This topic has been locked
[Suggestion] Add Non-Steam Software?
Well, since Steam is selling software in its store, I was wondering what about software we aleady downloaded? Say things like GIMP, Photoshop, Blender, and Sony Vegas; things we didn't buy in the Steam store, and what if we want to add it into Steam and have it in the Software section?

Of course, this is my thought of Steam being the hub to all your needs, but if there's any opinions on whether this is needed or not needed, just fire away.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 53 comments
SeriousSpy Oct 3, 2012 @ 9:45pm 
I think it is needed, I like the idea of Steam being my central hub.
ulia Oct 4, 2012 @ 12:10am 
I recall this already working, no? I've done it before, at least.
raiseer Oct 4, 2012 @ 5:40am 
Iirc, you can add any program via the "add non-steam game" (or something like that) in the lower left of your steam client interface. I could be wrong, but I think this should work. In the end, I don't think that Steam "knows" which application is a game or not.
SeriousSpy Oct 4, 2012 @ 12:44pm 
We know you can do that, we want to be able to select it as Software though, so we don't have a program like Photoshop or something in our Games Library.
Vaemer-Riit Oct 5, 2012 @ 1:19pm 
Originally posted by raiseer:
Iirc, you can add any program via the "add non-steam game" (or something like that) in the lower left of your steam client interface. I could be wrong, but I think this should work. In the end, I don't think that Steam "knows" which application is a game or not.

I think what he is asking for is ability to specify that the program is an Application and not a Game when adding non steam shortcuts (That way it appears in All software instead of All Games)
torron2 Oct 9, 2012 @ 9:54am 
Originally posted by Vaemer-Riit:
Originally posted by raiseer:

I think what he is asking for is ability to specify that the program is an Application and not a Game when adding non steam shortcuts (That way it appears in All software instead of All Games)

Agreed
Sjru 🐲 Oct 9, 2012 @ 11:40am 
I second this

Make it happen!! I don't want my friends saying "Hey you're playing on photoshop"
al Qamar Oct 9, 2012 @ 5:36pm 
+ 1

moreover it would be cool to access all stuff in future via big picture and a touchscreen. would come close to a windows 8 new ui feeling :)
Last edited by al Qamar; Oct 9, 2012 @ 5:36pm
Wayward Oct 11, 2012 @ 5:06am 
+1
Supporting this idea as well!
my dude Oct 11, 2012 @ 2:25pm 
You already can. Go to: Games > Add a non-Steam game to my library and instead of selecting a game, just choose a program instead.
Absolute Zero Oct 11, 2012 @ 2:32pm 
Originally posted by Urdnot Shepard:
You already can. Go to: Games > Add a non-Steam game to my library and instead of selecting a game, just choose a program instead.
It would still show in the "All Games" section though. What I was asking for is non-Steam programs to be recognized and put in the "All Software" section.
Sjru 🐲 Oct 11, 2012 @ 2:33pm 
Originally posted by Urdnot Shepard:

We are talking that programs are labeled as "Games", thus when you use them people see "In a non steam game" stuff, also the program is inside games library.

We want a separate non steam software bar, and the ability to say that you're not in a game but in a program.
Chriserino Oct 11, 2012 @ 2:42pm 
while i understand what is being asked for, i don't think there are enough people that want to add 'non steam' programs. I used to want to do this with Cubase so people could see what i was doing, but i ended up just setting cmd prompt with label "cubase" so i didn't have constant pop ups of people joining games or from people chatting with me (it can be distracting when you're trying to record a guitar part and you keep seeing chat msgs pop up in the corner of the screen).

My 2 cents from using steam with software (including photoshop and premiere and after touch). I find it comical they are doing 'software' now too on steam. It's a gaming distro platform, why bring work into it?

and yes i clearly know you are asking for the option to separate software from games in the library...
Last edited by Chriserino; Oct 11, 2012 @ 2:43pm
Absolute Zero Oct 11, 2012 @ 2:48pm 
Well, that's understandable, Ninjax. I only wanted to ask for opinions on this kind of thing. Thank you for putting your time and effort into what you think.
Chriserino Oct 11, 2012 @ 2:58pm 
It's a good idea though! Since steam is a distrobution entity FIRST it would make sense for what you are asking. As you can see, i personally don't care for it (it is distracting sometimes), but I think customization has always been a big seller so why not have this option too?

maybe i should have said this with last post :P Articulating my thoughts is not my strong suit :P
< >
Showing 1-15 of 53 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 3, 2012 @ 9:41pm