stromchin Mar 17, 2013 @ 7:07am
Suggestion: add free steam games to libraries
While browsing internet forums, I've seen many people who didn't know that there were free games on steam. I usually link them to this list (the first one that pops up when you search for "list of free steam games" on google:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851573
My suggestion is to add all those games already in people's libraries.
This creates a problem however, for the people who like to have their steam libraries clean, so I also suggest a "hidden" category. right click -> hide this game, and they go into that hidden category, and they don't show up even in the "all of my games" filter.
Moonbase alpha, Trackmania Nations Forever, Alien Swarm...

TL;DR
add all the free games in steam to people's libraries. But also add a way to hide games from the library.
Last edited by stromchin; Mar 17, 2013 @ 7:28am
Showing 1-15 of 60 comments
< >
Spawn of Totoro Mar 17, 2013 @ 7:12am 
Many others will object to game being added that they do not want. There have been several threads of people asking to be able to delete the "free games" information from their profile history too.

Things are fine as it is without forcing games into someone's library.

As for "hidden"catagory.
Just set your library to show installed games only. Only games that are installed will show up. A hidden catagory is not needed.
stromchin Mar 17, 2013 @ 7:26am 
The hidden category is to solve the problem for people who want to be able to remove those free games, or even other games they don't like.
If I want to show people my games, or take a screenshot, as some people do in some online forums, I can't install all my games just to hide the ones I don't like with "installed"

"Things are fine as it is without forcing games into someone's library."
Except for a lot of people who don't know that those games even exist. And they might actually love them. Trackmania Nations Forever is a game loved by many and with a big community, but it's not known by many, specially people coming from a console background who are starting to play on PC.

You say that a hidden category is not necessary, but suggest a harder workaround. I know it's not a real necessity, but it's a feature that doesn't harm anybody, and in fact I'm sure that it's a feature that many people would welcome.

Including free games in people's libraries:
pros:
- new users are happy that they got at least some games and get to have fun already (think of people buying the steambox when it's released too).
- I have played a lot of trackmania nations forever, but it doesn't show up in my library when I uninstall it.
cons:
- Some people think their steam library looks ugly with certain games in there.
- Takes time to develop

And the perfect solution to those cons would be to have a hidden category.

Having a hidden category system:
pros:
- people can have their steam libraries the way they want. Not just for these free games. for example I have a game called Secret of the Magic Crystal, I think I got it in some bundle or something. I would really really really like to hide that game from my steam library.
cons:
- Takes time to develop
Spawn of Totoro Mar 17, 2013 @ 7:37am 
If people wanted f2p games, they would look for them. There is even a catagory for it. If someone wants to play, they will. Adding games that someon may not want or be interested is does more harm then good. People don't like things being forced on them

Trackmania Nations Forever is a pile of trash, imho. Why would I want that on my account at all? Let alone being force to take it.

A hidden catagory is harder, requires more effort and decision making. You have to add the games to it. By selecting the "installed" option, everything that is not installed isn't listed.

New users can easely find free game if they are lookg for them. Most get on here to buy games or a game they bought requires Steam.

Some may be ok with it at first then decide it is clutter and they will never play them, then a suggestion will come up asking that games not be added automatical and/or the ability to remove them.

Originally posted by stromchin:
- I have played a lot of trackmania nations forever, but it doesn't show up in my library when I uninstall it.

I said in their profile page, not their library.

Again, set your library to installed. All non-installed games vanish. No moving or adding games there. You are jsut adding more steps with a hidden category.
vapula Mar 17, 2013 @ 12:03pm 
Finding the free games is not a problem, so I don't see the need to add them automatically to players libraries.

But, when you've installed one such free game, it'd be nice to have it stay in the library even if you uninstall it. That way, you'd be ablt to find it back easily, you can put it in a category (I've some game from bundle that I don't like and end up in a "trash" category. Other are in a category based on their genre), ...
)
Precautionz Mar 17, 2013 @ 12:20pm 
Although it may not be necessary, a good implementation for this would be;
Upon hovering over "Store", in addition to "Featured", "News", "Recommended", "Wishlist" and "Stats"; A "Free To Play" drop-menu option could be added.
Law Mar 17, 2013 @ 2:09pm 
Please no. My library is already cluttered with the games I own. I don't want to have to go through extra work just to hide games I don't want. I already spent time sorting it with steams current terrible sorting system.

