Sodom Aug 20, 2013 @ 2:08pm
Option to hide Early Access
Hi you guys added a option to hide DLC stuff, now add a option to hide early access please. I don't care for not finished games.

The last few months it feels like every second game in the shop is a early access game with arguable play value.
Showing 1-15 of 790 comments
< >
NOISIΛ Aug 20, 2013 @ 4:38pm 
here here i second the motion
Erebus Aug 20, 2013 @ 4:46pm 
I agree wholeheartedly.
Wilshire Aug 20, 2013 @ 9:54pm 
ye
edesignspl Aug 24, 2013 @ 11:59am 
Absolutely agree. Or move them to their own section. Or call them what they are...BETA's and ALPHA's. Just a cash grab by Valve imho. After almost 9 years I'm starting to hate Steam because of this BS. I don't like having to manually sift through all of the early access, alpha, beta stuff. It's not hard to program in to the interface. Set a flag for all early access games, allow users an option to display games that have such a flag set, done.
Live_2_Win Aug 25, 2013 @ 5:25pm 
Yes please, I am sick of seeing these Paid Pre-Alpha's coming up in my searches. If there was an option to filter out Greenlight too that would be good.
aiusepsi Aug 25, 2013 @ 5:35pm 
You're missing out if you dismiss all Early Access games out of hand. Kerbal Space Program, for instance, is an enormous amount of fun already. You should at least have a go at the demo.
Erebus Aug 25, 2013 @ 5:50pm 
Originally posted by aiusepsi:
You're missing out if you dismiss all Early Access games out of hand. Kerbal Space Program, for instance, is an enormous amount of fun already. You should at least have a go at the demo.
It isn't that they are all bad games, it is that it is misleading throwing them in the same place as finished releases.
Gus the Crocodile Aug 25, 2013 @ 6:10pm 
They're all marked on the store page, so I couldn't say it's any more "misleading" than not having separate store sections for multiplayer and singleplayer, or games that support coop and ones that don't.

But I think it's a good idea to have a simple filter nonetheless. I don't, however, think the need for a filter is specifically about one thing. Rather than having a "hide DLC, a "hide Early Access", a "hide <whatever new thing people don't want to see next>", etc etc; have a quickly accessible "filter options" part (as the inventory does, more or less) that lets people check and uncheck the viewing of any tag in the system. Then you solve this problem and a bunch of others at once.
Erebus Aug 25, 2013 @ 6:41pm 
Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
They're all marked on the store page, so I couldn't say it's any more "misleading" than not having separate store sections for multiplayer and singleplayer, or games that support coop and ones that don't.
Your analogy needs work. A game's level of completion has nothing to do with what type game it is, so you really cannot compare the two.

Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
But I think it's a good idea to have a simple filter nonetheless. I don't, however, think the need for a filter is specifically about one thing. Rather than having a "hide DLC, a "hide Early Access", a "hide <whatever new thing people don't want to see next>", etc etc; have a quickly accessible "filter options" part (as the inventory does, more or less) that lets people check and uncheck the viewing of any tag in the system. Then you solve this problem and a bunch of others at once.
Yeah, the filtering in general particularly on the front page needs work. Lumping everything together in one section (newly released) is a bit of a pain. The store search needs an overhaul as well, there's no way to actively exclude things such as early access when doing a search.
Live_2_Win Aug 25, 2013 @ 7:06pm 
Originally posted by aiusepsi:
You're missing out if you dismiss all Early Access games out of hand. Kerbal Space Program, for instance, is an enormous amount of fun already. You should at least have a go at the demo.

I downloaded KSP outside of Steam, I wasn't aware it was on Steam until recently actually. I think I tried it for 5 minutes and deleted it, its such a buggy mess. It came as a bit of a surprise to me that there was such poor games available on steam, I mean I would be expecting that standard of games if I went to new-grounds or some site like that but Steam for me was always where games of a certain standard were available.
Gus the Crocodile Aug 25, 2013 @ 8:57pm 
Originally posted by Erebus:
Your analogy needs work. A game's level of completion has nothing to do with what type game it is, so you really cannot compare the two.
I can compare whatever I like, thanks. That you think a game being "incomplete" (as if released games are complete these days) is important is your business, I have no obligation to argue based on your personal priorities. So I was pointing out that as importance is subjective, there could be any number of other things that people consider important information that should be on the game's front-page listing rather than in the detailed product page.

To find out about the product, you go to its page. That's why there's a page for it. That you have to do that is arguably inconvenient, sure. But to call it any kind of fraud - to say you've been mislead - is absurd. We can't just migrate all the info off the detailed page into the main listing until everyone's happy.
Erebus Aug 25, 2013 @ 10:08pm 
Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
Originally posted by Erebus:
Your analogy needs work. A game's level of completion has nothing to do with what type game it is, so you really cannot compare the two.
I can compare whatever I like, thanks. That you think a game being "incomplete" (as if released games are complete these days) is important is your business, I have no obligation to argue based on your personal priorities. So I was pointing out that as importance is subjective, there could be any number of other things that people consider important information that should be on the game's front-page listing rather than in the detailed product page.

To find out about the product, you go to its page. That's why there's a page for it. That you have to do that is arguably inconvenient, sure. But to call it any kind of fraud - to say you've been mislead - is absurd. We can't just migrate all the info off the detailed page into the main listing until everyone's happy.
Hey look if you are going to call someone out on something the least you can do is try to minimize the amount of logical fallacies you use. Chill out.
Gus the Crocodile Aug 25, 2013 @ 11:31pm 
Uh, all I did was say I wouldn't call it misleading to not present every single bit of information on a game outside its individual page. You "called me out", and your explanation was bizarre - I think you must have misundersood my argument, because there was no reason I needed A and B ("a game's level of completion" and "what type of game it is") to be related, so pointing out that they aren't...sure, okay, well done. All they had to be was two unrelated bits of information about the game.

So either explain the actual logic behind your complaint next time, or take your own advice about chilling out.
Erebus Aug 25, 2013 @ 11:43pm 


Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
They're all marked on the store page, so I couldn't say it's any more "misleading" than not having separate store sections for multiplayer and singleplayer, or games that support coop and ones that don't.


Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
I can compare whatever I like, thanks. That you think a game being "incomplete" (as if released games are complete these days) is important is your business, I have no obligation to argue based on your personal priorities. So I was pointing out that as importance is subjective, there could be any number of other things that people consider important information that should be on the game's front-page listing rather than in the detailed product page.


Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
Uh, all I did was say I wouldn't call it misleading to not present every single bit of information on a game outside its individual page. You "called me out", and your explanation was bizarre - I think you must have misundersood my argument, because there was no reason I needed A and B ("a game's level of completion" and "what type of game it is") to be related, so pointing out that they aren't...sure, okay, well done. All they had to be was two unrelated bits of information about the game.

So either explain the actual logic behind your complaint next time, or take your own advice about chilling out.

http://i.imgur.com/X5OYtjW.png?1
CanadianBacon Aug 26, 2013 @ 12:12am 
I agree it makes my library look unpleasently big :D
Showing 1-15 of 790 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50