lllltepahhcs Feb 1, 2013 @ 9:47pm
Why does DO NOT UPDATE not work? Why can't STEAM respect our wishes?
I would like to know why STEAM forces updates on us when we have games running the way we want them to run and have set them to DO NOT UPDATE? STEAM forces us to accept updates that we do not want by locking us out of the game until we allow the update. This is not right. Especially since STEAM does not offer us any explaination about what the update is for and most updates are usually for multiplayer game play which I for one do not need since I DO NOT play multiplayer games. I pay good money for the games on STEAM and then when I get them setup the way I want them and have them running fine for my gameplay type I set them to DO NOT UPDATE because I do not want to have to go through and reset any settings an update may change on me which has repeatedly happened with these forced updates.

Come on STEAM... Why did you give us the option of DO NOT UPDATE if you are NOT going to respect our right to say NO! I do not want the update you are offering! I do not need the update you are offering! Why can't you set STEAM to accept a DO NOT UPDATE setting and provide us with a way to cancel the update so we can play our games?

This is not an unreasonable request. Please respect our wishes NOT TO UPDATE our games because WE know if the game is running the way WE want it to run for US.. And it is clearly shown on the boards here when a game needs attention because the players voice their wishes for updates and patches quite redily here. So why force updates on players who do not want them?

Please fix this STEAM! Make it OK to say NO and give us a way to cancel the update and if possible to tell the update/updater to NOT show us or try to update the game again.

Thank you.
Showing 1-15 of 34 comments
< >
tmwfte Feb 1, 2013 @ 9:51pm 
You seem to have missed the key word; "automatically". In order to run the game, you have to have the most up to date version on Steam, there's no way around it.
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Feb 1, 2013 @ 9:53pm 
What game are you talking about?
lllltepahhcs Feb 1, 2013 @ 9:59pm 
I am not talking about STEAM updating... You cannot set STEAM to DO NOT UPDATE! I have all of my games set to DO NOT UPDATE once I get them setup and running the way I want them to and in the past three weeks several of my DO NOT UPDATE games have been locked out by STEAM trying to update them dispite the setting and two of them where older games that the developers have not release any updates for in months, and one game has been well over a year since it's last and final update was released before a sequel to the game came out.

The point is not the game.. The point is that they gave us the option to turn off automatic update on our games but they ignore the setting and lock us out of the games until we give in and accept the update even though we don't want or need it. That is not right. And I am voicing my discontent with it.
lllltepahhcs Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:02pm 
That and I am tired of having to reset all of my game settings and controller settings in my games that have had this happen because whatever update they have shoved down my throat changed all of my settings back to default settings. Then there is the matter of not giving us any explaination of WHAT the update is for so we know if we have any use for it. And that is something that should be common courtesy.

Oh.. And there have been two other games that I had to start over from the very beginning in my campaign mode after the update made my save games unuseable and it was an update for the multiplayer side of the bloody game... I was almost half way through the game! Trashing all of my saved games really sucked!
tmwfte Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:03pm 
Go to properties, look at updates, it says "Do not automatically update this game". The key word again is "automatically", that's all you're turning off when you select the option. There is no possibility to turn off updates completely on any of your games.

In cases of older games updating, it's entirely possible that they've moved to the new content server, which required the update.
lllltepahhcs Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:07pm 
Like DUH dude... What did I say! I set all of my games to the DO NOT UPDATE setting. There are only 2 settings... Update and do not update. And.. When they are set to DO NOT UPDATE they should NOT be updated. Automatically or manually.. Unless I decide that I need to check for an update because I found a problem with the game. Something I have not had with a game unless I was forced to accept an update I didn't want or need to start with. And by them forcing updates on games that are set to do not update they are still automatically updating the game.

And.. Reasons for any update should be revealed to us irreguardless of reason. We have the right to know what the update is for and to know in advance if the update may cause issues with our savegames and configurations. It is, as I said above, common courtesy..
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:10pm 
Originally posted by lllltepahhcs:
The point is not the game.. The point is that they gave us the option to turn off automatic update on our games but they ignore the setting and lock us out of the games until we give in and accept the update even though we don't want or need it. That is not right. And I am voicing my discontent with it.

Actually knowing the game does matter because updates are necessary in games like CSS, all the COD series, TL2, and Borderlands 2 in order to squash bugs and exploits.

And.. Reasons for any update should be revealed to us irreguardless of reason. We have the right to know what the update is for and to know in advance if the update may cause issues with our savegames and configurations. It is, as I said above, common courtesy..

That's cute, since we don't even know what game you are talking about, there is no way we could tell you where to find the changelog if there was any.
tmwfte Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:11pm 
That's not how Steam works, and has never been how Steam works. If you start a game, even if you've set it to "Do not automatically update this game" it will search for, and apply, an update before you can play the game. It's not up to you to patch the game, it's up to the developers/publishers and Steam.

There is NO OPTION to completely turn off updates.
lllltepahhcs Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:21pm 
Rolling cheese. I understand that about multiplayer games. But I do not play multiplayer games. I am having this problem with some of my games that are single player only games so the need for server updates and such are irrelevant with those games because they do not require fixes for exploit bugs etc...

