Johnny AwesomeSeed Aug 11, 2013 @ 7:10pm
Seperate Early Access from other games in the store
Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to pay to be an alpha or a beta tester. With the limited free time I have available for playing games, I don't want any of it to be spent submitting bug and glitch reports, or suggesting how a work-in-progress could be improved. I recognize there's an audience for this, and I like the fact that it's opening doors for independent developers.

But could these Early Access titles be set aside in a seperate section in the store? Or have a more obvious "Early Access" flag so I don't have to click on them to see that they're still in development?

A lot of these titles I'll be interested in when they're finished. In fact, I'd be willing to pay more for a game if I knew it went through the testing process within the Steam community. But what I don't want is to browse for interesting new titles in the store, and find that every new title that looks interesting is still in development.
Showing 1-15 of 65 comments
< >
He who can't be Named! Aug 11, 2013 @ 7:17pm 
I think some game devs are getting lazy. when they release an early access game it's like "oh we cant be bothered ironing out the bugs so we'll just make the steam community do this for us." Call me old fasioned but I think a game should be completed when it is sold.
Last edited by He who can't be Named!; Aug 11, 2013 @ 7:18pm
Dagnabbit Aug 11, 2013 @ 8:03pm 
Don't buy early access titles. Problem solved.
slovenian89 Aug 11, 2013 @ 8:22pm 
Just like DLC are marked with a purple DLC ribbon on the top left, and Demos with a green ribbon...Early Access should have a blue ribbon with Early Access on it.
Dagnabbit Aug 11, 2013 @ 8:46pm 
Originally posted by slovenian89:
Just like DLC are marked with a purple DLC ribbon on the top left, and Demos with a green ribbon...Early Access should have a blue ribbon with Early Access on it.

The great big Early Access banner on the product page isn't enough? It's quite easy to tell what games are Early Access and not buy them, if you don't want them.
slovenian89 Aug 11, 2013 @ 8:50pm 
Originally posted by Dagnabbit:

The great big Early Access banner on the product page isn't enough? It's quite easy to tell what games are Early Access and not buy them, if you don't want them.
OP said without having to go to the product page to tell that it's an early access, I thought my idea was a good solution since they already have similar for DLC & Demos.

Heck, they even have them for Mods and Videos/Trailers too.

They also used it during the summer sale to mark which games had Cards.
Last edited by slovenian89; Aug 11, 2013 @ 8:52pm
wat. ᶜʰᵉᵉˢᵉ Aug 11, 2013 @ 8:56pm 
agree with op. would save time, just having the clarification at a glance.
Dagnabbit Aug 11, 2013 @ 9:02pm 

OP said without having to go to the product page to tell that it's an early access, I thought my idea was a good solution since they already have similar for DLC & Demos.

Sounds like laziness to me. Following on this logic:

"I shouldn't have to go to a game's product page to see if it's GfWL!"
"I shouldn't have to go to a game's product page to see if it has DLC!"
"I shouldn't have to go to a game's product page to see if it has gamepad support!"

I can keep going, as using the logic presented in this thread, these are all valid complaints.
slovenian89 Aug 11, 2013 @ 9:12pm 

"I shouldn't have to go to a game's product page to see if it has gamepad support!"

I can keep going, as using the logic presented in this thread, these are all valid complaints.
Difference is you mentioned game features/details, which should require you to go to the items store page for the full list of features, details, and restrictions.

However, you should be able to tell from looking at the main store page (without having to go to the details page) if an item is a Full Game, Demo, Alpha/Beta, Software, DLC, or Mod. All of those except Alpha/Beta (Early Access) are marked already.
Last edited by slovenian89; Aug 11, 2013 @ 9:16pm
Dagnabbit Aug 11, 2013 @ 9:51pm 

Difference is you mentioned game features/details, which should require you to go to the items store page for the full list of features, details, and restrictions.

However, you should be able to tell from looking at the main store page (without having to go to the details page) if an item is a Full Game, Demo, Alpha/Beta, Software, DLC, or Mod. All of those except Alpha/Beta (Early Access) are marked already.

