Barnacle Potato Feb 22 @ 4:27pm
Computer build
What do you guys think of this processor: Intel Xeon E5-2697 V2
I've never been a huge fan for Xeon as their prices are very high but now i can afford it and i want to know if this is good for gaming?
The other spec will hopefully be 64gb Ram and Quad Titans. For other spec leave a comment.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Yobnok Feb 22 @ 4:39pm 
Quad Titans, what kind of... ok let me just say if you have quad titans you can run every game at every resolution at every setting.
Last edited by Yobnok; Feb 22 @ 4:40pm
Barnacle Potato Feb 22 @ 4:49pm 
I know that the Titans aren't bad but i just need to know about the Xeon CPU.
King Of The Bears Feb 22 @ 4:52pm 
Forget the Xeon. They are not built for gaming. They are built to be server pc.

Look into getting a I7 4770k or get the Ivy Bridge E series
Barnacle Potato Feb 22 @ 4:54pm 
Originally posted by The Mighty Bear:
Forget the Xeon. They are not built for gaming. They are built to be server pc.

yeah, that's what i thought.
Dead Pixel Feb 22 @ 5:06pm 
It would be better to get the i7 4960X or 4930k. Why get four Titans? I'd get four 780 Ti instead. The Titan just has more memory and is more expensive, but less performance than the 780 Ti.
Barnacle Potato Feb 22 @ 5:11pm 
i already have 4 Titans, i got them before the 780 was out
Flux Feb 22 @ 6:37pm 
I would get the 4770k
_I_ Feb 22 @ 6:44pm 
if you want to quad sli, you will need a 2011 board with quad sli support
($250-300+ board) and a good cpu ($500+)
then a 1200+w power supply
someone Feb 23 @ 1:17am 
with that sort of harware, you want a cpu to keep up
http://www.tomshardware.com/t/cpus/
Tris125's Laptop Feb 23 @ 3:32am 
Woooah, don't get a Xeon for gaming- they can't overclock for ♥♥♥♥ and are for workstations. If you're that hard core then go for an X79 with a 4960x and then overclock that bad boy to 4.8 GHz. Get the ROG black edition x79 with 4-way SLI support (can't remember the name).
Rumpelcrutchskin Feb 23 @ 4:18am 
i7-4930K and Asus Rampage IV Black Edition mobo.
You need custom water cooling loops for 4 Titans and CPU.
Rove Feb 23 @ 4:43am 
Ever heard of overkill?

Unless you are running the IMAX Cinema as your monitor is there any possible reason you need a make a system like this? Are you doing heavy duty professional-grade work on gamer hardware instead of workstation for some reason?

That said I love technology and would love to have a rig like that.

Xeons & Opterons are nice but sometimes the motherboards you can find for them are a bit lacking. I mean let's remember they are made to be for servers and so they lack enthusiast features like PCIe x16 gen 3 slots with 4 capable of running x16 mode together, SATA 3 6Gb/s ports and all the fun stuff you'd expect from a gaming motherboard.

Personally I'd go for 4 * 16 core Opteron CPUs instead of the Xeon you listed for what I'd be terming a "enthusiast home supercomputer". 16 core Opteron's are what the "Cray Titan" supercomputer uses along with the workstation versions of the GTX Titan.

Here is the specific CPU I'd get 4 of for that build:
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=OS-6376WOF&c=CJ

You will need to find a 4 socket motherboard for it also which is not always that easy to find specially with all the PCIe x16 in x16 mode that I'm sure you want.

The Intel Xeon E5-2697 V2 costs more than 4 times the price of one of these so you can get 4 for the same price. Though it is worth noting that the Intel Xeon E5-2697 V2 is meant for dual CPU systems rather than single CPU deployments.

Anyways I think 1 Xeon E5-2697 V2 vs 4 Opteron 6376 there is no doubt the Opterons should outperform it. I mean it's 64 cores & 64 threads vs 12 cores & 24 threads. Sure it draws more power but it doesn't seem like a slightly higher power bill will be much of a issue for you.

If you were building a professional cash-earning server for a business I might recommend going with a Intel, but I'd probably recommend getting 2 of a Xeon that costs 1/2 as much but performs more than 1/2 as well, perhaps a slower 12 core or a 8 or 10 core or something for $1300~ or less each times 2.

Anyways if it's for gaming all you really need is a i7 4930K at most, I mean that one's not even labled a "gaming" CPU, it's a "enthusiast" CPU. A regular i5 or i7 (or AMD FX 4xxx or Athlon II x4 740 or AMD 2nd to current gen APU 4 core or better) is more than enough for most "gamers".

Edit, you could also get only 2 * 16 core Opteron CPUs. Perhaps a faster more expensive one. That would broaden your motherboard selection a lot as well as free up space on the board for PCIe x16 slots.
Last edited by Rove; Feb 24 @ 10:00am
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 22 @ 4:27pm