For tmwfte,
The fact that STEAM gives us the option of turning off updates means that STEAM SHOULD work that way... And to get them to fix it so they DO work that way we need to let them know that they are failing to satisfy our needs when they ignore the choice they gave us. That means they need to make the user's choice to not update their game a customer's choice and set the updater to allow the user to cancel the update so they can continue to play their game as they have it setup and running if they are satisfied with their game.

So.. If the option is NOT a true way to turn off updates then STEAM needs to fix it so that we really do have a real way to turn off updates so that our games are not screwed up by unwanted and unneed updates. Then... IF later on there IS a problem the player/user who canceled the update can say OOPS to themselves and change the setting to manually update the game IF the update will fix the error that they experienced... In other words.. If it AINT broke.. Don't Fix it!!
tmwfte Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:28pm 
Again, the key word that you seem to keep missing is "automatically". Steam allows you to turn of automatic updates, as in, whenever they're actually rolled out. This is so that you can actually see them happening, rather than just see a blip of unexpected activity on you bandwidth. You will still need to apply the update, since your files are now out of date with those on the content server's, before you can play the game. You can always hit "Cancel", but, of course, you won't be able to play the game.

As to the suggestion that you'd like no updates whatsoever, you should probably talk to the publishers, or present it in such a fashion on these boards that isn't a knee-jerk rage.
lllltepahhcs Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:34pm 

That's cute, since we don't even know what game you are talking about, there is no way we could tell you where to find the changelog if there was any.

Change logs, patch/update changes, whatever they are titled by the game developers, are commonly released as precurser to the installation process. And this step is being skipped by ALL updates that I have been forced to accept. I have tried to find the update information, useing the update link on the game's info page, on every game that STEAM has locked me out of for an update. Yet every time the update page has come up BLANK. So. No matter which game it was.. There is NO change log availiable on STEAM to refer any of us to because for some reason STEAM failed to post them to the game update pages.. Why offer an Update information page if they are not going to use it?? Same thing as why do they offer us the option of turning updates off if they are going to ignore the setting?? What part of these questions is so hard to understand? Why has all of this got to be so difficult?

The option is provided.. The option was used.. Comply with the user's choice of options and give them a way to excersize that option by canceling the update until such time as they find that it will serve their use. That is pretty simple.

The update information page was provided... If they are going to provide it.. All that is asked is that they use it.. Give us the changelog and fix information so we know if the upate is one that we can use, if it applies to our type of game play or not. Again.. Pretty simple..
lllltepahhcs Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:40pm 
Originally posted by tmwfte:
Again, the key word that you seem to keep missing is "automatically". Steam allows you to turn of automatic updates, as in, whenever they're actually rolled out. This is so that you can actually see them happening, rather than just see a blip of unexpected activity on you bandwidth. You will still need to apply the update, since your files are now out of date with those on the content server's, before you can play the game. You can always hit "Cancel", but, of course, you won't be able to play the game.

As to the suggestion that you'd like no updates whatsoever, you should probably talk to the publishers, or present it in such a fashion on these boards that isn't a knee-jerk rage.

So you know.. I have gone to the publisher's support pages on a number of these games after STEAM's update information pages turned up blank and checked on any update releases. So far only two games had an update release.. Both where multiplayer updates. Nothing in either update for the singleplayer mode of the game... And both updates screwed up my games and trashed my savegames.. And they where singleplayer save games.. And changed my control configurations back to default settings. Don't you have a problem with someone wasting your time? I do.. Hours of game play down the toilet and the updates had nothing to do with my game play mode..

So.. I am not here squacking and screaming and cussing at anyone.. I am just here asking for STEAM to make reasonable changes to the updating system that allows their users the option of not accepting updates they don't need and the information to know if the update is needed for their game or not. Is there ANYTHING in this that is not reasonable and fair to ask??
Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:44pm 
-snip

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_updates ? I still find it funny how you still refuse to tell us what game it is.
ChrisW Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:45pm 
There is no "Do not update" option. There are two options:
1) "Automatically keep this game updated" which means it will update the game when the update is released.
2) "Do not automatically update this game" which means it will wait until you run the game before updating.

Game developers do not want people playing games that have not been updated because they report bugs that have already been fixed. This is why they insist everyone uses the latest version of the game.
tmwfte Feb 1, 2013 @ 10:50pm 
You keep shouting and misunderstanding what the function of Steam's turning off automatic updates is. When the thread title is "Why does DO NOT UPDATE not work? Why can't STEAM respect our wishes?" you're already on the offensive and continue an accusatory tone. There is no option to apply an update if it suits you. If you want it to change, ask for manual updates that you can apply yourself. Given the trend to automatically patch games, it's unlikely that it will happen, but at least come from it from a point of understanding instead of accusation. Don't attack other people when they try to show you the misunderstanding inherent in your initial post either.

I'd prefer manual updates, an ability to pick and choose DLC to apply to the game on my account, and several other changes in terms of how, when, and why Steam applies patches, but I'm not going to get angry if something goes awry under the current system.
Showing 1-15 of 34 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 1, 2013 @ 9:47pm