Alpha/beta or not, it's still a game for sale. Early Access isn't any different from MMOs always being updated. This is just about not wanting to take 2secs to actuallylook and click the back button. It's as bad as expecting Steam to check what hardware you have and telling you you can't run the game. Anything that takes personal responsibility and due diligence on the part of the consumer out of the equation is bad.
jgcasa Aug 11, 2013 @ 10:00pm 
I support your idea, specially with the ribbon...but I have to say this:
Everytime a new game comes up, I tend to access the store page, community hub and all to research and see if it is interesting.
I think people should do the same. I saw people complaining about buying PC version instead of Mac of the game (so steam should put some check, to stop the user from buying it)...complaining about WarZ, for example (crappy game and all)...
I even saw a thread here to ask steam check the minimum specs of your system and see if it is compatible with the user system. I think the problem is that we are getting too lazy to research, study the games...besides computers can't think for us.
That said, to use a color ribbon would be nice...but then, somebody may complain: "ohh, I thought blue was for dlcs, and I bought a beta..." I support your idea, but wait to see if I'm not right.
slovenian89 Aug 11, 2013 @ 10:04pm 

Alpha/beta or not, it's still a game for sale. Early Access isn't any different from MMOs always being updated. This is just about not wanting to take 2secs to actuallylook and click the back button. It's as bad as expecting Steam to check what hardware you have and telling you you can't run the game. Anything that takes personal responsibility and due diligence on the part of the consumer out of the equation is bad.
Yes, it is different. An Alpha/Beta game is an incomplete game which doesn't include full gameplay features as a finished game would. An MMO is a complete game that is updated over time with new features and content, that's completely different from Alpha games that don't even have all the base game features available.

An Alpha game is much closer to a Demo than it is to a MMO, as Demos have limited gameplay scope and absent features.

Also, it isn't taking personal responsibility away from anyone, as it is already known that it shows on the product details page that it's an Early Access game.

Originally posted by GuilhermePoA:
I support your idea, specially with the ribbon...but I have to say this:
Everytime a new game comes up, I tend to access the store page, community hub and all to research and see if it is interesting.
I think people should do the same. I saw people complaining about buying PC version instead of Mac of the game (so steam should put some check, to stop the user from buying it)...complaining about WarZ, for example (crappy game and all)...
I even saw a thread here to ask steam check the minimum specs of your system and see if it is compatible with the user system. I think the problem is that we are getting too lazy to research, study the games...besides computers can't think for us.
That said, to use a color ribbon would be nice...but then, somebody may complain: "ohh, I thought blue was for dlcs, and I bought a beta..." I support your idea, but wait to see if I'm not right.
I do the same as well and I agree that consumers still need to do research before making a purchase.

Also, the ribbon wouldn't just be a color, it has the text on it saying what it is, to avoid color code confusion. I just said blue at the moment because that's the color of the Early Access notice on the product details page.
Johnny AwesomeSeed Aug 12, 2013 @ 2:31pm 

No, it's not enough. Because I have to go to the game's product page and scroll down in order to see the banner. This is the case with StarForge Alpha. It's an early release game, currently listed as 50% off on the front page under "Specials." As I'm looking through the specials, page after page, like I try to do every week, games like this don't have any clear indication that they're early access until I go to the game's product page and scroll down.

Then there's Guncraft. This game is featured on the main panel on the home page this week. No indication that it's early access, including on the product page itself. Only that it was greenlit by the Steam community. However, after researching the game on YouTube, and subsequently on the Steam forum for the game, I learned that the game is still in development, and that despite Steam's listing the game as "single player" there is no single player campaign.

This is happening on a regular basis. It seems like every time I come here to see what new games are available and what's on sale, I come across something that looks interesting, but isn't finished yet.

So yeah, you've actually made my point by making your counter point..... the big early access banner on the product page is not enough. If there's supposed to be a banner on the thumbnail, then the problem is that this banner isn't showing up when the game is listed under current specials. However, when I searched for the game by title, it didn't appear there either.

Then there's the seperate but related issue of developers just flat out selling games that aren't finished yet.

Like I said, I'm glad Steam is opening doors for independent developers, and I recognize there's an audience interested in testing games out and having "early access" but why does this come at the inconvenience of customers who don't have time to submit bug reports? One of the things that brought me to Steam was it's overall simplicity, ease of use, and reliability. This early access hoop I have to jump through every week has taken away from that, and apparently I'm not alone in feeling so.
386 Aug 12, 2013 @ 9:36pm 
I was a bit disappointed in the sales, i realized after the sales when i went to play games that i'd bought thinking "Oh yea, this looks alright and is cheap enough" not having a closer look to see that it's actually alpha or beta and find out that half the games i'd purchased were not completed games yet!
Satoru Aug 12, 2013 @ 9:42pm 
The Ealry Access banner is clearly shown on the store page.
Satoru Aug 12, 2013 @ 9:43pm 
Originally posted by 386:
I was a bit disappointed in the sales, i realized after the sales when i went to play games that i'd bought thinking "Oh yea, this looks alright and is cheap enough" not having a closer look to see that it's actually alpha or beta and find out that half the games i'd purchased were not completed games yet!

You can't blame the store if you're going to buy games blind.
Showing 1-15 of 65 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 11, 2013 @ 7:10pm