[CotF] KKiONI Feb 21 @ 3:18pm
NAS transfer speeds
So I got a Seagate NAS a while back and I've been curious as to why the transfer speeds are not all that great.

I have tested it with two devices and this is what the network looks like (each line representing a connection to the NAS):
Laptop (b/g/n) ---(wireless g)---> Router (Mode: b/g) ---(CAT5e)---> NAS
Desktop ---(CAT 4)---> Router (Mode: b/g) ---(CAT 5e)---> NAS

Laptop transfers between 1.5 and 2.5 MB/s and the Desktop transfers between 2 MB/s and 11 MB/s. I tried switching the router to just use g as well as disconnect the device using CAT 4 and it made no difference.

Anyone know what the weakest link may be? At this point, I feel like it might be the NAS.
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
_I_ Feb 21 @ 3:48pm 
does the router have gigabit ports?

wireless g has a max of 54mb/s (5.4MB/s max)
if the router has 10/100 ports, thats 100mb/s (10MB/s max)

solution would be to get a new router, or a gigabit switch
then go desktop - (cat5e) - gigabit switch - nas
then its max will be 1000mb/s (100MB/s max)

wireless n-300+ would work better for the notebook
n300 is 300mb/s (30MB/s max)
Last edited by _I_; Feb 21 @ 3:49pm
[CotF] KKiONI Feb 21 @ 9:37pm 
From what I found on the specs page, it just has 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports. So yeah, looks like I need a newer router.

Although, I still find something perplexing, namely the slow wireless transfer speeds. Even in its given state, it should be getting at most 5.4 MB/s, but it never exceeds 2.5 MB/s. Could it be caused by some sort of overhead?
Bad-Motha Feb 21 @ 10:04pm 
Try using CAT5e or CAT6 cable for any wired devices, including the NAS drive itself.

For any wireless devices, make sure both the Router and your Wireless Adapaters are all set to use G and/or N modes.

For wired over 100mbps, around 10-12Mbps is about all u can expect to get. For wireless the transfer will also vary based on overall signal strength.
[CotF] KKiONI Feb 21 @ 10:13pm 
Originally posted by vadim:
Any WiFi protocol has very high amount of overhead. Especially waiting to implement collision avoidance. Therefore, 54Mbit/sec allows to transfer at most 3MBps information (less than a half of bit rate). I.e. 2.5MBps file transfer speed looks quite normal.
Never knew the overhead could get that bad. Well, that pretty much says it all: I require a better router. It was provided by my ISP, so of course they rarely have the latest and greatest.
MorphineJH Feb 22 @ 8:22am 
As stated, ensure you get a gigabit capable router. The wired connections can recieve the full 1 Gb/s for each device,

On wireless however, even if you get an N router, the 300Mb/s is shared amoung all connected devices. The more you have talking to it, the slower it will get.
[CotF] KKiONI Feb 22 @ 10:40am 
Definitely noted. A lot of my devices are b/g with a few being n, so the wireless front is definitely going to be tricky to clear up.

All this information has been very useful, thanks! I'll see what I can do knowing this now and hopefully I'll be able to rid this ugly bottleneck.
_I_ Feb 22 @ 12:49pm 
a/b/g devices will work with most n routers
[CotF] KKiONI Feb 22 @ 1:47pm 
Just realized it won't be too much of an issue. I was reading somewhere about how that can slow other devices down, but then I realized they were just referring to b.

Anyways, thanks again for the help.
[ROP]Jamebonds1^5 Feb 22 @ 2:32pm 
Transfer on wireless router and laptop are not same speed transfer as USB hard drive. NAS is hard drive network. It is limited to about 125 MB/s on gigabit and wireless G is about 4 to 10 MB/s for transfer. So, either pay about 300 dollar for Wireless AC kit or get gigabit router for 40 dollar.

NOTED: Gigabyte and Gigabit are not same.

This is what I recommend. This router can have hard drive external USB connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320115

I self learning network since I plan to build 100 cubeboard on same network.
Last edited by [ROP]Jamebonds1^5; Feb 22 @ 2:37pm
rotNdude Feb 22 @ 3:16pm 
If you have a NAS with standard 7200 rpm drives, the drives won't be able to do much more than about 1Gb/sec for read speeds. That equates to a 1 Gb/s connection without overhead. Get a different router and put everything on an Ethernet connection if possible.
someone Feb 23 @ 1:46am 
you could also get a gigabyte router/ switch adn connect your current modem to it - then you have fast transfer to / between the computers, but save some dollars - unless you really need the fast internet conenction to all the devices...
[ROP]Jamebonds1^5 Feb 23 @ 2:05am 
Originally posted by scottparker1967:
you could also get a gigabyte router/ switch adn connect your current modem to it - then you have fast transfer to / between the computers, but save some dollars - unless you really need the fast internet conenction to all the devices...

Gigabit not gigabyte. That is 125 MB/s if it is one Gigabit.
[ROP]Jamebonds1^5 Feb 23 @ 10:16am 
Originally posted by vadim:
Originally posted by Jamebonds1:
Gigabit not gigabyte. That is 125 MB/s if it is one Gigabit.
You again forget about overhead. Ethernet has not as much overhead as WiFi (and it already has some additional bitrate - 802.3ab really has 1200 Mbps data transmission speed, not 1000), but all headers and tail (ethernet frame + ip packet wrapper + tcp packet wrapper) and frame intervals slightly reduces transmission speed of useful data (i.e. file). It always less than 110 MBps. Average file transfer speed equals roughly 105 MBps.

No WiFi doesn't beat high end Ethernet because it has 100 Gigabit Ethernet (that part you probably don't see it because it is used in business). I was talk about 802.2AC not AB on last post. Plus, they're pretty expensive than Ethernet 1 Gigabyte. There is only one problem, because with NAS only have ethernet 1 Gigabyte for network. You will only receiving about 1 Gigabyte from NAS if you do this on AC and AB.

This is where I discover math right here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=1+gigabit+to+megabyte+per+second&oq=1+gigabit+to+megabyte+per+sec&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.14183j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

BTW Please don't post if you don't agree with my post. I don't want post delete or locked.
Last edited by [ROP]Jamebonds1^5; Feb 23 @ 10:24am
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 21 @ 3:18pm