Tacticus Jul 31 @ 8:19am
Windows 8 Laptop wifi loses connection
Hello, recently I have been having a problem where after a certain amount of time my Wifi loses connection to the internet on my Laptop. It is not the Wifi as I connect fine with it on my smartphone and Ipad. I have disabled it to where my laptop can disable it to save power. I have the latest version of Windows 8 and the latest version of my wireless adapter. Any help? Thanks.
Last edited by Tacticus; Jul 31 @ 8:19am
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Ericrct Jul 31 @ 8:23am 
Hmm. Could it be a hardware problem? You might wanna get that checked out. Also do you have old security on your router (like WEP) because Windows 8 is less friendly with older wireless security versions.
Tacticus Jul 31 @ 8:47am 
Originally posted by Ericrct:
Hmm. Could it be a hardware problem? You might wanna get that checked out. Also do you have old security on your router (like WEP) because Windows 8 is less friendly with older wireless security versions.
I have WPA2. And it's not hardware problems, I got the full laptop checked out 2 weeks ago and nothing was wrong, but I did upgrade the hard drive to an SSD.
_I_ Jul 31 @ 9:08am 
double check the antenna connectors on the wifi nic
when you replaced the hdd/ssd they may have come lose
Tacticus Jul 31 @ 9:09am 
Originally posted by _I_:
double check the antenna connectors on the wifi nic
when you replaced the hdd/ssd they may have come lose
No, I got the hard drive updated 2 weeks ago when I got my laptop checked. The connection loss started happening last night.
_I_ Jul 31 @ 9:12am 
most notebooks have a wifi card that can be changed

make sure the antennas are connected properly
http://files.laptopvideo2go.com/webpictures/wlan/RIMG0314.JPG
Bad-Motha Jul 31 @ 10:09am 
Win8 won't even allow the use of WEP. They got rid of that.
If you had WEP as the WiFi security option; u notice issues in even connection within any Win8 system.
chiefputsa Jul 31 @ 10:13am 
check your power profile...possibility of the laptop turning off some components to conserve power.
Bad-Motha Jul 31 @ 10:22am 
If seems to have connection and then there is loss; reconnect
etc. etc.

Try a different wireless channel.
Network > Change Adapter Settings > Properties > Configure > Advanced
Ericrct Jul 31 @ 12:14pm 
Originally posted by Bad-Motha:
Win8 won't even allow the use of WEP. They got rid of that.
If you had WEP as the WiFi security option; u notice issues in even connection within any Win8 system.
It does. You have to have your WEP set up to use username and password though or go through a bunch of hoops to do it. So yeah it is glitchy/hard but it is still possible
IT'S ME Aug 3 @ 8:25am 
I have a alienware 17 and my computer doesnt even have an atnenna.
Rubuck blocky hooves Aug 3 @ 9:17am 
Originally posted by Pootis Man:

Because its a wireless card that is connected to the inside of the laptop.

Originally posted by Tacticus:
Hello, recently I have been having a problem where after a certain amount of time my Wifi loses connection to the internet on my Laptop. It is not the Wifi as I connect fine with it on my smartphone and Ipad. I have disabled it to where my laptop can disable it to save power. I have the latest version of Windows 8 and the latest version of my wireless adapter. Any help? Thanks.

Don't bother disabling anything to save power. It is pointless.

What is your wireless adaptor? What does it say in Device Manager? And does Device manager show an "!" when it loses connection?
Last edited by Rubuck blocky hooves; Aug 3 @ 9:17am
Bad-Motha Aug 3 @ 5:39pm 
Originally posted by Pootis Man:

If the laptop has WiFi card inside, it has an antenna. The antenna routes from the bottom where the WiFi card is, up through to your display and around the display's outer shell. Trust me, it's there.
twitch.tv/boomytwitch Aug 3 @ 5:51pm 
I'm having this same problem while playing csgo, I can play fine for anywhere between 15-30 mins then all of a sudden I lose connection. I'm also on 8.1, and I can't find the problem for the life of me. I've taken the bottom cover off my laptop to clean it about a month ago, so I think I'll take the cover back off to check the 2 antennas that connect to my wireless card.
twitch.tv/boomytwitch Aug 3 @ 7:53pm 
I think my problem had something to do ingame overlay, once I disabled that my problems went away.
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 31 @ 8:19am