Mr Moopsy Jul 2, 2014 @ 11:53am
Upgrade to Windows 8?
I currently have (edit) windows 7 ultimate

So, the question is...should I "upgrade" to windows 8 pro 64bit and then 8.1

I hear there are performance gains. Smaller OS size. Better multimonitor support.
But honestly. What do you guys think.

Worth the upgrade?

Newegg has a deal so its only 100$ right now. so...about $40 off normal price.
Last edited by Mr Moopsy; Jul 2, 2014 @ 5:43pm
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Air Jul 2, 2014 @ 12:45pm 
Well, normally I'd say that it's worth it but I've heard that Windows 9 is expected to come around early next year.
undeadwarlock Jul 2, 2014 @ 5:39pm 
Nothing wrong with Windows 8...now it's at Ver 8.1.1....latest patches have enabled boot to desktop so you virtually have no need to see the Metro screen...next patch will re-enable the missing Start Menu it seems no one can live without but you can easily...it's faster than 7 and all round better OS. I've been using it since release (Win 8 Pro 64bit) and while I wasn't impressed with the Metro Screen and it's less than intuitive help initially I've found my way around and quite frankly I wouldn't go back to 7 if you paid me. It's rumoured that Windows 9 will be a free upgrade for those using Windows 8 so theres that to consider.
Mr Moopsy Jul 2, 2014 @ 5:45pm 
Interesting.

I should mention I was wrong earlier. I have windows 7 ultimate, not pro.

I dont know if that makes a difference in peoples opinion in whether or not to upgrade.
Trm Jul 2, 2014 @ 10:23pm 
Originally posted by Mr Moopsy:
Interesting.

I should mention I was wrong earlier. I have windows 7 ultimate, not pro.

I dont know if that makes a difference in peoples opinion in whether or not to upgrade.
i dont think that would change people opinion on upgrading windows 8 or 8.1 has gotten alot of bad press about the metro stuff the start menu etc

i use windows 8.1 myself and i find it to be a stable fast os, it boots alot quicker then my windows 7 used to on the same m4 ssd

windows 8 witht he emtro start system some people love it some hate it

windows 8.1 on the most part is as satble as windows 7 was i only have windows 8 and thats due to the £24.99 realse price when it was on speciel and i dont regreat it at all
Bad-Motha Jul 2, 2014 @ 10:30pm 
Since it's not far off, I would just wait for Win9 if u already using Win7. Doesn't make much sense to pay for Win8 now when Win9 will be out April 2015.

Now if this was a new build that required a new OS product key, then I would say yes to getting Win8.1

FYI, Microsoft is requiring OS users to install the latest major update (SP1 for Win7 users, and 8.1 for Win8 users) in order to keep getting updates for those OS. If you buy a new OS license or hard copy; make sure it is the latest one (Win7 SP1 or Win8.1) as this will help to cut down on the amount of Windows Updates you'll need to perform in order to get the OS fully up to date.
Azza ☠ Jul 2, 2014 @ 10:53pm 
Ugh NO! They couldn't even giveaway Win 8 for FREE (and they have tried 7 times so far). The latest giveaway is to Window Phone users and hardware supporters.

Microsoft can't sell Windows 8, so it's giving it away...

They "mistakenly" gave pirates unlimited legal full versions (lifetime).

They "mistakenly" gave all trial version users a way to upgrade to full legal copy for FREE (lifetime) from their own servers.

They offered Win 7 users some FREE upgrades to it.

Some of the latest giveaway for it:

Search your school (if listed) and get FREE Windows 8.1 Pro.

Search for Windows 8.1 with BING (it's a freebee version offically provide by Microsoft but with adware in it), but it costs you an entire $0 (for hardware supporters)!

Get Windows 8 from multiple charities and donations done by Microsoft.

Manufacturers will be charged only $15 to license Windows 8.1 on preinstalled small devices.

However Win 8 < Win 7, it's a cheaper cross-platform OS for Touch Screen, Windows Phone and XBone, etc... not even designed for PC. With an inbuild micro-transaction store to charge you to get more features.

Even after all of that, the market share of Win 8 still remains at an all time low of 10%, the same as Win Vista (but on top of that, most of them wheren't even purchased). Win 7 is approx 47%. Win XP is approx 25%.

Stick with Win 7 or at least wait till Win 9. There will be a discontinue of Win 8.2 and Win 9 will end up as it's replacement. A fixed up version of Win 8 with Desktop Mode re-introduced.

Performance gain in Win 8:

Faster boot time (due to having less background services - disable some in Win 7 and/or use SSD cache for even faster 1-5 sec boot and shutdown)

1-3 FPS faster gaming, umm okay, really... What difference will that do when I'm already running at 60 fps+. Just get a better graphics card, such as the Nvidia GTX 780. Then wait for DirectX 12 (oh wait, they will only native support that on Win 9 - but backwards part support on Win 7 and 8).

