I need some help with my decision for getting Windows 8.1.
Hello everyone, I'm planning on buying a new gaming laptop, and it has Windows 8.1 preloaded onto it. I've read many clashing reviews about Windows 8.1 and its Pros and Cons for gaming, and I would like to hear a definite (Or as close as possible) answer to whether I can play games that were made/optimized for Windows 7/XP/Vista on a Laptop with Windows 8.1 running. Here are the types of games that I play if that helps: Guacamelee, Transformers:War for Cybertron/Fall of Cybtertron, Terraria, MineCraft (I know it isn't a Steam game, but I thought I'd put it up there), UT2004, and games like those. Also, if it helps to know the type of computer I'm looking into, I'll post a link to the site I'm buying it from: http://www.frys.com/product/8013854
And the original site: http://dragonarmy.msi.com/home/weapons/GE70-2PE-Apache-Pro
Last edited by SILVΞRDΛRK; Aug 1, 2014 @ 8:21pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
Air Aug 1, 2014 @ 8:51pm 
The only actual problem is the start menu currently, which is a very minor issue. Everything else, performance, desktop, ect. works perfectly fine, just as well as(and, in a few areas better than) Windows 7.

Personally, aside from some instability near Windows 8's launch, I've experienced almost inexistent trouble using it, especially with gaming. I've been gaming on Windows 8.1 just fine with only not being able to play one single game, which is a game notorious for having issues, anyway.
Bad 💀 Motha Aug 1, 2014 @ 9:58pm 
8.1 is way to go. Runs great, very stable, lighter install size, uses a tone less RAM and also manages it very well.

Start Menu is not a problem with this > http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php
SILVΞRDΛRK Aug 2, 2014 @ 6:45am 
Thank you so much, those were the best answers I've heard from anyone! :D
Old Skool Raver Aug 2, 2014 @ 10:00am 
To answer your other question re compatibility, it it runs on Windows Vista/7 then it will work with 8 & 8.1 perfectly. As for XP games, well the large majority will work fine, there might be a tiny few which won't work but if they don't work on 8/8.1 then they won't work on 7 either so you wouldn't be able to play them anyway.
Azza ☠ Aug 2, 2014 @ 10:45am 
Does you laptop have touch screen and work like a mobile phone or smaller device? - Get Win 8.1, it's awesome and free. Win 8 is a cut down on Win 7 for cross compatiblility of touch screen devices, mobile phones, xbone consoles, etc. You get a built-in microtransaction store to continue paying for what you might need. You get a Metro screen which no one ever uses. You have to pay or hack in Desktop features. They have completely missed real PC gamers. Major tweaking and purchased or third party mods are required just to get it to a Win 7 level of quality - then and only then do you achieve slightly better results - faster boot time which a SSD could of done anyways.

Win 9 will be out soon (April-Dec 2015), which is said Microsoft will dump Win 8.2 in favor of it.

Win 9 will most likely be even smaller - a cheap or free upgrade for those failed Win 8.1 users. There's are many legal ways to get a free copy of Win 8 directly from Microsoft themselves... they are throwing them away.

Making Win 8 offically the shortest lived OS from Microsoft, even making less sales than Vista... even though most of those where just given away. Win 9 will be a recreation of it, fixed up Win 8, with Desktop mode reintroduced (detecting what type of device it's on and asking you what mode you desire) and most of their major failures from the previous OS addressed. Or so it has been mentioned (but not in those words) - by Microsoft Staff members.

So don't believe me and consider it all just bias - even though Microsoft themselves gave me free copies of the OS multiple times, I have yet to find a real purpose for it on Desktops. Touch-screen device perhaps. For a laptop it probably won't be as bad, but still.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Aug 2, 2014 @ 10:54am
SILVΞRDΛRK Aug 2, 2014 @ 11:28am 
You can get the desktop to resemble the one from Windows 7 (except without the start button) in Windows 8.1 though, can't you? And would Windows 9 be free for Windows 8 users AND Windows 7 users, or just for Windows 8?
Azza ☠ Aug 2, 2014 @ 12:08pm 
Microsoft has been considering Win 9 free or cheap for both Win 7, 8, and 8.1 users. It's not 100% confirmed what there plans are, but they will be looking to force up the previous OS. Most likely have DirectX 12 (low level Mantle like graphic calls) natively supported on Win 9, while only basic support for Win 7 and 8. As well as holding off with some additional features they where originally planning for Win 8.2.

