na 30 jan, 2014 @ 21:55
Monitor resolution: 2560x1600 vs 1920x1080 for screen visibility?
It might be a little difficult to understand precisely what I mean. Our monitors are kind of like little windows. While playing a game, you see only what the monitor displays. Different resolutions yield different amounts of information displayed. This question isn't about how much 'gpu power' is required, nor about how worse or better things appear on 1600 vs 1080. This question isn't about frames per second or monitor refresh rate.

This is purely a question about how much more can or cannot be seen when you go from 1920x1080 to 2560x1600. For those with experience (you own a monitor capable of displaying 2560x1600), in various games, is there an increased amount of visibility? To help you illustrate, understand or answer this question, you can load up a game in 2560x1600 and then change the resolution down to 1920x1080 with certain things on screen that might give accurate visual measurements on changes to how much less or more is seen.
< >
Visar 1-9 av 9 kommentarer
Also if you take look this at from angle of FOV.

Most games utilize hFOV (like battlefield 4), so you will see more with 16:9 than 16:10. So in your case you would see more with 1920 x 1080.

"With Hor+ scaling the vertical FOV is fixed while the horizontal FOV is expandable dependent on aspect ratio of the display resolution; a wider aspect ratio gives a wider and bigger FOV. The FOV is independent of the pixel amount of the monitor resolution."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view_in_video_games

But in general I prefer 16:10, because it's better for daily usage.
Senast ändrad av Veristä mössöä; 31 jan, 2014 @ 0:01
na 31 jan, 2014 @ 0:01 
I doubt it holds much relevence, but for my concerns, 2560x1600 excludes a multi-monitor setup. I have been interested in the nature of a multi-monitor setup, but often turned away from the idea at the thought of having the bezel persistently visible. 2560x1600 monitors do exist though, without the use of multiple monitors.

No matter the resolution, I always play with maximum field of view.
Senast ändrad av na; 31 jan, 2014 @ 0:01
Jamebonds1 31 jan, 2014 @ 0:05 
If you have GTX 780 and over, it is worth to get 2560X1600. If not, not a worth it. You might have monitor with bad contrast ratio. I would recommend ASUS with IPS or 120 Hz. Believe or not, they get 144 Hz Monitor.

Ursprungligen skrivet av Touching Hair:
It would depend on the game. Some games do take advantage of higher resolutions and multi-monitor setups allowing you increase your field of view for example while other games will simply stretch the pixel giving you an ugly image.

For anyone else reading: Look at your keyboard, 1920x1080 would display everything from your left shift to your right shift and 2560x1600 would display the entire keyboard.

If you're talk about the actually size as if it were print out as 1080p picture then that is not true. 1080p is about 1 to 4 inch lenght in real life size if pixel were print out. We both know that 24 inch 1080 display are larger all over my Cyborg v7 keyboard. Res size is not important but ppi is.
na 31 jan, 2014 @ 0:14 
Ursprungligen skrivet av Jamebonds1:
If you have GTX 780 and over, it is worth to get 2560X1600. If not, not a worth it. You might have monitor with bad contrast ratio. I would recommend ASUS with IPS or 120 Hz. Believe or not, they get 144 Hz Monitor.

Ursprungligen skrivet av Touching Hair:
It would depend on the game. Some games do take advantage of higher resolutions and multi-monitor setups allowing you increase your field of view for example while other games will simply stretch the pixel giving you an ugly image.

For anyone else reading: Look at your keyboard, 1920x1080 would display everything from your left shift to your right shift and 2560x1600 would display the entire keyboard.

If you're talk about the actually size as if it were print out as 1080p picture then that is not true. 1080p is about 1 to 4 inch lenght in real life size if pixel were print out. We both know that 24 inch 1080 display are larger all over my Cyborg v7 keyboard. Res size is not important but ppi is.