Win 8 will be Microsofts most shortest lived OS yet... they are dumping it, but might even offer FREE or DISCOUNTED upgrades to those on it to get to Win 9.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Jul 2, 2014 @ 11:21pm
BOOMY Jul 3, 2014 @ 1:41am 
I used 7 and 8/8.1 for quite awhile and since upgrading to 8.1 I haven't thought about going back to 7 once. I agree with some others though, if you are currently using 7 stick with it till 9 gets released.
Fork_Q2 (Banned) Jul 3, 2014 @ 2:10am 
Ignore the ignorant haters, Windows 8 is fine in it's current state. You probably won't gain much from upgrading from 7 to 8 however, so I would put it off.

Originally posted by Azza ☠:
Win 8 will be Microsofts most shortest lived OS yet... they are dumping it, but might even offer FREE or DISCOUNTED upgrades to those on it to get to Win 9.

Microsoft will be releasing OSes more quickly and frequently, no more giant gambles like Vista with it's seven years in the making. Every version of Windows from 7 onwards would likely be "short lived" until a successor arrives.
Last edited by rotNdude; Jul 3, 2014 @ 9:02am
ATW Jul 3, 2014 @ 3:35am 
Originally posted by Azza ☠:
Ugh NO! They couldn't even giveaway Win 8 for FREE (and they have tried 7 times so far). The latest giveaway is to Window Phone users and hardware supporters.

Microsoft can't sell Windows 8, so it's giving it away...

They "mistakenly" gave pirates unlimited legal full versions (lifetime).

They "mistakenly" gave all trial version users a way to upgrade to full legal copy for FREE (lifetime) from their own servers.

They offered Win 7 users some FREE upgrades to it.

Some of the latest giveaway for it:

Search your school (if listed) and get FREE Windows 8.1 Pro.

Search for Windows 8.1 with BING (it's a freebee version offically provide by Microsoft but with adware in it), but it costs you an entire $0 (for hardware supporters)!

Get Windows 8 from multiple charities and donations done by Microsoft.

Manufacturers will be charged only $15 to license Windows 8.1 on preinstalled small devices.

However Win 8 < Win 7, it's a cheaper cross-platform OS for Touch Screen, Windows Phone and XBone, etc... not even designed for PC. With an inbuild micro-transaction store to charge you to get more features.

Even after all of that, the market share of Win 8 still remains at an all time low of 10%, the same as Win Vista (but on top of that, most of them wheren't even purchased). Win 7 is approx 47%. Win XP is approx 25%.

Stick with Win 7 or at least wait till Win 9. There will be a discontinue of Win 8.2 and Win 9 will end up as it's replacement. A fixed up version of Win 8 with Desktop Mode re-introduced.

Performance gain in Win 8:

Faster boot time (due to having less background services - disable some in Win 7 and/or use SSD cache for even faster 1-5 sec boot and shutdown)

1-3 FPS faster gaming, umm okay, really... What difference will that do when I'm already running at 60 fps+. Just get a better graphics card, such as the Nvidia GTX 780. Then wait for DirectX 12 (oh wait, they will only native support that on Win 9 - but backwards part support on Win 7 and 8).

If your objective was to make me not like microsoft/win8 after that post then it didn't work
Last edited by ATW; Jul 3, 2014 @ 3:36am
Azza ☠ Jul 3, 2014 @ 11:45am 
Originally posted by blackwater:
If your objective was to make me not like microsoft/win8 after that post then it didn't work

To clarify - If you have Win 7, there is no point of getting Win 8 at this moment (Win 7 is even more expensive and you will hardly gain anything from the change - unless you use Touch Screen)... wait till Win 9 (which will be the fixed up version of Win 8 with desktop mode for PC users). Why would I suggest another OS, if my objective was to make you hate Microsoft? Yes I think Win 8 was a major mistake, just like Vista (Win 7 was a fixed up version of that, created actually before it)... plus they completely ignored PC gamers with Win 8, wanting to focus more the money making media side and smaller devices.

However they do use them as a stepping stone (finding out what works and what doesn't). It's a tick/tock development cycle.

So to sum it up: I'm just another ignorant hater, like all the other 90% of the world. And not offering any help at all, such as suggesting to hold off till at least Win 9 instead (Win 8 recreated), due to the fact Microsoft themselves are dumping Win 8 as one of their worst failures to date, ripping the 'Metro' brand from it.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Jul 3, 2014 @ 11:53am
Mr Moopsy Jul 3, 2014 @ 11:41pm 
Thanks guys. I think I will stick with 7 for a while then
Julian Assange Jul 4, 2014 @ 12:10am 
I'm currently running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit dual booted. Just dualboot. Windows 8.1 pro gets better gaming performance.
TheDeception Jul 4, 2014 @ 1:10am 
I'm running 8.1 and love it!! I wouldn't go back to 7 either..
Mr Moopsy Jul 4, 2014 @ 1:37am 
My understanding is yeah, 8.1 is better in a number of ways. But with 9 around the corner it very well could just be a waste of money.
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Jul 2, 2014 @ 11:53am