AzothStorm Mar 14, 2013 @ 8:20pm
new steam idea business model
me and a friend where thinking and we came up with a new business model steam+. Steam plus will allow users to trade games on there steam account to other steam users on steam plus. now given if you buy a new game you cant trade it for 30 days to keep people from abusing the system this also said for just bought games as well. now this will a subscription base of lets say 10.00 a month now say a normal members on are 3 million now lets say half of those subscribe that is 15,000,000 a month in steams pocket even if u do half of that that's still millions of dollars. that's even on top of people buying new games or old games off steam so your looking at so much money and were able to trade games we've beaten games we bought and hated. I myself have 4-5 games on my steam I wish I could trade for other games I would like and lets just say steam plus members get exclusive deals on steam normal users don't and maybe special dlc's for games now this will be a choice if you don't want the steam plus you can still be a normal member and buy games like normal.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Tsundere Kanojo Mar 14, 2013 @ 8:35pm 
They wouldn't make much money from this at all.

You would have people with Steam accounts with a tiny number of games getting traded games from another person who could have 1000+ games for the minimal price of a measly $10.

The other person would basically be getting games almost free.

And then there's the problem of account hijacking.

You'd have scammers trading games off the victimized account for a simple cost of $10.
Satoru (Banned) Mar 14, 2013 @ 8:44pm 
Let me trade you all my VAC banned, Treyarch banned, IW banned, GFWL banned, Battleye banned games. You've just given cheaters a awy to circumvent the entire ban system
Last edited by Satoru; Mar 14, 2013 @ 8:44pm
AzothStorm Mar 14, 2013 @ 8:47pm 
as I said in my post both people will need steam plus you cannot trade to someone who does not have steam plus. and of course you couldn't trade a 60.00 game for a game that is 2.00 it needs to be almost a equal trade with no more then a 30.00 gap. Now hijacking would just be solved by steam themselves and there security and yes of course there would be in place to keep people from trading banned games and such.
AzothStorm Mar 14, 2013 @ 8:52pm 
overall its just a idea details can be edited to fit steams ideas and agenda to protect steam and the consumers.
Last edited by AzothStorm; Mar 14, 2013 @ 8:53pm
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:33pm 
Originally posted by LordMalik:
overall its just a idea details can be edited to fit steams ideas and agenda to protect steam and the consumers.

The same awful idea is tossed up every month in Suggestions & Ideas. The same drawbacks still apply. The game publishers would riot. Steam would have to pay out more money for distribution rights / costs. There is absolutely no upside to it and we'd all end up paying more money for games -- not less.
Last edited by [dirrty]gsharp; Mar 14, 2013 @ 9:34pm
AzothStorm Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:09pm 
if thats the case if itll cost so much money then how about make it so people can trade there legit games after having them for 30 days for a maximum of 3-4 times a year ? once you run out you gotta wait a year before you can trade again
Last edited by AzothStorm; Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:09pm
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:11pm 
Originally posted by LordMalik:
if thats the case if itll cost so much money then how about make it so people can trade there legit games after having them for 30 days for a maximum of 3-4 times a year ? once you run out you gotta wait a year before you can trade again

It's not Steam's call to make. The game publishers have to get on board with your scheme.
Summit_Q Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:34pm 
LordMalik:
Your idea has been partially implemented by GMG and Gamefly. You can sell back some of your old games to GMG if you don't want to play any more. Many people are waiting to see when Steam will offer the similar service.
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:54pm 
Originally posted by scarecrow0588:
LordMalik:
Your idea has been partially implemented by GMG and Gamefly. You can sell back some of your old games to GMG if you don't want to play any more.

You forgot the "at a fraction of their original price" part. Though, even at $4 cashback on a $40 game, that's better than what we have now.

Also, their cashback policy only applies to games purchased from them.

EDIT: One more thing. GMG's trade-in policy doesn't apply to all games. Crysis2 can be traded in but Omerta can't. Interesting.

For GMG's trading policy: http://blog.greenmangaming.com/2011/01/green-man-gaming-trading-introduction.html
Last edited by [dirrty]gsharp; Mar 14, 2013 @ 11:59pm
Tsundere Kanojo Mar 15, 2013 @ 12:31am 
@gsharp

Obvious as to why Omerta can't be traded in, it's a game that uses Steam keys.

And where does it say that Crysis 2 can be traded in?

It lists on the side that it can't be traded in and that it requires Origin to activate.
Last edited by Tsundere Kanojo; Mar 15, 2013 @ 12:34am
[dirrty]gsharp Mar 15, 2013 @ 12:47am 
Originally posted by Tsundere Kanojo:
@gsharp

Obvious as to why Omerta can't be traded in, it's a game that uses Steam keys.

And where does it say that Crysis 2 can be traded in?

It lists on the side that it can't be traded in and that it requires Origin to activate.

Oops. We get cashback but the game cannot be traded in. I was one-click away from learning that. Sorry. :)
Tito Shivan Mar 15, 2013 @ 3:13am 
Just a basic math problem:
The number of users paying the service x amounts of title values traded < the amount of money earned from selling those titles.

As long as that equation can't be, at the very least, equaled, a used game trading system won't be implemented
Summit_Q Mar 15, 2013 @ 3:42am 
Well, see you again, Tito Shivan. Are you tracing me?
Please allow me to point out the defect in your simplified equation. When we are discussing the profit and loss of a company, cash flow is a very important concept. The left side of your equation must be divided by the average reselling period. And the right side should be the total volume of sales during the same period, including they received beforehand for the special franchise.

P.S.
Even the equation I modified is still too simplified and incorrect. The key point is that the net cash flow must maintain positive every month, otherwise the employees wouldn't get their wages.
Last edited by Summit_Q; Mar 15, 2013 @ 7:21am
AzothStorm Mar 15, 2013 @ 10:18am 
overall there has to be ways around this whole we buy a game and were stuck with it thing cause I can only assume Im not the only person who has games I will never play just because I think there crap. I mean Honestly yea there will be a lose somewere and given yea what if we can trade the game back at a 10% loss to use on a 60.00 game thats 6.00. Given it might be higher and whats given back will be either put on a credit card or added to a steam wallet. Id even go for that to try and get games I like by getting rid of games I dont
Satoru (Banned) Mar 15, 2013 @ 10:22am 
Originally posted by scarecrow0588:
LordMalik:
Your idea has been partially implemented by GMG and Gamefly. You can sell back some of your old games to GMG if you don't want to play any more. Many people are waiting to see when Steam will offer the similar service.

There are still several issues that GMG and Gamefly do not have to deal with

1) Grey market cross regional pricing. Neither store has to deal with this sine they deal in only USD or Euros. Steam would have to account for games sold in regions like Russia being resold in Europe or America. Note not all games are region tagged in any way so you could actually MAKE money by selling games between regions. You'd have to disable the feature for gifted games.

2) Bans. How do bans transfer? Note that GMG and Gamefly actually transfer licenses. This means that any system in Steam would also have to do the same. How would bans transfer

3) 3rd party authentication mechanisms. UPlay, Origin, GFWL, Stardock for starters. Also 3rd party bans like Treyarch does for BO2. How do these keys transfer given that they are intended for SINGLE USE on the target authentication system.

These are just the tip of the iceberg in tmers of licensing and technical problems
Last edited by Satoru; Mar 15, 2013 @ 10:29am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 31 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 14, 2013 @ 8:20pm