Zymar Mar 28 @ 10:09am
Separate Alpha Category
It is a Sales falacy that - long term - more Sales are achieved by allowing Alpha access games into mainstream listings. What is very clear, all it is achieving at present, is huge angst from Casual Gamers who do not understand the true nature of an Alpha Phase, wish to stay clear of them, and do not want to wade through copious quantities of them to find finished games to consider. Persoanlly, I'm all for Alpha Access games on Steam ....

..... however, its asking for trouble as currently layout in Steam, as the Genre expands with more Games Houses latching onto the benefits of early Alpha access in the testing and development cycle. There should be a separate category of Games "Alpha Access" with a short explanation of what the gamer is getting up front as a Category explanation. That way the casual Gamer knows whats going on, and all the angst is taken out of the issue.

If the Steam Sales guys think that - in the long term - increased Sales are achieved by mixing Alpha's inside the main listings, they live in a world of dreams - Casual gamers will get (and are getting) VERY ticked off, causing a big kick back on Steam.

Its a long term shot-yourself-in-the-foot-exercise to mix Alphas in the same Sales Listings as Main Stream Releases.

Alpha access deals are a good thing, reputable Games Houses are offering out good deals for Alpha access - Stardocks release two days ago on Alpha was a case in point, superb deal. Not every Games House will be as well behaved on this issue, and a totally separate Alpha Release Category benefits everyone - protects casual gamers, and help Games Houses get early cash flow with freebie testers.

Its a win-win, but only if a separate Alpha Category is put in place,

Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
cloven0angel Mar 28 @ 12:19pm 
I agree with your general sentiment, however, it's not just casual gamers who are annoyed with how Early Access is pushed on Steam. I have been gaming for over 30 years and am a qualified Software Engineer (so I know how software is developed) and I have a low opinion on the current state of things, i'm sure i'm not the only 'non-casual' gamer that dislikes how Valve is trying to force EA down our gullets...
Mattman Mar 30 @ 9:32pm 
It would be nice to be able to search for games that aren't early access, at least. You do have the option to search FOR early access games, but the reverse isn't true.

I've had mixed results with the alphas that I've tried, some awesome games that only get better and some total duds that go nowhere, and I'm getting a bit tired of sorting through the chaff every time I'm looking for a game to buy. Sometimes, all I want is to find a game that is fully complete and waiting for me to enjoy it.

Is that so much to ask Steam?
Fox Mar 31 @ 3:32am 
Originally posted by Zymar:
It is a Sales falacy that - long term - more Sales are achieved by allowing Alpha access games into mainstream listings. What is very clear, all it is achieving at present, is huge angst from Casual Gamers who do not understand the true nature of an Alpha Phase, wish to stay clear of them, and do not want to wade through copious quantities of them to find finished games to consider. Persoanlly, I'm all for Alpha Access games on Steam ....

..... however, its asking for trouble as currently layout in Steam, as the Genre expands with more Games Houses latching onto the benefits of early Alpha access in the testing and development cycle. There should be a separate category of Games "Alpha Access" with a short explanation of what the gamer is getting up front as a Category explanation. That way the casual Gamer knows whats going on, and all the angst is taken out of the issue.

If the Steam Sales guys think that - in the long term - increased Sales are achieved by mixing Alpha's inside the main listings, they live in a world of dreams - Casual gamers will get (and are getting) VERY ticked off, causing a big kick back on Steam.

Its a long term shot-yourself-in-the-foot-exercise to mix Alphas in the same Sales Listings as Main Stream Releases.

Alpha access deals are a good thing, reputable Games Houses are offering out good deals for Alpha access - Stardocks release two days ago on Alpha was a case in point, superb deal. Not every Games House will be as well behaved on this issue, and a totally separate Alpha Release Category benefits everyone - protects casual gamers, and help Games Houses get early cash flow with freebie testers.

Its a win-win, but only if a separate Alpha Category is put in place,
The main store page won't be tailored to any taste ever, since it's made for everyone.

You'd be better off asking for the ability to exclude tags in the newly added "For You" section. That way, you can exclude early access, while other could use it for other purposes, instead of the single-use suggestion you made.
Satoru Mar 31 @ 7:03am 
Originally posted by Zymar:
It is a Sales falacy that - long term - more Sales are achieved by allowing Alpha access games into mainstream listings. ,

So the fact that DayZ and Rust are in the top10 sales # on steam consistently is apparently part of that fallacy?
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 28 @ 10:09am