senseidongen Feb 24 @ 9:12am
SSD performance
So I have a Samsung 840 250GB SSD and I am a little concerned/perplexed. I had a suspicion that the latest beta graphics drivers had lowered graphics performance so (amongst other, more relevant tests) I checked the Windows Experience Index and sure enough, it agreed. However, it also decided that my SSD was no longer worthy of its 7.9 rating and downgraded it to 6.8. I'm aware that WEI is a fairly crappy benchmark, but it's still the same benchmark so I was alarmed to see it drop by so much...

So I downloaded AS SSD and Samsung Magician and ran some benchmarks. I was at first a bit alarmed by the read and write speeds AS was reporting, but after some reading I realised that was because of the way AS benchmarks and I got much higher numbers from Magician. That said, magician only reported 130MB/s write speed, which is only ~1/2 what the peak value is. Should I be concerned? More info is below (I will post more info when I get home and the below is from memory - will correct any mistakes):

Total SSD writes: 1.45 TB

100 reallocated sectors

Seq. Read: 503MB/s (officially up to 520MB/s)

Seq. Write: 130MB/s (officially up to 250MB/s)

Driver: AMDSATA

PC specs:

A10-6800K
Corsair H60
MSI FM2 A75MA-E35
Samsung 840 250GB
Silverstone SFX 450W 80 Plus Gold
G-Skill Ripjaws X 8GB 2133 CL11

Thanks in advance!
Showing 1-15 of 40 comments
< >
rotNdude Feb 24 @ 9:25am 
How much free space do you have on that SSD?
UberFiend (Banned) Feb 24 @ 9:46am 
Do SSDs have write-behind caching?
senseidongen Feb 24 @ 9:59am 
@rotNdude, I have 14GB left free - less than I would allow for a HDD, but I was (perhaps mistakenly) under the impression that that matters far less for an SSD... correct me if I'm wrong!

@UberFiend, Honestly, I have no idea...

EDIT: re-ran magician benchmark and got 514 read and 173 write, so better this time, though random write is waaaaay down - should be up to 62000, I'm getting 11400... That said, WEI now gives it a score of 7.4...
Last edited by senseidongen; Feb 24 @ 10:13am
TeKraken Feb 24 @ 10:24am 
Originally posted by senseidongen:
@rotNdude, I have 14GB left free

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Write_amplification

Not good for performance or longevity of an ssd.
Last edited by TeKraken; Feb 24 @ 10:25am
rotNdude Feb 24 @ 10:58am 
@rotNdude, I have 14GB left free - less than I would allow for a HDD, but I was (perhaps mistakenly) under the impression that that matters far less for an SSD... correct me if I'm wrong!

EDIT: re-ran magician benchmark and got 514 read and 173 write, so better this time, though random write is waaaaay down - should be up to 62000, I'm getting 11400... That said, WEI now gives it a score of 7.4...

SSDs have to do things differently when writing data compared to a HDD. This is an old article, but I think it still applies for the most part.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738/11
senseidongen Feb 24 @ 12:49pm 
Thanks everyone so far! rotNdude, I am in the process of reading that article but it will take me a while!

TeKraken, I am doing my best to understand what write amplification actually is but from what I can see, it is clearly affecting me!

So what are the upshots so far? Will clearing some space on the drive help? What exactly is TRIM and how is it enabled? I don't currently have any over-provisioning and would need to set up a new partition by the looks of it - can I do that without having to reinstall Windows? I don't have a huge amount of data that needs backing up on here, as this PC is just for gaming, but it is a pain in the ♥♥♥♥ that I would like to avoid...
TeKraken Feb 24 @ 12:56pm 
This page of the article rotN posted explains a little better why your write speeds are slow.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738/8

Basically your SSD is having to erase stuff (already marked as deleted by the OS but not actually deleted by the SSD) before it can be written to.

Is the SSD your only drive?
Last edited by TeKraken; Feb 24 @ 12:57pm
rotNdude Feb 24 @ 12:57pm 
You get that SSD down below 85% utilization and then see how well it reports on a performance test. At this point, you're running at 95% utilization.
senseidongen Feb 24 @ 1:07pm 
@TeKraken, I see... and yes it is currently the only drive in this PC, but I think I will get a 1TB HDD at some point

@rotNdude, will do; the vast majority of files on this PC are just games that I can easily re-download. I will report back when I'm down to at most 85%

UPDATE: Ok, got utilisation down to 83% and Magician reported the following:

seq. read: 528MB/s seq. write: 215MB/s
rand. read: 63900 IOPS rand. write: 15216 IOPS

So, everything is up slightly (seq. write up significantly) but random read is still very low. Also, I said that I had 100 reallocated sectors - turns out I wasn't reading it correctly and I actually have zero :)

To be honest, it doesn't really feel any different to how it did before and I'm not too worried about it, but if I can sort the issue, that would obviously be good!
Last edited by senseidongen; Feb 24 @ 2:14pm
rotNdude Feb 24 @ 1:45pm 
(Also rotNdude, I would have just edited my previous comment, but I wanted the notification to appear....)

I don't like this place looking like a chat/IM session. There is an edit feature and folks should use it.
senseidongen Feb 24 @ 2:16pm 
Originally posted by rotNdude:
I don't like this place looking like a chat/IM session. There is an edit feature and folks should use it.
Quite agree! So anyway, freeing up some space did indeed help, as did the manual optimisation with Samsung Magician. is TRIM enabled by default in Windows 7?
Rove Feb 24 @ 2:37pm 
I'd like to suggest adding a storage drive to your system at this point to keep the bulk of your gaming library and any movies or music on.

It sounds like you have outgrown your primary SSD drive at this point and it's time to add on some storage space for your comfort.

I'd recommend a 2TB, 3TB or 4TB HDD or SSHD depending on what you want and think you can afford. As long as you have a spare 3.5 inch bay in your slim case at least.

No point in keeping yourself uncomfortably crowded on the SSD if you can help it.

Wasn't a bad idea to start with a SSD though since you've got your OS on it and wouldn't want to have to move it and the SSD is the perfect place for it.

I understand you have a GPU on your to-upgrade list as well at some point so I guess it's a matter of budget and priorities. Still at some point or another your are going to have to get a storage drive, since that's really what makes the most sense.
TeKraken Feb 24 @ 2:40pm 
is TRIM enabled by default in Windows 7?

type:
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

into command prompt as admin. Should be a 0.
Last edited by TeKraken; Feb 24 @ 2:40pm
senseidongen Feb 24 @ 3:33pm 
@Rove, yeahh I've been tending to keep most of that sort of stuff on my laptop up until this point, but I think a HDD probably will be my next purchase (and there is room in my case for one... just one, mind :P). A GPU will be my next purchase after that, though it will have t go hand in hand with eaither a new case or a fairly drastic case modification... And what I mean by that is I'll attempt to mod and f it goes horribly wrong, I'll buy a new case! But yeah, that's a planned summer project so in the meantime I'll look into a HDD - is there any point buying something like a WD Caviar Black if it's not my primary drive?

@TeKraken, I typed that into command prompt and it was indeed at 0... so this means TRIM is enabled?

Silicon Vampire Feb 24 @ 3:48pm 
Yes, buy the back WD. The cost difference is minimal for the perf and warr.
Showing 1-15 of 40 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 24 @ 9:12am