ArmoredxApple Jul 27 @ 7:20am
Blu Ray Drives
I am probably going to be getting an external Blu Ray drive for my PC soon so I can watch my movies on it. I am wondering, will the Blu Ray player be able to read and play PC games? I know PC games aren't made in Blu Ray, but I am wondering if it will still be able to play them.
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
UberFiend (Banned) Jul 27 @ 7:22am 
yes
ArmoredxApple Jul 27 @ 7:25am 
Straight to the point answer :) Thanks
^_^ Kitteh ^_^ Jul 27 @ 9:34am 
Originally posted by Bad-Motha:
Yes PC/Mac SATA Drives that are Bluray are backward compatible for:

Read CD / DVD
and also Write CD / DVD

Even if the Bluray is only a BD-Reader; it can still burn those other two types.

However u will usually need a good paid software in order to decode/watch your Bluray movies.

Actually, I bought an internal BD-Drive a couple of years back, and it can't burn anything. Read only. Reads DVDs and CD's just fine though.

So, as the previous posts state. You should have everything covered with a blu-ray drive.
ArmoredxApple Jul 27 @ 10:51am 
Yah, all I want is a Drive to watch Blu Ray/ DVD movies and maybe play some PC games if I want to get one on disc and not through Steam. I'm not going to do any burning, just read movies and games.
rotNdude Jul 27 @ 11:57am 
No, just because it has a separate laser for the CD/DVD operation of the drive doesn't mean all BD drives can write CD/DVDs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106276
rotNdude Jul 27 @ 12:46pm 
Why u pointing to a Read only CD/DVD drive?

As for Bluray being writers for CD/DVD by default, that holds true. Look at any Bluray Drive for PC/Mac. What sense would it make to pay that much money for a Bluray drive to have the older CD/DVD be read only. Since the Writer capability of CD/DVD is really cheap these days; they basically throw that ability into all PC/Mac Bluray drives, wether the Bluray part of the features is read or write doesn't effect CD/DVD.

Now of course the standalone ones for your TV are not writers. But we're not talking about those.

You specifically told the previous poster that he was incorrect because a BD player has two lasers and then the drive is a writer by default for CD/DVD disks. That is incorrect. Just because it makes sense based on economics to make all drives CD/DVD drives writeable, doesn't mean they all have to be.
Last edited by rotNdude; Jul 27 @ 12:46pm
Powl Jul 27 @ 1:00pm 
Either way I can always recommend the Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD. Appears to be a rather popular external BD drive, and it's a BD-RE DL recorder to put it like it's described on the wikipedia page Motha linked, meaning it can read and write to all CD/DVD/BD formats (except for pressed discs, you cant write to them anyway).

Also it's actually still one of the cheaper ones out there. I personally own one, too, for watching my Bluray collection on my PC. The drive came with some OEM PowerDVD which isn't great but it works and played all my BD movies so far (ranging from 2014 releases back to some 2007 releases I think).

You might say it's only USB2.0 and there's drives with USB3.0, however I havent noticed that being a problem so far.

@rotNdude, Motha is right though. When I looked around for a BD drive a year ago, I couldnt see a single (back then) recent drive that was not able to write CD/DVD. Not even among OEM internal BD drives.
Last edited by Powl; Jul 27 @ 1:04pm
rotNdude Jul 27 @ 1:02pm 
What more facts do u want???

Go look at all the Bluray drives; yea ok some guy bought a drive years ago; those aren't on the market that way anymore. We're in the here and now!

Your facts aren't facts and you know it. Just because a BD drive has a separate laser doesn't make all BD drives CD/DVD drives writeable. That's a fact. It has to be designed to be a CD/DVD writeable.
rotNdude Jul 27 @ 1:37pm 
Then just delete my posts in this thread if my info is misleading; i'm not going to argue or say anymore here. Pointless.

To the OP: I apologize if I waste your time.

You delete them since you posted them.
Miss Amanda Jones Jul 27 @ 2:14pm 
Just curious, is there any software I can buy that will allow Windows Media Center to play Blu-Ray's?
Powl Jul 27 @ 3:15pm 
Originally posted by Amanda Jones:
Just curious, is there any software I can buy that will allow Windows Media Center to play Blu-Ray's?
Not that I know of. At least I never found anything like that even though I owned 2 laptops with BD drives and currently own an external BD drive for my new setup.

However a lot of BD drives come with OEM software like PowerDVD (10?) for BD playback.
Last edited by Powl; Jul 27 @ 3:30pm
Miss Amanda Jones Jul 27 @ 3:19pm 
Originally posted by Powl:
Originally posted by Amanda Jones:
Not that I know of. At least I never found anything like that even though I owned 2 laptops with BD drives and currently own an external BD drive for my new setup.

However a lot of BD drives come with OEM software like PowerDVD (8?) for BD playback.

I have done my research... I know of PowerDVD and other such software. While that would allow me to play Blu-Ray, I would love to find something that would allow WMC to play Blu-Ray's. I will keep looking. Thank you for the reply.
Bad-Motha Jul 27 @ 3:23pm 
MS does not allow WMC/WMP to play Bluray, only DVD.
And if u have Win8, u have to pay $10 extra for WMC if u want that.

But if u have software like PowerDVD, WinDVD; u won't need anything extra from MS.

PowerDVD (the cheap one) don't support Bluray.
You have to get something like PowerDVD Ultra, or Nero Platinum. Nero is worth it cause it has not just playback, but all the Burning and Backup tools too.
Last edited by Bad-Motha; Jul 27 @ 3:26pm
Powl Jul 27 @ 3:36pm 
You have to get something like PowerDVD Ultra, or Nero Platinum. Nero is worth it cause it has not just playback, but all the Burning and Backup tools too.
Well the OEM PowerDVD versions that come with many BD drives do support Bluray and they're not Ultra I think...however it's basically limited to that and they're also marked as OEM in their code, preventing you from getting any software upgrades.

But I agree, Nero is probably better choice. I've had some bad experience with PowerDVD, namely awful support, awfully slow download speeds (seriously, 200mb update at 10kb/s?) and also the bad habit to "patch" a startup check into older PowerDVD versions (i.e. anything older than the newest two revisions) so that they get random errors whenever a BD is to be played. Like seriously, in PowerDVD 10 they patched in a hidden check key that would generate an unspecified error so Blurays wouldnt play. Then if you blocked the software in Windows Firewall and deleted that hidden file, it would work just fine again. After a ♥♥♥♥♥torm rained down on their support and forums, a small patch magically solved the issue again. So since then PowerDVD 10 works fine again, yet still you can never know when they'll try to pull crap like that again.
Last edited by Powl; Jul 27 @ 3:39pm
Miss Amanda Jones Jul 27 @ 3:53pm 
MS does not allow WMC/WMP to play Bluray, only DVD.
And if u have Win8, u have to pay $10 extra for WMC if u want that.

But if u have software like PowerDVD, WinDVD; u won't need anything extra from MS.

I do own Windows 8.1 Pro, and I have paid the $10.00 for WMC. I know I can play DVD's, and I know that WMC does not support Blu-Ray's. The reason I am so interested in getting WMC to play Blu-Ray's is because I own a remote control for my computer. It works really well with WMC, but it does not work at all on third party software like VLC.

Does Nero allow WMC to play Blu-Rays? That is really all I want out of life right now. :P
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 27 @ 7:20am