JonWood007 Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:21am
There should be a force steam cloud sync option for games
Okay, this is something that's kinda of been getting on my nerves on and off, but as we know, steam cloud is not perfect. Sometimes it doesn't sync properly. I've had this problem today on my desktop after playing last night on my laptop with civ 5, and I'm tearing my hair out trying to make it sync properly.

I feel like these issues could be solved easily if steam would just implement the option to force steam cloud syncs at will. Under the current system, in order to upload files to the steam cloud or download them to the computer you're using in case of a conflict, you must wait for steam to detect a conflict and then choose the option you would like. The problem with this, however, is steam does not always detect the conflict. This is the problem I'm currently having on civ 5. On my laptop I'm on turn 360, and it loads up no problem and is supposedly up to date with the steam cloud. On my desktop, I'm on turn 340, and it doesn't detect a problem with cloud sync there either. I've tried all the "normal" measures to get them to sync, ie, restarting steam, loading up the game numerous times and resaving, unchecking and rechecking the steam cloud option, and none of these options seem to work. Moreover, they're highly inefficient compared to what I'm suggesting. Under my suggestion, I'd start up the game on my laptop, boom, force cloud sync, upload files. Start up my desktop, boom, force cloud sync, download files. Game now up to date on desktop, problem solved in like 5 minutes instead of spending an hour trying to make it sync via the current less effective and less efficient methods. I really think this would save me and other gamers who game on multiple devices a lot of stress.
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Satoru Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:38am 
Are you sure youre looking at the 'cloud' autosaves or the local ones. Civ5 has both.
JonWood007 Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:38am 
Definitely cloud. I don't even use the local save option.
Satoru Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:42am 
You could try something catastrohpic like turning it off, then turn it back on again. SAVE YOUR SAVES BEFORE YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT THOUGH.
Satoru Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:44am 
JonWood007 Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:57am 
I tried turning it off and back on, I haven't tried the link posted since im literally 5 minutes from just going on my laptop and playing, but I will if the problem persists, regardless, it would be much better if we should just have an actual option to force saves rather than using these convoluted methods. It's simple, straight to the point, and much more efficient.
JonWood007 Jul 7, 2013 @ 12:07pm 
Yeah I just tried the other method....it just redownloaded the same out of date files, so apparently, the problem is my laptop isn't properly syncing them to the cloud in the first place. idk why. Every time I exit civ on it, it shows it trying to sync.

Regardless, I think adding the method I linked above would be simpler, remember, this isn't as much a help thread as a suggestion thread for making things easier and more efficient.
Rodhern Sep 15, 2013 @ 8:44am 
It would be a great feature to have. More than half the times I use the steam cloud something gets messed up.
Tetsuo Mar 30, 2014 @ 8:33pm 
It is highly annoying that this feature does not exist yet. I would suggest simply adding a button to the Steam UI that pops that sync dialog box up, everything else would be the same. Adding this one menu item / button would make a lot of people happy.
Barkaya Mar 31, 2014 @ 10:27am 
Though it's "thread necroing", but still... +1 to suggestion, especially for games with support of Steam Cloud saves only (yeah, those games even exist...).
Scutterman Mar 31, 2014 @ 12:29pm 
Originally posted by Barkaya:
Though it's "thread necroing", but still... +1 to suggestion, especially for games with support of Steam Cloud saves only (yeah, those games even exist...).
It's fine to necro a thread on this forum if your post is on topic. It helps to reduce duplicates, and is a better indication of support for an idea.
Zz Doom Gaze zZ May 8, 2014 @ 3:53pm 
+1
sinni800 Jun 7, 2014 @ 2:29pm 
Some necroing to +1

Turned off, started game, quit, then turned on to force the "take local files vs take cloud files" prompt.

Clicking "take cloud files" didn't do jack ♥♥♥♥, it still said it couldn't sync

What a piece of crap D:

Tried Dark Souls.

Also please make that error a little more descriptive!!
cytoSiN Jul 2, 2014 @ 5:31am 
+1 for suggestion. It will never get implemented, but we can try anyway?
Mettiu Nov 21, 2014 @ 6:35am 
+1 I would really like that feature.
Nick Nov 22, 2014 @ 10:32pm 
+1 bump. running into issues with cloud syncing myself. Cloud sync would be a whole lot more useful if I had direct control over what does and does not get saved. Force sync is probably the easiest way to accomplish this. You could just add two options to the context menu when you right click on games in your library....

1) Overwrite cloud files: Replaces the current cloud save files with the local save files on the computer.
2) Download cloud files: Replaces the local save files on your computer with the save files from the cloud.

Things to consider would be if there were no local files at all. For example if I wanted to just delete all my cloud saves, I would just delete all my local save files and then do an overwrite. The result would be the cloud files being removed and replaced with nothing. Please allow us to do that.

Also if the disk space for the local save files exceeds the disk space on the cloud, how would that be handled? Would you throw an error? Would you just upload the files with the newest time stamps?

Well I'll leave that stuff up to the steam developers but seriously we need this kind of functionality. It would make steam cloud sync go from headache to manageable.
Last edited by Nick; Nov 22, 2014 @ 10:48pm
Showing 1-15 of 18 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jul 7, 2013 @ 11:21am