knoxy2106 Feb 22 @ 8:35am
I HATE MONEY
So im in a dilemma! I'm building a pc for £750 but i want a MSI gtx 770 gaming oc edition 4gb or the gigiabyte version but if i get a intel i5 4670k its way to much but if i choose the FX 8350 I can get what i want want so should I get the FX 8350 and gtx 770 4gb or intel i5 4670k with a gtx 760 or R9 270X
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
_I_ (banned) Feb 22 @ 8:41am 
i5 4670k
its 4 cores will match the overall performance of amds 8 cores
(programs that use fewer than 5 cores will do much better on it)

and gpu prices fall faster than cpu prices
a good cpu/board will last 5 years, gpus are normally upgraded every 2-3 years


fyi, if you hate money, ill be happy to take it from you :)
knoxy2106 Feb 22 @ 8:55am 
Originally posted by _I_:
i5 4670k
its 4 cores will match the overall performance of amds 8 cores
(programs that use fewer than 5 cores will do much better on it)

and gpu prices fall faster than cpu prices
a good cpu/board will last 5 years, gpus are normally upgraded every 2-3 years


fyi, if you hate money, ill be happy to take it from you :)
What about a AMD Phenom II X4 965 black. Ohh yeah go ahead lol
Rove (banned) Feb 22 @ 9:12am 
I'd go for the AMD FX 8350 + GTX 770. It's better value. It will last longer all around.

By the time you'd need a upgrade to a GTX 760 the games would have been using all 8 cores of the AMD FX 8350 meaning it would be performing better than the i5 could since it benchmarks significantly higher in multithreaded performance on all cores combined.

knoxy2106 Feb 22 @ 9:15am 
Originally posted by Rove:
I'd go for the AMD FX 8350 + GTX 770. It's better value. It will last longer all around.

By the time you'd need a upgrade to a GTX 760 the games would have been using all 8 cores of the AMD FX 8350 meaning it would be performing better than the i5 could since it benchmarks significantly higher in multithreaded performance on all cores combined.
I really dont know what to do :0 You say get the Amd _|_ says get a intel :/ Rove have you got a AMD if so what type and what graphics card do you have
_I_ (banned) Feb 22 @ 9:15am 
the pii 965 was one of the best amd cpus (did very well aginst the intel 775 quads)
but is nowhere near a 4670k

by the time games need 8 cores, they will need to be faster than anythign amd will make\

rove fails to understand "same overall performance"
unless your running many programs that need 8 cores, go with the i5
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/446/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8350_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-4670K.html
(ignore the memory intensive results, the intel build has half the ram at a slower speed)
knoxy2106 Feb 22 @ 9:21am 
so what will i get, something thats future proof and £30 cheaper or something thats great at the moment, more expensive and is not future proof
Rove (banned) Feb 22 @ 9:22am 
Originally posted by knoxy2106:
Originally posted by Rove:
I'd go for the AMD FX 8350 + GTX 770. It's better value. It will last longer all around.

By the time you'd need a upgrade to a GTX 760 the games would have been using all 8 cores of the AMD FX 8350 meaning it would be performing better than the i5 could since it benchmarks significantly higher in multithreaded performance on all cores combined.
I really dont know what to do :0 You say get the Amd _|_ says get a intel :/ Rove have you got a AMD if so what type and what graphics card do you have

I have a AMD FX 8150, It's still a great CPU.

I've used it with both HD 7790 and HD 6950 graphics cards, works well with both. Probably uses the GPUs more than the CPU. First thing I'm thinking to upgrade is the GPU.

I'm trying to hold out a few more generations since I want to see them make lots more progress than they have recently and get like 10-20 TFLOPS GPUs on the market.

I saw for example from the HD 3870 to the HD 4870 to the HD 5870 more than 2 times GFLOPS and performance increase per generation. That was a little bit after last console generation. So now with new consoles released I hope performance does the same thing generation to generation and I want to wait for it to happen and get like a 10-20 TFLOPS or better GPU. I've got all I need for now so I'm waiting for a "smart buy".

I also have a couple saved builds that illustrate your choice:

AMD FX 8350 + GTX 770 build $1000~
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rove/saved/1UUW
Base Total: $1063.86
Promo Discounts: -$25.00
Mail-in Rebates: -$30.00
Shipping: $6.99
Total: $1015.85

i5-4670K + GTX 760 build $1000~
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rove/saved/2eDC
Base Total: $1064.86
Promo Discounts: -$20.00
Mail-in Rebates: -$35.00
Shipping: $11.94
Total: $1021.80

Like I say, I'd go with the AMD.
Dusan Feb 22 @ 5:49pm 
Go i5, FX 8350 has bad performance.
knoxy2106 Feb 22 @ 6:08pm 
Originally posted by Dusan:
Go i5, FX 8350 has bad performance.
thats not true. The AMD is or can be better than the I5's proven here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE
scottparker1967 Feb 23 @ 1:33am 
what games are you looking at playing? most games are created and developed on an intel system - hence they should run better - there are some exceptions - hence what games are you wanting to play? generally speaking I have found intel to out perform an amd at the same price point. AMD prefer radeon gpus, while intel cpu's work slightly better with an nvidia gpu
Rove (banned) Feb 23 @ 4:13am 
Originally posted by scottparker1967:
what games are you looking at playing? most games are created and developed on an intel system - hence they should run better - there are some exceptions - hence what games are you wanting to play? generally speaking I have found intel to out perform an amd at the same price point. AMD prefer radeon gpus, while intel cpu's work slightly better with an nvidia gpu
By your logic with both the new PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles being made with 8 core AMD CPUs wouldn't games start runnning better on AMD systems?
snuffythegrunt Feb 23 @ 8:56am 
save money and get the fx 8320 easily clocks to 4.2-4.4 without changing the voltage i have both an i7 4770k and an fx 8320 and in most games theirs very little differance,however some like arma 3 its huge but with new games using more threads the fx 8 cores may out preform intels 4
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 22 @ 8:35am
Posts: 15