Canti Feb 24, 2014 @ 3:26am
Wait until 2015 for upgrade?
My 1st gen i7 is feeling a little long in the tooth. The motherboard also has some issues, such as the SATA III ports not working any more and sometimes it simply won't boot. I try and keep it in sleep mode as much as possible and this works fine.

Is it worth waiting until 2015 for the first consumer-oriented DDR4 motherboards at this point? Under the assumption that my system will survive until then. Performance-wise, I have no complaints with my current system.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
ontelo Feb 24, 2014 @ 3:27am 
Well you answered it yourself:
"Performance-wise, I have no complaints with my current system."
Canti Feb 24, 2014 @ 3:36am 
Originally posted by ontelo:
Performance is fine, but it has many little issues I can't be bothered to fix and features present in more recent products that I could make use of like Quicksync.

I'd do it with whatever comes out during this year but I don't know how big an impact DDR4 is going to have when it arrives next year, so not sure if I should wait it out or not.
senseidongen Feb 24, 2014 @ 3:58am 
Originally posted by Canti:
Originally posted by ontelo:
Performance is fine, but it has many little issues I can't be bothered to fix and features present in more recent products that I could make use of like Quicksync.

I'd do it with whatever comes out during this year but I don't know how big an impact DDR4 is going to have when it arrives next year, so not sure if I should wait it out or not.
The biggest advantage of DDR4 is actually going to be in terms of power saving - operating at a lower voltage. The baseline speed for DDR4 will be 2133MHz, which is now a fairly common DDR3 speed, as I'm sure you know. Obviously it will be better than DDR3 and faster and faster kits will arrive, but unless you're planning on using an APU, I doubt it'll make much difference, so I wouldn't hold out for that. Certainly every review I've read of high speed DDR3 can find little if any difference to normal 1600MHz DDR3 (with the obvious exception of using an APU, as I said)
senseidongen Feb 24, 2014 @ 4:37am 
Originally posted by vadim:
Originally posted by senseidongen:
The baseline speed for DDR4 will be 2133MHz, which is now a fairly common DDR3 speed, as I'm sure you know. Obviously it will be better than DDR3
Obviously DDR4-2133 will be noticeably slower than DDR3-2133...
Will it? How so?
llllShaDoWllll Feb 24, 2014 @ 7:31am 
Don't wait, upgrade your PC now, you don't wanna wait till something worse happens and damage your other components.
ckay_ Feb 24, 2014 @ 9:01am 
if you wait, you gonna be waiting forever
senseidongen Feb 24, 2014 @ 9:13am 
Originally posted by ©kay:
if you wait, you gonna be waiting forever
^ This
_I_ Feb 24, 2014 @ 10:33am 
if you currently have a 1600+ cl9- 1.5v ram kit, upgrade now, since you can use that ram kit on a current haswell cpu

if you need more ram, and can hold off for a bit, wait for the next gen and ddr4
Canti Feb 24, 2014 @ 10:39am 
Originally posted by _I_:
if you currently have a 1600+ cl9- 1.5v ram kit, upgrade now, since you can use that ram kit on a current haswell cpu

if you need more ram, and can hold off for a bit, wait for the next gen and ddr4

This is what I have right now:
http://i.imgur.com/9Yrojop.png

Capacity is fine, but unsure if the specs are up to snuff?
_I_ Feb 24, 2014 @ 10:44am 
check the spd tab, and select each dimm to see their timings/voltages
Last edited by _I_; Feb 24, 2014 @ 10:44am
Canti Feb 24, 2014 @ 10:46am 
Originally posted by _I_:
check the spd tab, and select each dimm to see their timings/voltages
http://i.imgur.com/M9FMXbl.png
Does this look OK?
_I_ Feb 24, 2014 @ 10:48am 
if all are similar to that
freq 800+
cas lat 9 or lower
voltage 1.55v or lower

than its good for 1155/1150 cpus
Canti Feb 24, 2014 @ 10:58am 
Thanks, yes they are all the same.
senseidongen Feb 25, 2014 @ 1:17am 
Originally posted by vadim:
Its simple. DDR3 has 8 banks and every RAM chip in the DIMM runs at 1/8 clockrate. I.e. 2133/8=266MHz. DDR4 has 16 banks which needs twice slower RAM chips - 2133/16=133MHz.
Exactly what happened when DDR2 was replaced by DDR3. DDR2 had only 4 banks and its RAM chips runs at twice more clock rate.
Main idea in replacing DDR to DDR2 to DDR3 to DDR4 is ability to run slow memory chip in parallel.
If first DDR4 DIMMs will have 133MHz and not overclockable chips it will have terrible timings.
In worst case, twice as much as DDR3 at the same effective speed. Therefore, it will have worse latency and less bandwidth in real applications (not theoretical peak bandwidth - it will be the same).
Interesting. I amend my original statement to be that DDR4 will eventually be better! The transition from DDR2 to DDR3 was just before my time so I defer to your experience
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Feb 24, 2014 @ 3:26am