an a10/fx6300 /w good board setup
Nick-Zag (Banned) Mar 5, 2014 @ 8:49am 
This is what iam putting together for our living-room or 2nd mini pc- I have the Fractal Design Node 304, just bought the Gigabyte A88XN-WI-FI motherboard (mini itx) has alot of features for just around $100 bucks, I will be picking-up the Amd a10 6800k or the newer 7850k Kalveri or whatever they are called tommorow with a full modular psu ( 750 watt ) corsair rm series......The only thing that worries me is the i-gpu,I know its respectable mid-range chip but the 6800k has 382 radeon cores? Not sure, But i have an xtra Radeon (refrence design ) 6970 (2gb) that looks so sexy inside the Node 304 that I just must use it in this build~! What do u guys think,go hybrid crossfire?what card do i need to buy to crossfire the i-gpu or use the 6970>? I will be testing for performance as soon as iam done.
_I_ Mar 5, 2014 @ 8:55am 
hybrid crossfire (dual graphics) isnt worth it, just use the better card
Nick-Zag (Banned) Mar 5, 2014 @ 12:09pm 
Yeah thats what I was thinking too, I need your guys opinion for the cpu cooler as iam kinda stuck now (space wise ) iam not so sure I can fit a Corsair h80 i closed loop in the Node 304- Do you guys have any other options for me>? ........ Theres no way in hell iam gonna for a Evo-212 in there but maybe just maybe if I mount the radaitor on the outside of the case I can pull it off>?!......... Iam buying a full moduar Psu just so I have xtra space and not a huge mess of wires running all over the place! Corsair Rm 650 watt-Gold certified-$130. This little machine has really got my hopes up in terms of looks, now lets just see how she performs but according to the benchmarks ive seen the A10-6800 K is right there with my Fx 6100 if not better at most games! My kids and wife are the lucky ones this time around lol. Hopefully I can pick-up the 8350 for myself after this ones done?
Nick-Zag (Banned) Mar 5, 2014 @ 12:10pm 
Sorry for double post but for the sake of argument what card is compatable for hybrid crossfire>? Isnt it the Radeon 6570 or 6670? Thank you.
_I_ Mar 5, 2014 @ 4:50pm 
if you are height limited, cm n520 will cool justa s good and is slightly shorter
141mm vs 160mm tall

if you need shorter, gemini ii m4 will cool about like a tx3 (around 100w limit)
and is 59mm tall
UberFiend Mar 6, 2014 @ 12:08am 
Originally posted by Mig 29 Fulcrum:
I need your guys opinion for the cpu cooler as iam kinda stuck now (space wise ) iam not so sure I can fit a Corsair h80 i closed loop in the Node 304- Do you guys have any other options for me>? ........ Theres no way in hell iam gonna for a Evo-212 in there

No need for aftermarket cooler unless you are extreme overclocking, the stock cooler (depsite the fact people dump on them all the time) will handle a moderate to decent overclock (say around 4.2ghz).
Last edited by UberFiend; Mar 6, 2014 @ 12:09am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 4, 2014 @ 2:00pm
Posts: 19