Yes, it's possible to customise Win 8.1 to work just like Win 7 - you can even purchase that start button and file manager from the Microsoft store (or third party) to re-include what's missing. That is why there's so many mixed reviews about it. Straight out of the box is hated, specially for PC users, but some learn to stick with it and tweak it into a lot more. I can respect and understand that, as I've done that myself with Win 7. In the end it comes down to your own personal experience and effort of if you consider it worth it.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Aug 2, 2014 @ 12:13pm
SILVΞRDΛRK Aug 2, 2014 @ 12:14pm 
Ok, I don't think that I'll have a problem with the start button seeing as Bad-Motha posted a link to a free Start menu application, so for the time being, I think I'll stick with getting Windows 8.1.
HLCinSC Aug 2, 2014 @ 12:46pm 
Windows 8.1=Windows 7+ + Performance/speed improvements+ faster boot/shutdown+ lighter footprint in terms of size and ram useQuicker/longer support+ better mobile/touch optimizations+ OPTIONAL touch friendly modern/metro interface.
Azza ☠ Aug 2, 2014 @ 1:27pm 
Originally posted by HLCinSC:
Windows 8.1=Windows 7+ + Performance/speed improvements+ faster boot/shutdown+ lighter footprint in terms of size and ram useQuicker/longer support+ better mobile/touch optimizations+ OPTIONAL touch friendly modern/metro interface.

That's like saying Vista is better than XP... when in fact everyone knows Microsoft as well as Nvidia, and all other major companies use what is known as Tick/Tock development.

You are talking about 3 FPS faster, a little more ram free, and a few seconds shaved off the booting time, just because it's a lighter OS with less services running. More performance could be gained elsewhere.

Vista was actutally just a beta testing mark for Win 7 - which was actually in development before it was even created. They took the feedback and learnt from Vista - then injected the good stuff into Win 7, while attempting to remove or fix up the negatives.

Same deal goes for Win 8 to Win 9. It's a required stepping stone in order to improve - sure it might have some good and bad aspects. However, there's no point going from Win 7 to Win 8, etc - you won't gain anything, you can arrive to better results by removing some bulk services out of Win 7. Win 9 will replace it all anyways. If your however looking for a brand new system, then by all means go Win 8, you won't lose out anything of Win 7 which you can't re-introduce by tweaks/mods/hacks.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Aug 2, 2014 @ 1:31pm
HardwareAddict Aug 2, 2014 @ 1:31pm 
If you will be using this rig for mainly gaming then there is no reason not to go to 8.1
Seriously.
Originally posted by Azza ☠:
Does you laptop have touch screen and work like a mobile phone or smaller device? - Get Win 8.1, it's awesome and free. Win 8 is a cut down on Win 7 for cross compatiblility of touch screen devices, mobile phones, xbone consoles, etc. You get a built-in microtransaction store to continue paying for what you might need. You get a Metro screen which no one ever uses. You have to pay or hack in Desktop features. They have completely missed real PC gamers. Major tweaking and purchased or third party mods are required just to get it to a Win 7 level of quality - then and only then do you achieve slightly better results - faster boot time which a SSD could of done anyways.

Win 9 will be out soon (April-Dec 2015), which is said Microsoft will dump Win 8.2 in favor of it.

Win 9 will most likely be even smaller - a cheap or free upgrade for those failed Win 8.1 users. There's are many legal ways to get a free copy of Win 8 directly from Microsoft themselves... they are throwing them away.

Making Win 8 offically the shortest lived OS from Microsoft, even making less sales than Vista... even though most of those where just given away. Win 9 will be a recreation of it, fixed up Win 8, with Desktop mode reintroduced (detecting what type of device it's on and asking you what mode you desire) and most of their major failures from the previous OS addressed. Or so it has been mentioned (but not in those words) - by Microsoft Staff members.

