BitsWontByte Jul 14, 2014 @ 5:30am
Controller
Hey guys and girls,
I've never been much of a console gamer, not since my N64/Gamecube days anyways. But some of my games are originally ported from Xbox games and therefore would work very well with a controller. A few others are just a bit awkward with a keyboard and mouse.
Which brings me to my question - What do you all recommend for a controller? I was initially thinking a 360 controller, but I wanted to get some opinions before I go out and find one. Thanks!

EDIT : My preference is toward a wired controller, unless there is an outstanding reason to go wireless
Last edited by BitsWontByte; Jul 14, 2014 @ 6:55am
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
_I_ Jul 14, 2014 @ 5:56am 
any brand wired 360
or any wireless 360 if you can get a ms branded reciever

sometimes this is on sale for $35
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109243
Microsoft JR9-00011 Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows
includes a ms reciever

the play & charege kit will not turn a wireless controller into a wired controller
they will still need the reciever, the cable will only charge the controller
Last edited by _I_; Jul 14, 2014 @ 6:03am
Bad 💀 Motha Jul 14, 2014 @ 6:25am 
Please know that the wireless controllers do not come with a rechargable battery by default. They use standard 2x AA batteries; if you wish to use a rechargable battery, you either would have to buy AA rechargables or buy a "Rechargable battery pack for 360 controller"

Stanard AA batteries last a good while if u buy good ones. But that will of course be determined by how often you play/use your controller. I tried ones like Cosco Kirkland and they did not last nearly as long as Duracell or Energizer.
Last edited by Bad 💀 Motha; Jul 14, 2014 @ 6:25am
BitsWontByte Jul 14, 2014 @ 6:54am 
Originally posted by _I_:
any brand wired 360
or any wireless 360 if you can get a ms branded reciever

sometimes this is on sale for $35
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109243
Microsoft JR9-00011 Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows
includes a ms reciever

the play & charege kit will not turn a wireless controller into a wired controller
they will still need the reciever, the cable will only charge the controller

Thanks for your suggestion!

Originally posted by Bad-Motha:
Please know that the wireless controllers do not come with a rechargable battery by default. They use standard 2x AA batteries; if you wish to use a rechargable battery, you either would have to buy AA rechargables or buy a "Rechargable battery pack for 360 controller"

Stanard AA batteries last a good while if u buy good ones. But that will of course be determined by how often you play/use your controller. I tried ones like Cosco Kirkland and they did not last nearly as long as Duracell or Energizer.

Thanks for the info, I guess I forgot to mention that I am looking for a wired controller haha
Air Jul 14, 2014 @ 7:50am 
Originally posted by _I_:
any brand wired 360
Well, a first-party controller would be preferred. Third-party controller manufacturers don't always get the deadzones and sensitivity fully correct.
Plasmodium Jul 21, 2014 @ 7:00am 
Hope you don't mind me hijacking/resurrecting your thread, @†<CC>< Penguin.Trooper (I figure it's better than starting a whole new thread about more or less the same thing), but what did you go with in the end? What are your thoughts?

And @Air, when you say "first-party", I guess you mean Microsoft specifically, but are there other brands that are at the same level (for a decent price). Like, Logitech and so on? Are there any that you'd reccommend as good value/cheap (I'd only be using it every now and then, so the £25 for an official Microsoft one seems a little steep).

Thanks guys!
BitsWontByte Jul 21, 2014 @ 5:23pm 
I went with a name-brand wired Xbox 360. Found a new one at a local game store for $40 USD, Love it so far, works great with the games I wanted it for
JPod Jul 21, 2014 @ 5:49pm 
The best controller for PC is the Xbox 360. It is the only controller that has been worked on the most to use. I prefer the Wii U pro controller but it steam never coded it for the controll sticks to work correctly.
Saint Aug 20, 2014 @ 6:24pm 
Thanks all... that was very usefull!!!
infamex Apr 8, 2015 @ 10:03pm 
ok i know this thread is kinda old but i have a 360 xbox but now am getting into steam games like cs,half life and team fortress and hopefully other fps games. my question would be is it better to go with a keyboard or a controller for a person like me thats has had console games and is new to the keyboard usage? and also i do have 360 controllers and xbox one too do i need to download any drivers or anything of that sort if am using the 1st party controller or 3rd party controller since am using my desktop any advise would be appricated thanks. oh and what games would work on the controller too like which work best and stuff like that?
Last edited by infamex; Apr 8, 2015 @ 10:04pm
BitsWontByte Apr 9, 2015 @ 8:09am 
From my experience, you do not need anything special for the controllers - my 360 controller just plugs in and plays. I personally prefer mouse + keyboard for really any FPS game (I think many people would agree). Controllers are more comfortable for me in side scrollers, racing or third person games. As far as what games work, check the store page for any game, and one of the tags will say partial or full controller support if supported at all. If you would like, I can send you a list of the games in my library that I feel are very nice with a controller, etc.
infamex Apr 9, 2015 @ 5:32pm 
yeah thanks this helped alot but what would be the ideal keyboard/mouse since I have e regular keyboard. like what brand would work since am kinda new to the steam way of gaming lol and in games I myself have cs,tf,l4d,half life, zombie panic source,survarium,apb, penny arcade,dota and super house of dead ninja (dont judge me i like all games lol) and probably go with third person like aliens and such. but seen me your list so then i can have an idea on which games use controllers. and thank alot for the info any would help
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jul 14, 2014 @ 5:30am