CR-Manuel-278 Jan 30 @ 4:38am
¿Do you recommend me yo turn off the virtual memory?
With 16GB of RAM.

Thanks
Showing 1-15 of 40 comments
< >
ontelo Jan 30 @ 4:40am 
No. Just leave it to auto. Some programs still require it even if there isn't any need. You will only encounter problems if you disable it.

And I recon that you meant page file with virtual memory.

Great answer from anon:
"Leave your page file alone.
Changing it or turning it off does nothing to improve performance. This was an old trick way back in the Win 95/98 days when it would have cost you thousands of dollars to buy a couple gig of memory. If you could afford it, then turning it off was supposed to help some, as Windows didn't manage memory, processor usage, or the pagefile as well as it does now. It was also a fact that hard drives were mud slogging slow compared to todays drives. All this no longer pertains or makes any sense if you are running Windows XP or later, and halfway modern hardware."
Last edited by ontelo; Jan 30 @ 4:44am
CR-Manuel-278 Jan 30 @ 4:43am 
¿Would it be a good idea to at least turn it to a minum of 200MB and a max of 1GB?

Leaving it in auto set it to 2GB.

_I_ Jan 30 @ 4:43am 
you can turn it down to around 2-4g if you want
ontelo Jan 30 @ 4:46am 
If you are seriously concerned about performance impact (which is almost 0 with modern operating systems) - buy SSD.
CR-Manuel-278 Jan 30 @ 4:51am 
I'm on an SSD. The reason about disabling virtual memory is to see if I can save some lifetime to the drive.

ontelo Jan 30 @ 5:19am 
If you have relatively modern SSD, you don't need to worry about lifetime. It probably going to last so long that you want to upgrade you drive/computer even couple of times before it dies from excessive writing.

Check this:
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/558746089928515140/
Last edited by ontelo; Jan 30 @ 5:21am
CR-Manuel-278 Jan 30 @ 5:29am 
Okey. Thanks you (Both of you) very much :)
senseidongen Jan 30 @ 7:12am 
Interesting reading on the subject:
http://techreport.com/review/25889/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-500tb-update

Yeahh, don't think anyone's SSD is going to wear out soon!
[☥] - CJ - Jan 30 @ 8:01am 
You could always benchmark your SSD with and without the pagefile.
The main thing would be the pagefile uses up HD space, which the thing to do would either be to disable it or lower the amount used.

I tested my system with the pagefile disabled a while back, i encountered zero problems. in the end i re-enabled it for the hell of it. But either way i encountered no problems running games/apps with it disabled,
UberFiend Jan 30 @ 9:15am 
With 16gb ram there is no need for paging file, it's a relic from the 32bit era.

I recommend not using it. There is no danger of anything crashing because of it. I & many others been running like this for years.

Why have memory at all if you're just going to load a program from the hard drive back onto the hard drive.
ontelo Jan 30 @ 11:32am 
Guys get your facts straight (example from here):
http://lifehacker.com/5426041/understanding-the-windows-pagefile-and-why-you-shouldnt-disable-it

- The big problem with disabling your pagefile is that once you've exhausted the available RAM, your apps are going to start crashing, since there's no virtual memory for Windows to allocate

- If you've got plenty of RAM in your PC, and your workload really isn't that huge, you may never run into application crashing errors with the pagefile disabled, but you're also taking away from memory that Windows could be using for read and write caching for your actual documents and other files.

- Windows 7 includes a file caching mechanism called SuperFetch that caches the most frequently accessed application files in RAM so your applications will open more quickly. It's one of the many reasons why Windows 7 feels so much more "snappy" than previous versions—and disabling the pagefile takes away RAM that Windows could be using for caching.

- By disabling it, you are forcing Windows to keep everything in much faster RAM all the time. The problem with this logic is that it only really affects a single scenario: switching to an open application that you haven't used in a while won't ever grind the hard drive when the pagefile is disabled. It's not going to actually make your PC faster, since Windows will never page the application you are currently working with anyway.

Do not disable it, unless you are using windows xp or older.
Last edited by ontelo; Jan 30 @ 11:34am
time goblin Jan 30 @ 12:34pm 
just turn it off if you are using a 60gb ssd like me for the os then it just frees up some space
Carlsberg Jan 30 @ 6:35pm 
I have page file off, superfetch disabled. not because it increases performance but simply because they are not needed, i run an ssd with 16Gb memory and i have never had an issue.

however, superfetch should improve performance with a mechanical drive.
Last edited by Carlsberg; Jan 30 @ 6:36pm
JLH Jan 30 @ 9:56pm 
to make sure my ssd last a long time I have 3 internal standard hdd's for backups and games and I have my page filing set to my D drive as my ssd is my C drive.
UberFiend Jan 31 @ 12:43am 
Originally posted by ontelo:
Guys get your facts straight (example from here):
once you've exhausted the available RAM, your apps are going to start crashing,

- If you've got plenty of RAM in your PC, you may never run into application crashing errors with the pagefile disabled,

- By disabling it, you are forcing Windows to keep everything in much faster RAM all the time.

but you're also taking away from memory that Windows could be using for read and write caching for your actual documents and other files.

disabling the pagefile takes away RAM that Windows could be using for caching.

"get your facts straight"

since Windows will never page the application you are currently working with anyway.

programs often use pagefile when half the ram is still empty, not when it becomes full as they should.

Do not disable it, unless you are using windows xp or older.

"get your facts straight"

page filing is a dinosaur from the xp era but was not essential even then. However by your arguments it would be more required with XP or older not less.

Key words: Sufficient RAM - it's faster than paging file & if you have enough there is never a need for paging file. End of story.
Showing 1-15 of 40 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 30 @ 4:38am