FPS counter in steam overlay
There has been a lot of discussions on this topic, all ended with "fraps?". But let's try it again. By fps counter I really mean _only_ displaying fps of game (no recording). It should be optionaly activatable in Steam setting and/or directly from overlay.

Reasons:
- Since steam already injected game's rendering pipeline the fps information is already there, it just needs to be displayed
- not all games has option to display fps and it's just stupid to remember/google commands to enable it for each game engine (please do NOT replay with "cl_showfps 1" or "/cg_drawfps 1" ...)
- why should I install third party tool (fraps) for such a simple task as displaying fps
- You can NOT use fraps on linux and since SteamOS is linux based there is no fraps for SteamOS
- valve want us to test their SteamOS (with this awesome/crazy in-home streaming feature), how the hell should I test performance?

your pros and cons are welcome
< >
Näytetään 1-15 / 16 kommentista
This would be a nice addition giving you a better visual on what to set your graphic setting on instead of just looking at the game and judging how smoothly it will run.
Most Valve games have a command you can enable. Netgraph_1

But a general one could be cool.
umlungu: yep that's the reason #2

Kramos: that's exactly what the fps counters are for. Lot of games has some kind of benchmarking tool that allows you to test you settings, but not all of them. And they don't test YOUR gameplay. Another reason to use fps counters is "Why do I have fps lower than usual? I should kill some cpu hungry background process!"
GIAH 25.9.2013 klo 17.05 
A great idea, would like to see it!
Lexus 26.2.2014 klo 13.09 
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought it better to do it this way and support someone else's thread than create a new one for myself.

I would really like an FPS counter that I can permanantly activate/deactivate through Steam.

Yes, as has been pointed out already, there are console commands in some games, and FRAPS for all the others, but I would really value an FPS counter built into the Steam options.

It would be amazing if you could permanantly activate it when I started up War Thunder but deselect a box in Steam game options to say that I don't want FPS counter when I start playing Football Manager.
Fox 26.2.2014 klo 13.34 
Ficik<CZ> lähetti viestin:
There has been a lot of discussions on this topic, all ended with "fraps?". But let's try it again. By fps counter I really mean _only_ displaying fps of game (no recording). It should be optionaly activatable in Steam setting and/or directly from overlay.

Reasons:
- Since steam already injected game's rendering pipeline the fps information is already there, it just needs to be displayed
- not all games has option to display fps and it's just stupid to remember/google commands to enable it for each game engine (please do NOT replay with "cl_showfps 1" or "/cg_drawfps 1" ...)
- why should I install third party tool (fraps) for such a simple task as displaying fps
- You can NOT use fraps on linux and since SteamOS is linux based there is no fraps for SteamOS
- valve want us to test their SteamOS (with this awesome/crazy in-home streaming feature), how the hell should I test performance?

your pros and cons are welcome
While not many Steam users will use this, this feature may be nice.
I'd however have an option in the settings to choose whether or not to toggle FPS, unchecked by default, in order not to disorient the average player. (if you don't need to see your FPS, why should you have to see it ? At least everyone is happy with the already-implemented clock...)
@Lexus: thx for bumping :)
@Fox: totally agree that it should be off by default
Bumping because I want this to happen.
MD 26.8.2014 klo 8.06 
yes
agreed
As long as it's strictly optional, sure.
Cole 26.8.2014 klo 15.35 
This would be cool.
This needs to be a thing
Please make this a thing.
I agree. This would be nice.
< >
Näytetään 1-15 / 16 kommentista
Sivua kohden: 1530 50

Lähetetty: 25.9.2013 klo 15.27