corvah Jul 2 @ 9:48am
which 780 to get?
I'm gonna upgrade to an gtx780, but haven't got the slightest idea of which brand, and which model in that brand is the best. Which model is the best?
Also, does the TI make a big difference? And do you think that the 780 will run ultra at 60fps for the next year or two?
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
< >
Rumpelcrutchskin Jul 2 @ 10:08am 
Depends on your monitor. For one 1920x1080 the GTX 780 is plenty and then some.
For 2560x1440 you would need at least GTX 780 Ti, two of them even better for solid 60 fps.

Asus GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 is quite good GTX 780 card, very nice and quiet cooling solution with backplate.
corvah Jul 2 @ 11:40am 
Originally posted by Rumpelcrutchskin:
Depends on your monitor. For one 1920x1080 the GTX 780 is plenty and then some.
For 2560x1440 you would need at least GTX 780 Ti, two of them even better for solid 60 fps.

Asus GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 is quite good GTX 780 card, very nice and quiet cooling solution with backplate.
I have a 1920x1080 res screen, so a gtx780 will run the heaviest games on 60 fps?
Powl Jul 2 @ 11:58am 
Judging from the fact that my 770 gets 60fps at 1080p in all games I played on it so far, usually on Ultra (High in rare cases), yes a 780 will get 60fps in the heaviest games.

However, have you thought about a R9 290X? Performs a bit better than the 780 while costing less. However consumes more power and runs hotter.
Azza ☠ Jul 2 @ 12:25pm 
The GTX 680 or GTX 770 (a recreated version of the GTX680 with extra boost) is optimal for maxing out ultra settings at 1080p resolutions. You can get 60 FPS at high/ultra settings so long your monitor is 1080p, they will run smoothly, but increased resolutions will have them laggy.

The GTX 780 series is getting into the 1440p (2560x1600) resolutions and/or duel/tri monitors. A standard card could easy run 60 FPS at high/ultra settings. The GTX 780Ti is getting into overkill.

ASUS or EVGA are the leading, best supported brands. You might desire them for better warranty and support if something goes wrong. However, other brands might be cheaper.

What really counts is the cooling/fan system. Get duel custom fans is highly recommended. Such as the ASUS DirectCU II vs EVGA ACX Cooler. They will run quieter and provide better performance at cooler temperatures. Don't even bother with overclocking, this is more for quality. The EVGA is a better performer but the ASUS is quieter and cooler.

Note at 1080p the GTX780 is approx only 15% faster than the GTX770, but at 1440p that 780 card can double or triple in performance, while the 770 card tends to start bottlenecking. Therefore consider prices vs monitor resolution you want to stick with or upgrade to.

ps: Ignore AMD, they used Mantle third party software to give them a boost. Nvidia focused more on hardware. This is because DirectX 12 is 100% supported by them and will bring all late model Nvidia cards to Mantle-like low end calls and performance. Therefore in the future, lots of Nvidia cards will be given a free boost and future support.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Jul 2 @ 12:29pm
corvah Jul 2 @ 1:37pm 
Originally posted by BDK:
Why would you want a 780 for 1080p (or 1200p) gaming? Makes no sense.
main reason for a gpu upgrade is heavy game modding (Fallout, skyrim) and to max out next gen games (mainly Witcher 3) at 60fps
corvah Jul 2 @ 1:42pm 
Try maxing out Witcher 2 first with a single 780 TI and see how that works (it won't).
only problem with W2 is ubersampling, that setting makes a HUGE impact on your fps. with that of you'll easily run ultra on 60fps with a 780
twitch.tv/boomytwitch Jul 2 @ 2:39pm 
Why would you want a 780 for 1080p (or 1200p) gaming? Makes no sense.
Try maxing out Witcher 2 first with a single 780 TI and see how that works (it won't).

Totally contradictory.
shiel Jul 2 @ 3:55pm 
... Yes it will.
Azza ☠ Jul 2 @ 5:57pm 
I can max out any game on ultra settings at 1440p with a single GTX 780, no lag or issues... isn't even TI. You need to look else where for bottlenecks, if your still lagging with that beast!

As for Witcher 2, well that will of course lag a bit, if Ubersampling is turned on when also using high resolution > 1080p. I can confirm that on ultra with ubersampling on i ran at about 46 fps+ on 1920x1080. However, with ubersampling on higher resolutions this would drop. Without ubersampling on 1440p framerate was back up to 95 fps+ easy.

People just don't understand basic game settings.