So don't believe me and consider it all just bias - even though Microsoft themselves gave me free copies of the OS multiple times, I have yet to find a real purpose for it on Desktops. Touch-screen device perhaps. For a laptop it probably won't be as bad, but still.
Not true. People seem to think that just because a UI sucks that the entire OS is bad. Win 8 is better preformance wise than 7
HLCinSC Aug 2, 2014 @ 1:33pm 
Originally posted by Azza ☠:
If your however looking for a brand new system, then by all means go Win 8, you won't lose out anything of Win 7 which you can re-introduce by tweaks/mods/hacks.
OK so Windows 8.1 = Windows 7+ + Performance/speed improvements+ faster boot/shutdown+ lighter footprint in terms of size and ram useQuicker/longer support+ better mobile/touch optimizations+ OPTIONAL touch friendly modern/metro interface - some small things of " Win 7 which you can re-introduce by tweaks/mods/hacks."
Azza ☠ Aug 2, 2014 @ 2:37pm 
Rolls eyes...

Startup and shutdown times - Windows 8 saves the system state and memory contents to a file on disk, and simply reloads it on reboot, rather than initiating everything all over again. Hibernation and/or Solid State Drives can out perform this, bring the times down to 5-10 seconds... in which Win 7 vs Win 8 has no difference. Removing some Win 7 services which aren't required can even give you the same or better results too.

Large files move - Window 8 transfers files is actually slightly slower vs Win 7 due to the fact it does a malware scan during each transfer for so-called improved security. Something any quality third party virus scanner could protect you from anyways.

Video Rendering - Win 8 is improved by 0.1%. For any high quality gaming graphic card you won't notice a difference. We are talking about a few FPS increase over what should already be 40FPS+.

Web Browsing - Win 8 has improved with a bit more hardware acceleration. Just avoid Win 8 with BING, as that's a freebee version but infected with Microsoft's own spyware, noone ever wants or uses, even including the Microsoft Staff forced to use it.

DirectX - Win 8 has 11.2 which currently no graphic card fully supports or cares about, as it will be replaced by DirectX 12 which is the major upgrade for Nvidia graphic card users - giving them the AMD mantle-like boost on top of what performance they already have hardware based. Battlefield 4 and some other games where actually paid off by Microsoft to be optimised for Win 8... however driver updates in Win 7 can actually achieve the same results. Both Win 7 and 8 won't be native support for DirectX 12, but rather just partly supporting it.

Built-in Store - Congrats you can now paid Microsoft more in microtransactions.

Metro UI - Disable that rubbish or ignore in most cases.

Security - Actually I reported to Microsoft various exploits in Win 8, which they ignored for ages. However they have started paying off hackers (over $108,000 so far) to point out security holes and are addressing them in Win 8 more. Therefore Win 8 security will surpass that of Win 7 over time. There's still some holes in using other products along side it such as Microsoft Office 365 with Win 8, in which anyone can spoof as yourself gaining access to your online files and documents, but they should also be addressing that soon (was reported a year ago however). Their cloud network is a joke and hackers paradise - where you lose all your rights to your own content. I suggest avoiding their cloud for the moment. I also dislike their desktop cloud online for various reasons.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Aug 2, 2014 @ 2:50pm
Bad 💀 Motha Aug 3, 2014 @ 4:33am 
I took an old (2011) Laptop that has Intel i5 (2nd Gen Sandy Bridge, 2 Core, 4 Thread) 8GB DDR3-1333 (2x4GB) and I changed out the 5400rpm HDD for a Crucial M4 SSD in it. Not the best SSD but consider the age of the laptop and having only SATA gen2, I figured it just made more sense. Anyways the laptop has always had Win7 x64 (came with that) and I wanted to sell to a friend who wanted Windows8. So he bought 8.1 x64 Pro and I put that on for him and set it all up. It didn't seem super-fast at first, however installing from USB flash drive, it installed in less than 10 mins.

Windows Updates were then done in about 20-30 mins. (all of them!)

I then put the latest drivers and software on that was needed to get started. Once the drivers were loaded in, the system was super fast. This also because of how Win8 works, plus having an SSD. Boot times from power button to desktop with WiFi established and ready to use; less then 10 secs.
Last edited by Bad 💀 Motha; Aug 3, 2014 @ 4:34am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 30 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Aug 1, 2014 @ 8:13pm