Please, do not discuss matters off topic. I am hoping to have a discussion strictly about monitor resolution and it's effects on what you see, not how pretty those things you see are. Graphics cards, monitor refresh rate, frame rate or anything related isn't applicable. Thanks.

v=EXcpDLyCcic This (youtube) video might give an idea as to what I am referring to. While his resolution is 2560x1080 (instead of 2560x1600), it still appears to give him more 'sight'. i.e., a wider frame of view.
Senast ändrad av na; 31 jan, 2014 @ 0:17
I already answered.

in various games, is there an increased amount of visibility?

No. Because 2560x1600 is 16:10 and 1980 x 1080 is 16:9. Most games utilize hfov so you see less with 16:10 type of monitors.

I don't see how this isn't holding any relevance to your original question.
Senast ändrad av Veristä mössöä; 31 jan, 2014 @ 0:18
Jamebonds1 31 jan, 2014 @ 0:18 
Ursprungligen skrivet av na:
Please, do not discuss matters off topic. I am hoping to have a discussion strictly about monitor resolution and it's effects on what you see, not how pretty those things you see are. Graphics cards, monitor refresh rate, frame rate or anything related isn't applicable. Thanks.

I don't mean to say this, but just don't relpy to anyone if you think it is off topic. It only cause problem. Otherwise this discussion can be locked if can't work with member that tried to help you. Just friendly warning.

Anyway, back to topic. As I research for 2560x1600, not all monitor are great due to low refresh rate are and bad contrast. In fact, the only good monitor are Dell which could cost a thousand dollar. Plus you would need good video card for that gaming thing. Ontelo is correct, it does change visibility. I read wikipedia and it is anwser your question. Some game would stretched on top and bottom on 1600. Lucky for you is you can change game setting from 1600p to 1080p but you will see black bar. More reason why I recommend 1080p IPS or 120 Hz. Good news is you can have mult 2560x1600 if you have dual-link DVI, HDMI and DP.

Here reason why I talk about video card and frame rate. You're talk about PC game. When I had 4:3 at 1650X1050, my gaming work well at max setting but then I got 1080p monitor. What happened after I got that? It is slow down at max setting. That will happens to your computer if you go for 2560X1600 if you have mid-end or older video card with dual-link DVI. That's what I tired to warning you and that does answer your question.
Senast ändrad av Jamebonds1; 31 jan, 2014 @ 1:04
senseidongen 31 jan, 2014 @ 1:29 
As others have said, I believe the aspect ratio defines how much you see, rather than the resolution. So 1600p will be a sharper image, but there won't be more of it (there will even be slightly less, as Ontelo pointed out).

However, getting a sharper image from 1600p only helps if you sit closer than a certain threshold distance where 1080p would start appearing as discernible pixels. So there's an optimum distance for the screen size and resolution, beyond which the image appears smooth (this is similar to how apple design their retina screens). upshot is, you won't see more at 1600p if you're sitting at a distance where it has no tangible advantage over 1080p, you might as well go 1080p
Senast ändrad av senseidongen; 31 jan, 2014 @ 1:30
na 31 jan, 2014 @ 2:15 
Unsurprisingly, inspite of requests for this to not occur, there is a lot of outside discussion to the topic and pointless speculation. I think the answer is, some games will show more, others may not.

I am not interested in thoughts or what some may believe. What is known and what will happen at 2560x1600 in contrast to 1920x1080 is what is wanted to be known, that was the question.

The stuff about refresh rate, frame rate, hardware, the way things look and so on, are irrelevent to the question.
senseidongen 31 jan, 2014 @ 2:20 
Ursprungligen skrivet av na:
Unsurprisingly, inspite of requests for this to not occur, there is a lot of outside discussion to the topic and pointless speculation. I think the answer is, some games will show more, others may not.

I am not interested in thoughts or what some may believe. What is known and what will happen at 2560x1600 in contrast to 1920x1080 is what is wanted to be known, that was the question.

The stuff about refresh rate, frame rate, hardware, the way things look and so on, are irrelevent to the question.
Your question has already been answered by Ontelo. It's a public discussion, things tend to go slightly off-topic but still loosely related.
< >
Visar 1-9 av 9 kommentarer
Per sida: 1530 50

Datum skrivet: 30 jan, 2014 @ 21:55