EspiOne Feb 19 @ 12:56pm
Operating System for STEAM Games
First, I want to say, I am new to Steam, I came on board in DEC, 2013, I was on steam many years ago, when I purchased the "Orange Box", I actually purchased at the store, no download, yeah, that long ago. I am also a Certified A+ IT Technician, along with some Microsoft Certifications too. I got on board to steam with the purchase of two game bundles, BIOSHOCK and Borderlands. Since I was mainly gonna play these games I built a PC that met the minimum spec of the latest game, BSI, Q9650 with a 560 GTX Ti on Windows 7. My PSU died on that PC and I pulled out an older PC that ran Vista (yah, Vista), I only uploaded Borderlands 2 and it runs just fine.

When I did the downloads/install for BIOSHOCK bundle, I had issues running them in Windows 7 on the first PC, had to make some change and download extra stuff.

I am looking to re-purchase the "orange box", and a few older games. Which Operating System in your opinion would be better to run? Vista or Windows 7 for steam games?

Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
rotNdude Feb 19 @ 1:54pm 
Vista and Win7 run the same kernel. Your choice.
[☥] - CJ - Feb 19 @ 2:13pm 
Win7 is by far better than Vista.
You having issues could be due to other problems.
IP3NIX Feb 19 @ 2:14pm 
and Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
However you are bound to run in a few problems related with steam and windows 8
Some problems have been fixed on Windows 8.1 but it's still meh, it's acceptable though
SharpObject1 Feb 19 @ 2:20pm 
Windows 7 64-bit is the most stable for gaming I would say.
LaTaleFan1985 Feb 19 @ 8:53pm 
Stick with Windows 7. Trust me, it's better than the trainwreck that is Windows 8 and 8.1.:P
EspiOne Feb 19 @ 9:02pm 
Thanks for all your comments, I will stick with Windows 7, as far as issues with Bioshock 1 & 2, no sound and crashing, I believed the fix was to update Visual distribution, 2005, 2007 and 2010, and then DX. Then run it in compatibility with either XP or Vista, a hassle in my opinion. But I do agree that Windows 7 is the best option. Windows 8 is great, I really like it as a "tablet' OS, but I have it on my alienware M14X and it did have some issues with Borderlands 2. Thanks again.
senseidongen Feb 20 @ 1:46am 
The issues with Bioshock 1 required compatibility mode with vista or XP, as you say, but the sound issue can be fixed by activating something under audio in the control panel - so not as much hassle as you think! still a hassle though

EDIT: From a different discussion (this worked for me):

1. Search for "manage audio devices" in the Start Menu
2. Open the Recording tab.
3. Right click and check "Show Disable Devices." This should reveal an audio device called
Stereo Mix.
4. Right click Stereo Mix and enable it.
Last edited by senseidongen; Feb 20 @ 1:49am
EspiOne Feb 20 @ 6:55am 
I fixed the issue back in DEC, it was just updating (sort of backdating) and installing older versions of Microsoft Visual C++, and .net, I have seem to have had to do this for every game installed on Windows 7, (it does not come pre-installed). I just created a folder with Visual C++ and DX files on a flashdrive. The main reason I ask about OSes, was because, I am planning to build a completely new system and had not decided on an OS, I had been running DX 10 Card for the last 2 years on Vista utlimate 64X. (TriSLI - 8800GTX, 260GTX, and most recently a 295GTX, then I picked up the 560GTX for new/old component system.) I just picked up two eVGA 760GTX for SLI on a ASUS Z87, have not decided on CPU, might go with i5.
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 19 @ 12:56pm