Metallikat Feb 20 @ 6:59pm
new to steam and pc, have some questions
hey im new to steam, and pc's really. this is only my second desktop i've had since dial-up. ive pretty much been a console gamer. but i've always been jealous of what pc's offer, and the ability to build and upgrade. so i just ordered this build a few days ago. i dont know a lot yet technically, so i was wondering how my pc would rate for gaming at 1080p for the games of today and how long it should last me if i want high+ settings at a constant?

Processor: i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver
Graphics Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti superclocked acx cooler edition
Cooling: 240mm liquid cooling
SSD: 128GB Samsung EVO Pro
HDD: 1 TB WD Caviar
Optical: bluray
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
The Log Master Feb 20 @ 7:12pm 
Allo! :D For gaming that is a really good rig, also you will be able to overclock the CPU since you have adequete cooling. Lasting for 1080p gaming is anyone's guess, definately at least 2 years, probably a bit less on absolute max settings.
Metallikat Feb 20 @ 7:27pm 
awesome, that's about what i was looking to get out of it for now. i wanna build some cheaper systems to get to know what im doing before i go touching that system. and when that time comes hopefully i just have to throw in another gpu. and by then hopefully that Ti is little cheaper. thanks for the input btw, i appreciate it.

and yeah the cpu will be overclocked 4. - 4.4 i believe.
Last edited by rotNdude; Feb 21 @ 7:19am
The Log Master Feb 20 @ 7:32pm 
Honestly you don't need to fret about putting it all together. It's no more than, well, really expensive leggos. Everything has its place and a few YouTube tutorials should help with that. What I mean to say is, unless you're being paid for the cheaper builds just jump right into this one. And if you do decide to jump straight into this one, wait until the 800 series is announced. It was rumored to be this month and knowing Nvidia (Who have a track record of announcing new cards only a few weeks in advance) it will likely be by, at the very latest, the end of March
Metallikat Feb 20 @ 7:47pm 
ah, that soon huh? i ordered that one online a few days ago, i'll have it within a few weeks. im using a run of the mill laptop right now to hold me over. i was a little nervous attempting my first with the cost of the sum of the parts. thats funny though, ive heard its like legos for adults. i planned on buying a cheaper DIY combo to start. and i can always upgrade the gaming rig when the time comes. i've really been looking forward to the difference from consoles. havent played much PC since diablo 1 came out.
Mozendo Feb 20 @ 7:48pm 
If you can see if you can get a 1440p monitor since that's the optimal resolution for the 780ti.
I'm assuming 1600p should be fine for the 780ti but it won't be able to max out games like it will in 1440p.

The Log Master Feb 20 @ 7:50pm 
Yeah the difference is huge, even in games like CoD the resolution and fps difference is huge. Save the $$$ you'd spend on the other builds and get some games during the steam sales.
Metallikat Feb 20 @ 7:54pm 
I was just about to ask about higher rez monitors. i put most of my cash into the pc, i didnt leave myself much towards one. i figure i'll need that next though. what's a decent 1440p go for? around $600?

yea i picked up like 16 games so far. i got both witcher 1 and 2. been very jealous of that series. was gonna settle on playing 3 on ps4 but then i decided to jump into pc finally.
Last edited by rotNdude; Feb 21 @ 7:20am
The Log Master Feb 20 @ 7:59pm 
With a monitor, you need to consider resolution, refresh rate, color depth, etc. Also, Nvidia GSync ones are set to launch fairly soon. What exactly are you looking for? 120 refresh rate or 60? Higher or lower resolution(Massive effect on performance)? Screen size?
Metallikat Feb 20 @ 8:07pm 
definitely 1440p with 120 refresh prefferably. i have a 1080p already, so i'd definitely want to go up at least. i've heard you can get 1200p as well? screen size, if im not using my big screen, i just assume got a monitor which are what, 19"-31"? probably somewhere in between that
Mozendo Feb 20 @ 8:15pm 
I don't know much about this subject but I remember someone recommending me a Crossover brand 1440p monitor and saying that I could overclock it to 120hz.

I don't remember the exact model but you should look into it.
Metallikat Feb 20 @ 8:23pm 
cool, yeah think ill check that out
The Log Master Feb 20 @ 8:26pm 
Originally posted by Mozendo:
I don't know much about this subject but I remember someone recommending me a Crossover brand 1440p monitor and saying that I could overclock it to 120hz.

I don't remember the exact model but you should look into it.

Overclocking monitors is iffy at best. Best to go with a 60/120hz one and stick with it.

Originally posted by Metallikat:
definitely 1440p with 120 refresh prefferably. i have a 1080p already, so i'd definitely want to go up at least. i've heard you can get 1200p as well? screen size, if im not using my big screen, i just assume got a monitor which are what, 19"-31"? probably somewhere in between that

From what I know there are 720p, 1080p, 1200p, 1440p, 1600p, and 4k. 31" is huge for a monitor, average size is around 22", give or take a few "
The Scion of Balance Feb 20 @ 11:32pm 
hey im new to steam, and pc's really. this is only my second desktop i've had since dial-up. ive pretty much been a console gamer. but i've always been jealous of what pc's offer, and the ability to build and upgrade. so i just ordered this build a few days ago. i dont know a lot yet technically, so i was wondering how my pc would rate for gaming at 1080p for the games of today and how long it should last me if i want high+ settings at a constant?

Processor: i7 4770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z87
Memory: 16GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver
Graphics Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti superclocked acx cooler edition
Cooling: 240mm liquid cooling
SSD: 128GB Samsung EVO Pro
HDD: 1 TB WD Caviar
Optical: bluray

DAT Perfect PC! This rig will last you years!
Metallikat Feb 21 @ 5:29pm 
hey thanks

and yea screensize isnt a huge factor since i'd be sitting close
Last edited by rotNdude; Feb 22 @ 8:31am
The Scion of Balance Feb 21 @ 6:54pm 
hey thanks
If you mean me, then: No problem :D!
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 20 @ 6:59pm