HighPlains Drifter Sep 12, 2013 @ 8:20pm
Release Dates
Please put the actual year and date a game was released on the market, and not use the date it was put on steam.

For example, i was recently (and this isn't the only time) i was looking at the Avernum games. I noticed Steam has them listed as releasing in 2011, but they didn't. I've run into this in alot of steam games.

Thanks
Last edited by HighPlains Drifter; Sep 12, 2013 @ 8:23pm
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
< >
L-r | Canti Sep 12, 2013 @ 11:43pm 
I believe it's up to the publisher, since some games do display the correct date (Longest Journey is listed as released in 2000). It may also be down to the game being updated for Steam and therefore a re-release.
Mike Hunt Oct 30, 2013 @ 4:22pm 
I totally agree with HighPlains Drifter. Either put two dates: the actual release date and the steam release date or only put the actual release date.
This is mostly relevant to titles that were released initially outside of steam and then later was put on steam.
In my opinion t is misleading to use the steam release date even when the game was adjusted a bit to work with modern OS and/or steam. In most cases no real change was made in the game itself. I can only think this is done deliberately to make old titles seem newer than they are.
If this is not possible for Valve to check or control, at least make it possible for the community to fix the dates when they are flawed. This information would also help Valve to identify which publishers are "fixing" the release date.
Mr Snrub Jan 28 @ 1:43am 
Good job I searched for this before posting - I too find it very annoying that "recent releases" are often games over a decade old.

As an example, Original War has on the Store/Featured page the following text:
"Indie, Strategy - Released: 27 Jan 2014"

But after clicking on the title it reports:
"Release Date: 15 Jun 2001"

Valve have the ability to differentiate between "Released on Steam" and "Original release date".

Also, Early Access and pre-release games need to be very clear that the release date is in the future (perhaps use red text to highlight this) - if (in the case of Early Access) that release date is not yet known or definite, then it should be stated as such too.
Clearly this information comes from the publisher, so if they cannot provide the information then Valve should put "not disclosed".
Astartes Jan 28 @ 3:30pm 
I completely agree.
RiderUp Feb 26 @ 9:56am 
Another vote for @Valve making this adjustment. The Steam release date can be very different than the title's actual published date. There are some titles becoming availalbe recenty on Steam that are more than a decade old and the "release date" is very misleading.
Satoru Feb 26 @ 10:13am 
Store pages are controlled by the developers
Astartes Feb 26 @ 11:09am 
Originally posted by Satoru:
Store pages are controlled by the developers
There should be some sort of regulations. They should not be allowed to post whatever date they feel like.
RiderUp Feb 26 @ 11:15am 
Maybe the team at GoG can help out with maintaining the pages then.
simu Mar 3 @ 11:21am 
I'd like to see this rolled into the "Tags" feature, or something similar but less abuse-y.

Have 4 fields:
1) "Steam Release Date" - only to be able to be filled by the Dev
2) "Original Release Date" - to be filled by the dev if applicable and optionall yavailable to "the public", or some kind of elite group of steam nerds who are into data
3) "General Consensus *Steam* Release Date" - or something named even catchier, free for all, just in case the dev screws up both of the other fields and has not set the second one to be able to be edited by said geeks.
4) "General Consensus Original Release Date" - See "3)" but for.. the.. original release date, if there exists one. Make available as an optional field, only to be enabled by, again, the aforementioned geeks

Uh, and a fifth one, automatically filled: "Last UpDate". Because why not.

C'mon, the first four might need a bit of thought to make sure this will not get abused horribly, but the fourth can not take more than a day + the change approval period ;)

Also, this can only be better than the Tags situation, if only because only valid date entries have to be considered.

EDIT: Had to edit this because I forgot "4)", breaking the whole thing first try ;)
Last edited by simu; Mar 3 @ 11:30am
L-r | Canti Mar 3 @ 12:37pm 
Why would you need users to confirm release dates?

Surely the publishers are perfectly aware of this already?
Meatbug Mar 3 @ 12:44pm 
I might be wrong, but doesn't the shop page provide the actual release date of the game?
FFL2and3rocks Mar 3 @ 12:49pm 
Originally posted by Meatbug:
I might be wrong, but doesn't the shop page provide the actual release date of the game?

Not always. The original Tomb Raider says it was released November 28, 2012.
simu Mar 3 @ 1:08pm 
Originally posted by Canti:
Why would you need users to confirm release dates?

Surely the publishers are perfectly aware of this already?

Because of this:
Originally posted by FFL2and3rocks:
Originally posted by Meatbug:

Not always. The original Tomb Raider says it was released November 28, 2012.

This is not "important" as such, but if we are talkng data, let us have correct data. And if the dev does not care, why not let the community? Especially for old games.
Mr Snrub Mar 7 @ 9:03am 
Return to Mysterious Island store page:
Release Date: 6 Mar 2014
(twice)

Wikipedia page[en.wikipedia.org]:
The game was released in 2004 for Microsoft Windows and updated and released for Mac OS X in 2008.
Satoru Mar 7 @ 9:10am 
Note that publishers control their own store pages. If there's an issue contact them.
Showing 1-15 of 20 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Sep 12, 2013 @ 8:20pm