Cavaleru76 Jan 30 @ 1:30pm
GTX 760 4Gb vs GTX770 2Gb
Hello
I am not decided , what gpu card to choose : GTX 760 4Gb or GTX770 2Gb .
My rig : amd fx 6350 ; mobo 990-xa , 8 Gb DDR3 1600 Mhz , hdd WD 1T , source 500 W no name.

Now , which is more suited for my rig ? 770 to powerfull for this cpu ?
i willl plan a monitor of 1080 p , but right now i am at 1600 x 900 .
Please help
:)
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
< >
time goblin Jan 30 @ 1:34pm 
always opt for the gpu with a higher shader count, the 770 will be faster every time even when more than 2gb is being utilised.
Rumpelcrutchskin Jan 30 @ 1:37pm 
GTX 760 2 Gb.

4 Gb on GTX 760 is mostly pointless, on GTX 770 the 4 Gb would make actually some sense.
Generic 500W PSU will most likely not run GTX 770.
You may need to get a new PSU even with GTX 760 though.
time goblin Jan 30 @ 1:40pm 
Originally posted by Rumpelcrutchskin:
GTX 760 2 Gb.

4 Gb on GTX 760 is mostly pointless, on GTX 770 the 4 Gb would make actually some sense.
Generic 500W PSU will most likely not run GTX 770.
You may need to get a new PSU even with GTX 760 though.

the extra 2gb on the memory buffer would not yield any benefit at 1080p, the gtx 770 2gb is your best bet. how many amps on your 12v rail and do you have the 6 and 8 pin that it needs
Cavaleru76 Jan 30 @ 1:49pm 
Thx, goblin .
really i dont know this , need to open the case ( tommorow :) ).
This i was affraid : the power source need to be replaced .
I want to install this source : OCZ CoreXStream 500W .
and of corse , the 770 is much better even at 2Gb , but expensive with about 50 euro ( coverable ) . But cpu will bottleneck the 770 ?
time goblin Jan 30 @ 1:52pm 
Originally posted by TommyKing:
Thx, goblin .
really i dont know this , need to open the case ( tommorow :) ).
This i was affraid : the power source need to be replaced .
I want to install this source : OCZ CoreXStream 500W .
and of corse , the 770 is much better even at 2Gb , but expensive with about 50 euro ( coverable ) . But cpu will bottleneck the 770 ?

no your cpu will be fine my fx8350@5ghz doesnt bottleneck the gtx 690 which is esentially 2 770's on 1 board. do you have a seperate budget for the psu? where are you buying from?
_I_ Jan 30 @ 1:56pm 
gtx760 is not fast enough to use 4g of vram effectively
go with a 2g ver of it or the 770
Cavaleru76 Jan 30 @ 2:25pm 
hi
PSU : from a local market. I am wandering if this psu can supply enough power to all components . And , by the way , nice cpu you have :) .

Yes , separate budget. The PSU is about 40 euro.
Last edited by rotNdude; Jan 31 @ 7:09am
time goblin Jan 30 @ 2:32pm 
Originally posted by TommyKing:
Yes , separate budget. The PSU is about 40 euro.
ah, not really sure about 500w pulling a 770 it might work but then againt it might not.

maybe get a better psu and a 760 2gb instead.
Cavaleru76 Jan 30 @ 2:48pm 
oh thx , will look for a better psu ! thx again
time goblin Jan 30 @ 2:52pm 
Originally posted by TommyKing:
oh thx , will look for a better psu ! thx again

np the 760 will be plenty powerful for 1600x900 and 1920x1080 anyway
Review Tech USA Feb 1 @ 8:19am 
A 770 would be your best bet, and a 500 watt PSU should be sufficient for it.

You will see a large difference in 1080p from the 760 to a 770, often 20/30+ frames in certain games.
time goblin Feb 1 @ 9:06am 
Look at 670 vs 680 very little difference
Those 2 cards are direct rebadges of 670 and 680
IMO a quality 650w unit and a 760 is his best bet unless he can stretch and get a 770
DeadPhoenix Feb 1 @ 9:36am 
Originally posted by time goblin:
Look at 670 vs 680 very little difference
Those 2 cards are direct rebadges of 670 and 680
IMO a quality 650w unit and a 760 is his best bet unless he can stretch and get a 770

actually a GTX 760 is a little bit slower then a regular GTX 670. a GTX 770 is a overclocked GTX 680.
Cavaleru76 Feb 2 @ 2:47pm 
Hello again

I am really confused : read a lot related to these GPU's.....
I am not yet convinced :760 4Gb , 770 2Gb , OR R9280x 3Gb......
According with reviews / benchmarks , the 770 2Gb is KING up to 2500 x 1600 ( don't know exact values ... ) . The 4K resolution is to much for all 3 ( in single card mode ) , and R9 280x is a little better .
From price , R9 is cheaper with about 30 euro , but I AM NOT Trusting the AMD video drivers ! I had only nvidia....
Lots of people recomend R9 280 x , lots of them recommend 770 - the 2 cards are nearly the same .
Insane in my brain !!!
i am not decided !!!!! :) Please recommend me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i can buy a 770 ( is the expensive one )...
I am thinking on the future proof variant .
In fact 2Gb vs 3Gb : textures , resolutions , etcccccccccccccccccccccc :P:)
Last edited by rotNdude; Feb 3 @ 7:00am
Rumpelcrutchskin Feb 2 @ 3:47pm 
If you run only one 1920x1080 monitor then GTX 770 2 Gb is plenty of power for years.
You will need new PSU with it though, generic 500W is most likely not enough and probably doesnt even have proper PCI-E connectors, you need one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI-E connector for GTX 770.

Good example of the PSU you would need:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650snlb9
Last edited by Rumpelcrutchskin; Feb 2 @ 3:55pm
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 30 @ 1:30pm
Posts: 41