I would rather have the option of moving multiple items into a category at once.
Last edited by Law; Mar 17, 2013 @ 2:13pm
ᴷᴬᴿᴿ Mar 17, 2013 @ 4:19pm 
You need a place that says "Free games here!" rather than forcing them on EVERYONE, when 90% of the people don't want them in the first place.
stromchin Mar 18, 2013 @ 6:07am 
ok ok, I get it
nobody likes my suggestion.

@Dance: moving multiple items at once should have been implemented since the first day anyone tried to categorize 100+ games.
But anyways that's a story for another thread.

But I still see an unsolved problem: many people don't know that there are free games and I have to show them a way to that other thread with the links, and they usually thank me. So imagine all the people that don't know about it!
Last edited by stromchin; Mar 18, 2013 @ 6:13am
PKB Mac Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:46am 
Not sure I'd want my library cluttered with f2p games. If customers are having a hard time finding them in the store, another method of promoting them within the store should be sufficient (though I don't see much problem with the present method).

I would, however, like to see the option of leaving a game that has been previously installed in the library. For example, Desura gives you the option, when uninstalling a game, to delete local content OR delete and remove from library. This would be useful to those with limited hdd space or multiple machines who frequently install/uninstall games.

As for the "hidden category", this isn't a bad idea, and might solve issues that have been on steam for years (such as multiple instances of Civ IV and GTA3 in your library). It may not be necessary, as Spawn of Totoro pointed out, but it probably wouldn't hurt. Overall, I'd just like to see some increased control given to users in how we sort or library.

My two cents. Thoughts?
Zefar Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:49am 
Originally posted by TheBDK:
They were removed in the first place because they were so incredibly annoying.

Yes, I'm sure an extra game in your 225 game list is super annoying to the point of that you have to do something about it.

Other than you know, Show installed games only and leave it at that.

But people who don't these games on their list are basically just people who want complete control over their Steam account. If they can't do that they will make sure Valve hears about it and how it RUINS their Steam account.

I would have no problem if all of those games showed up on my list. They could have a "Free" tag next to them so I know it's free.

This is because I have absolutely no will to stare at my Steam games list window 24/7 and only open it when I need to start a game or install it.

Sadly this won't happen because people will whine about practically anything these days.
Law Mar 18, 2013 @ 9:55am 
I feel bad enough that a humble bundle key forced Lugaru HD into my library.
Precautionz Mar 18, 2013 @ 10:25am 
Originally posted by Dance Commander Law:
I feel bad enough that a humble bundle key forced Lugaru HD into my library.

You can get that removed. I hated the "Dota 2 Test", so I contacted Steam Support and they removed it without any questions. Just do the same if it annoys you that much.
Law Mar 18, 2013 @ 10:30am 
But then if this was implemented Steam Support would probably be flooded with requests to get things removed. They shouldn't have to do more work because people can't find the Free to Play category in the store.

Maybe having one of those mesage boxes popping up advertising the free games (the ones that are already used for advertising games) or a "Steam Beginnings" badge that involves installing a F2P game if you want a system that'll show new people "oh hey there are free games", but I don't want to constantly have new F2P games showing up in my library and having to go "When did I get this? Did I buy this?" when I already have far too many games as it is.
Hashbrick Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:04pm 
This is how I read it. Suggestion: Bloat everyones library with free to play ♥♥♥♥ games and if they don't like it give them a hide button to hide them.

How about you just don't put them in anyones f*ckin library and those people that like to play ♥♥♥♥ free to play games can just download the ones they like. How about that? Would that be ok with you sir? Will the world go on? Is it lunch time? How blue is the sky?
Last edited by Hashbrick; Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:05pm
stromchin Mar 18, 2013 @ 12:27pm 
Thanks for apporting so much to the thread with your kind words.
Showing 1-15 of 60 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50