Witcher 2's Ubersampling uses 4x SSAA among other things. If you're playing at 1920 x 1080, multiply that number by 4 and that's the amount of pixels the game is rendering. Now try that again at higher resolutions and your video memory and CPU processing may vomit. Ubersampling is just a ridiculous form of AA, requiring more processing power to do something which is applied to each screen frame that appears just for split seconds.

But boy doesn't it look prutty?!?!!

It completely eliminates jaggies while making scene sharp as possible.

It offers best image quality out there, but it comes with a cost: Ridiculously powerful PC(SLI/Crossfire with High end GPU) is required.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Jul 2 @ 6:02pm
Falro the Great Jul 2 @ 6:01pm 
Originally posted by Azza ☠:
Witcher 2's Ubersampling uses 4x SSAA among other things. If you're playing at 1920 x 1080, multiply that number by 4 and that's the amount of pixels the game is rendering. Now try that again at higher resolutions and your video memory and CPU processing may vomit.

God, Witcher 2 in 4K with Uber...*drools*

Though likely it'd take at least a Titan Black, if not a Z, to play it right.

On a side note, I love PC gaming and how we can have discussions about breaking the limits daily, and yet in five years we'll wonder how we ever dealt with "mere 4K".
Azza ☠ Jul 2 @ 6:06pm 
Nvidia Pascal released in 2016+ will be able to do 4K (UltraHD) in a heartbeat:
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/25/gpu-roadmap-pascal/

It's unlocked a bandwidth cap they have been fighting with for 12 years+ and uses 3D (stacked) memory. The PCI-e (16GB/s) slot on the motherboard will be replaced with the NV Link *(80GB/s). Therefore it's a possiblility to be able to transfer an entire bluray movie into video card memory in 1/50th of a second!?!!?! 4K monitors shouldn't be any issue then. I would however advice, purchasing something good now, then holding off. Prices will be stacked with 30% markup to start with and entry level will come out slowly first. Best to wait till it's the norm.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Jul 2 @ 6:07pm
Falro the Great Jul 2 @ 6:08pm 
Originally posted by Azza ☠:
Nvidia Pascal released in 2016+ will be able to do 4K (UltraHD) in a heartbeat:
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/25/gpu-roadmap-pascal/

It's unlocked a bandwidth cap they have been fighting with for 12 years+ and uses 3D (stacked) memory. The PCI-e (16GB/s) slot on the motherboard will be replaced with the NV Link *(80GB/s). Therefore it's a possiblility to be able to transfer an entire bluray movie into video card memory in 1/50th of a second!?!!?! 4K monitors shouldn't be any issue then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccoj5lhLmSQ
Richard M. Nixon Jul 2 @ 6:14pm 
If you're deciding which manufacturer to go with, I would suggest evga. They have a lifetime warranty that covers overclocking (as long as you don't physically damage the card). I've had to work with them for RMAs before and it's easy to do and they shipped replacement parts to me quickly.
Azza ☠ Jul 2 @ 6:15pm 
Simply put - 5-12 times more graphical power to come, but do you need it yet?

You will likely see next generation PC within 2-3 years (2016+). Nvidia has future proofed their previous cards to continue supporting lower resolutions extremely well, but the later cards will be great for 4K, etc. Want to stay at 1080p, get a GTX 680 or 770. Want 1440p, then get GTX 780+. Your performance will be given an extra boost too at a later date when DirectX 12 arrives, making them outperform AMD which uses Mantle instead.

Note that 4K (4096 x 2160) isn't even real yet for PC, it's actually UltraHD (consumer format is 3840 X 2160). You will notice it's called 4K UltraHD on the monitor box. This is so they can upscale previous games resolutions, etc. There's currently no real 4K games developed yet.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Jul 2 @ 6:19pm
Rumpelcrutchskin Jul 2 @ 7:23pm 
I would still get GTX 780 over 770 for 1080p if I wanted something that would last me comfortably until Pascal cards. Problem with GTX 770 is VRAM. Latest games are going over 2 Gb VRAM use and if you want to use Skyrim with graphics mods you also need more then 2 Gb.
And the 4 Gb version of GTX 770 is really half-a$$ed design compared to GTX 780, not to mention more expensive and getting closer to GTX 780 price.
Also in most demanding games maxed out like Crysis 3, Metro LL etc. the fps will drop to 30, sometimes even less with GTX 770. If you want solid 60 fps in all games or more for 144 Hz monitors then GTX 780 is way better then 770.
And the guy who runs everything maxed out on 1440p with single GTX 780 then guess it's possible when you dont run nothing really modern and only stuff from few years ago and settle for lousy fps.
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 2 @ 9:48am