GTX 660
good morning everyone,

So i was looking to upgrade my GPU from the Radeon R5 230 and i bough the GTX 660. for some reason i do not notice any difference at all and all my games are playing really slow. from what i read this graphics card is supposed to run most games at high detail. i was thinking about taking the graphics card back to Best Buy and paying the difference to get the GTX 760. would that be a good move? as of right now my computer specs are:

GPU: GeForce GTX 660
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3340 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Memory: 8.00 GB
Last edited by Tophat Stupify; Aug 3, 2014 @ 8:08pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Daws82_ Jul 28, 2014 @ 7:12am 
hey,your cpu is ok....i guess,personally i would save a little more for the gtx 770,the gtx 750ti is more like the gtx 660,so depends on budget really.You will need to upgrade the 750 the same time as a 760 so you may be spending more than you should.....so buy the 770 lol
Last edited by Daws82_; Jul 28, 2014 @ 7:12am
Tophat Stupify Jul 28, 2014 @ 7:14am 
Originally posted by HIEAT:
hey,your cpu is ok....i guess,personally i would save a little more for the gtx 770,the gtx 750ti is more like the gtx 660,so depends on budget really.You will need to upgrade the 750 the same time as a 760 so you may be spending more than you should.....so buy the 770 lol
alright will do
Daws82_ Jul 28, 2014 @ 7:16am 
I have the EVGA 750Ti SC and it is a little beast in my itx build [look at my profile] but i will be upgrading to the 770 or 870 when it is released.
Tophat Stupify Jul 28, 2014 @ 7:19am 
Originally posted by HIEAT:
I have the EVGA 750Ti SC and it is a little beast in my itx build [look at my profile] but i will be upgrading to the 770 or 870 when it is released.
I was looking at the EVGA 780 but i would have to swap cases because thats too big for the one i have now. i already have a case but im not confident enough to make the swap
gleofrocga Jul 28, 2014 @ 10:25am 
The 750ti is 35-45% slower than the 660, and roughly the same price.
Rumpelcrutchskin Jul 28, 2014 @ 2:05pm 
GTX 660 should have much better performance, something is wrong here. What power supply do you have and did you connect the required 6-pin PCI-E power cable to the graphics card?
Tophat Stupify Aug 3, 2014 @ 7:47pm 
Originally posted by Rumpelcrutchskin:
GTX 660 should have much better performance, something is wrong here. What power supply do you have and did you connect the required 6-pin PCI-E power cable to the graphics card?
i have the corsair 600 watt PSU. and yes i have the 6 pin connected. something is wrong with my computer and i took it to the geek squad at best buy
Ranko Aug 3, 2014 @ 7:58pm 
This is going to sound really really dumb to ask but... did you update your drivers for it?
Tophat Stupify Aug 3, 2014 @ 8:00pm 
Originally posted by Malik Blishtar:
This is going to sound really really dumb to ask but... did you update your drivers for it?
yes i did. something is messed up with it, even geek squad cant figure out whats wrong with it. but yes i did update the drivers
Ranko Aug 3, 2014 @ 8:04pm 
Originally posted by Tophat Stupify:
yes i did. something is messed up with it, even geek squad cant figure out whats wrong with it. but yes i did update the drivers
and did you remove the old ones from your old GPU? if not that, then I have no idea what's going on with it.
Tophat Stupify Aug 3, 2014 @ 8:08pm 
and did you remove the old ones from your old GPU? if not that, then I have no idea what's going on with it.
yes i removed all the other drivers. there looking at it now. im going to have to pay $200 for tech support for a year but oh well i guess. however... if its just due to a faulty graphics card im going to be highly pissed off because i told them that's what i thought it was. so im going to be mad if i have to pay $200 for something i couldve done myself. (and i just bought the graphics card not even a week ago so i could get a brand new one for free)
Ranko Aug 3, 2014 @ 8:09pm 
yes i removed all the other drivers. there looking at it now. im going to have to pay $200 for tech support for a year but oh well i guess. however... if its just due to a faulty graphics card im going to be highly pissed off because i told them that's what i thought it was. so im going to be mad if i have to pay $200 for something i couldve done myself. (and i just bought the graphics card not even a week ago so i could get a brand new one for free)
damn that sucks, and knowing most tech support problems like this, it's probably something stupid we all overlooked that'll take them like 10 minutes to fix. Well good luck man, hope it gets fixed.
Tophat Stupify Aug 3, 2014 @ 8:11pm 
damn that sucks, and knowing most tech support problems like this, it's probably something stupid we all overlooked that'll take them like 10 minutes to fix. Well good luck man, hope it gets fixed.
thanks man i hope it does too! and yeah i figured it would be a easy fix too thats why i took it to them. figured if i had to drive 30 minutes to get a new GFX card i might as well just bring them the computer to get it looked first so i didnt have to make another trip. but anyways.
Klikard Aug 8, 2014 @ 12:43am 
a gtx 660 should do around 50-80 FPS on bf3.... gtx 660 SLI (x2) is around 130-160 fps *both max graphics 1680x1050* check if your vsync is enabled ingame... if you get less fps than your screen refresh rate it would make the image look messed up frameratevise... its no point using vsync ingame anyways whit gtx 660 as it has adaptive vsync if enabled in NVcontroll pannel! have you perhaps playing minecraft or rust? if so you shouldent realy have a problem... as its the game engines fault... on rust it is probably cause its to many object spawned.... can be GPU as of lots of polygons! (polygon = 1 flat surface a box has 6 polys as its 6 flats) *AAA titles optimise their objects in many ways for better performance* a ♥♥♥♥ looking game might still lag your comp if not optimesed.... *more objects = more polygons = more load = regardless off game graphics* sorry for talking jiberish hope this might help somehow... as i have gtx 660 and expect it to work great on most games...
if you still have problems you should list the games you have problems whit...:)
i think whit my self your playing poor optimized games...

Polycount for modern games *character's*

Left 4 Dead 2 (2009)
Nick - 17,761

Battlefield 3 (2011)
Kiril - 15,818
Vladimir Kamarivsky - 15,819

The Amazing Spiderman (2012)
Spiderman - 11,652

Assassin's Creed 3 (2012)
Benjamin Franklin - 17,744
Charles Lee - 25,994
Connor Kenway - 28,501