Scar Jul 1, 2015 @ 11:58am
Is my AMD CPU too hot?? (non over-clocked)
Specs....

Motherboard: MSI A88x-G45
AMD Athlon tm X4 860K Quad Core processor 3.70GHZ
12GB Ram
AMD Radeon R7 260x 1GB Gpu

On idle it runs on around 30 degrees and while gaming it goes upto about 55 degrees, is this too hot for an AMD Processor??

I've bought a desktop fan today, and placed it in front of my machine for extra Air-Flow, try keep it cool.

also i have a water cooler corsair hydra 55, and the radiator does get hot but, i'm not sure if its working entirely, , is the temp of the machine fine or??, naturally id be happy with it if it ran at 45 degrees
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
As long as you're under 60C for AMD, you're fine. Cooler is always better, but you're not in a bad position with temps.
Scar Jul 1, 2015 @ 12:14pm 
Originally posted by FluffyPinkDecoyBunny:
As long as you're under 60C for AMD, you're fine. Cooler is always better, but you're not in a bad position with temps.

Naturally it use to be around 45-47 degrees, so why its gone up is beyond my knowdledge tbh, i guess im a little paranoid cause i know 60C is bad and im not far from that, atm im getting 55C-58C so its puzzling me literally xD
Scar Jul 1, 2015 @ 12:32pm 
Originally posted by McSwifty:
Dust.

Ive cleaned the system out completely i belive, would i need to re-apply thermal paste to my system do you think?
_I_ Jul 1, 2015 @ 12:37pm 
max on amd cpus is 62 or 72c

as long as its not throttling its fine
Scar Jul 1, 2015 @ 12:38pm 
Originally posted by _I_:
max on amd cpus is 62 or 72c

as long as its not throttling its fine

i dont think it is aha, any other way to decrease the temp?
rotNdude Jul 1, 2015 @ 12:39pm 
The ambient temperature of the room will dictate the temperature of the computer components when they are stressed. The computer components can never operate under the ambient temperature unless you use refrigerated cooling. That temperature is just fine.
Scar Jul 1, 2015 @ 12:40pm 
Originally posted by rotNdude:
The ambient temperature of the room will dictate the temperature of the computer components when they are stressed. The computer components can never operate under the ambient temperature unless you use refrigerated cooling. That temperature is just fine.

I Admit its quite warm where i am, tbh, even with all windows open :/
upcoast Jul 1, 2015 @ 2:26pm 
Originally posted by AOD_Scarborough:
Originally posted by rotNdude:

I think you've answered your own question but maybe be a little more observant than "quite warm".

Even 45-47 load normally sounds some what bad considering you've got water cooling.

I don't go over 50c on a x4 965BE 1.42v with a cm212plus with outside temps being 30c in the shade.

So yes for what you've got cpu/cooler yes your temps are bad even your normal load in cooler weather temps are bad.

Where do you live what's the temp out side the house and inside?
Last edited by upcoast; Jul 1, 2015 @ 2:26pm
Scar Jul 1, 2015 @ 3:51pm 
Originally posted by upcoast:
Originally posted by AOD_Scarborough:

I think you've answered your own question but maybe be a little more observant than "quite warm".

Even 45-47 load normally sounds some what bad considering you've got water cooling.

I don't go over 50c on a x4 965BE 1.42v with a cm212plus with outside temps being 30c in the shade.

So yes for what you've got cpu/cooler yes your temps are bad even your normal load in cooler weather temps are bad.

Where do you live what's the temp out side the house and inside?

I live in the UK, not sure about temp but i know its been pretty damn hot for last week or two, i got told 60 degrees is what they can go up to but , just making certain
Rove Jul 1, 2015 @ 4:27pm 
Your PC is okay.

I think the Athlon II x4 860K and other FM1/FM2/FM2+ based APUs can go as high as 70C or so. While I think AMD FX CPUs are some Phenom IIs are only supposed to go to like 60C.

If it's under 60C either way don't worry too much.

As you have noted ambient temperature will play a important role in how hot it gets. Don't expect it to be cooler than ambient. Also the temperature in the case (if that's where the air for the radiator is coming from) can make a difference.

Your temperatures might not be ideal but they are also not dangerous.

You could try buying some good quality thermal paste and re-installing your watercooler. First clean all the old paste off with alcohol or some other cleanser and paper towel. Then re-apply the new paste and reinstall the cooler. That might fix any problem if have got like if you got a bad connection between coolerplate and CPU last time or got a hair or some fluff or something between the two.
Last edited by Rove; Jul 1, 2015 @ 4:30pm
Scar Jul 1, 2015 @ 5:04pm 
Originally posted by Rove:
Your PC is okay.

I think the Athlon II x4 860K and other FM1/FM2/FM2+ based APUs can go as high as 70C or so. While I think AMD FX CPUs are some Phenom IIs are only supposed to go to like 60C.

If it's under 60C either way don't worry too much.

As you have noted ambient temperature will play a important role in how hot it gets. Don't expect it to be cooler than ambient. Also the temperature in the case (if that's where the air for the radiator is coming from) can make a difference.

Your temperatures might not be ideal but they are also not dangerous.

You could try buying some good quality thermal paste and re-installing your watercooler. First clean all the old paste off with alcohol or some other cleanser and paper towel. Then re-apply the new paste and reinstall the cooler. That might fix any problem if have got like if you got a bad connection between coolerplate and CPU last time or got a hair or some fluff or something between the two.

cheers dude ill try that, i think i need some paste for my gpu anyways, would gpuy temp effect cpu temp?
Rove Jul 1, 2015 @ 5:44pm 
GPU and CPU temp only effect each other in terms of how much they increase the ambient inside the case. CPU or GPU can make the case hot and make the other one and itself hot.

Adding more case cooling will prevent the case from getting hot.

Adding new paste to your GPU is a little harder than to your CPU and not as advisable since the GPU cooler is et on at the factory (unless you got a custom cooler on it) so be careful with that and make sure you know what you are doing.
Scar Jul 1, 2015 @ 7:09pm 
Originally posted by Rove:
GPU and CPU temp only effect each other in terms of how much they increase the ambient inside the case. CPU or GPU can make the case hot and make the other one and itself hot.

Adding more case cooling will prevent the case from getting hot.

Adding new paste to your GPU is a little harder than to your CPU and not as advisable since the GPU cooler is et on at the factory (unless you got a custom cooler on it) so be careful with that and make sure you know what you are doing.
i mean my radeon r7 260x case just screws right off???
Bad 💀 Motha Jul 1, 2015 @ 8:08pm 
Unless the GPU is having thermal issues or is at least a year or so old, new paste shouldn't be needed.

For GPU dust cleaning or thermal paste cleaning; just do an online search
"how to disassemble r7 260" (or your other GPUs)
and u should come across some helpful YouTube vids
Scar Jul 2, 2015 @ 5:26am 
Originally posted by Bad-Motha:
Unless the GPU is having thermal issues or is at least a year or so old, new paste shouldn't be needed.

For GPU dust cleaning or thermal paste cleaning; just do an online search
"how to disassemble r7 260" (or your other GPUs)
and u should come across some helpful YouTube vids

didnt need youtube vids took it off with no knowledge easily, seems paste was wearing thin and i think i did have it over a year anyway its been re-applied and installed a new coolmasters fan in side of my case atm getting 34 C standby gonna test gaming now
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jul 1, 2015 @ 11:58am