Sputnik Satellite Mar 22 @ 3:07am
Remove friend adding limit.
So STEAM decided to add a friend-adding limit, that only lets you add about 5 people per day or something like that. I think that was a really dumb move.

So why did they do this?
A lot of people are talking about it will prevent phishing but no phisher ADDED me.. I got phishing messages on my account, but no ADDS.

Maybe they are doing this to limit STEAM trading, to make people use the market instead, so they make more money from the market fees..

Anyways, this friend adding limit makes MUCH MORE HARM than good.
//Angry STEAM user.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Suggestions from other users
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"steam should just add a thing like After 5 reports for phishing there Friends list should get a Large RED bar that says 'WARNING THIS USER HAS BEEN REPORTED FOR SENDING FAKE LOGIN LINKS' and that would fix it all. and if your not a Phisher just ask steam to remove the alert."

------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Simple one, steam can add captcha in friend add menu. There's a lot of bot-proof captchas today.
2. Steam SHOULD tie an account to phone number.
3. Steam should make trade offers for other people available without adding them or having their direct links. Maybe it should be an option to make a trade offer without an oportunity to send a message to prevent a links there.
4. Steam should make a sound notification when there's an incoming trade offer.
5. Or steam can totally disable a links in private messages. Everybody have a twitter or facebook now, yup ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Sputnik Satellite; Mar 23 @ 5:22am
Showing 1-15 of 135 comments
< >
TirithRR Mar 22 @ 3:57am 
Not being able to add friends is not "Harm" so I don't see how it adds "MUCH MORE HARM than good."
Sputnik Satellite Mar 22 @ 4:08am 
Originally posted by TirithRR:
Not being able to add friends is not "Harm" so I don't see how it adds "MUCH MORE HARM than good."

It ruins trading A LOT. Hmm, if you need an item and see people who sell them, how are you going to ask them if they are for sale if you can't add em huh?
TirithRR Mar 22 @ 4:14am 
Wait? Be more selective with your trades? Create an existing network of friends to trade with? Use common groups to send people messages?
Sputnik Satellite Mar 22 @ 4:16am 
That would just make everything much slower.. I don't see the point of limiting friend adding.
Pheace [MCT] Mar 22 @ 4:47am 
or just wait until the people trading realize they can just use the trade offers and put trade offer links if they're trading. (or on their profile).

People will adjust if they have to, it'll just take a while
UFOboy Mar 22 @ 5:36am 
You don't HAVE to be friends to trade. It's just the way most people got to doing it. As Pheace said, you can make trade offer links. Also, you can trade with people on trading forums... without being friends...

Maybe steam DID add the limit because people were just becoming friends for trading then quiting being friends... but honestly it would only be because people aren't using the system right.
Numskullz Mar 22 @ 6:01am 
Yes this is good
Sputnik Satellite Mar 22 @ 6:26am 
Originally posted by UFOboy:
You don't HAVE to be friends to trade. It's just the way most people got to doing it. As Pheace said, you can make trade offer links. Also, you can trade with people on trading forums... without being friends...

Maybe steam DID add the limit because people were just becoming friends for trading then quiting being friends... but honestly it would only be because people aren't using the system right.

Well most people doesn't use trade offers. I doubt people will adjust, and I really don't see the real issue of having a limit, everything worked good before, so why adding it? This is like when YouTube got the Google+ update.
UFOboy Mar 22 @ 6:43am 
Originally posted by Sputnik SatelliteQuickSelling:

Well most people doesn't use trade offers. I doubt people will adjust, and I really don't see the real issue of having a limit, everything worked good before, so why adding it? This is like when YouTube got the Google+ update.
People always adjust. That's what people DO. That's why there are hackers still. Not like the first anti-virus program came up and then hackers everywhere were like, "Oh no! we can never virus anything ever again! it is now impossible!" I wish they did... that would be nice...

Valve is basically trying to just stear people in a direction to use both Trading and the Friends system correctly to avoid issues. Because there is really no ease difference between the two ways or anything, but one way is the way Vavle set it up to work, and the 'safer' of the two options. So valve added a tiny tiny limit to help push people into changing their ways. The new way it works might not even last long if people start to use trading normally.

As for the youtube google+ thing... that is because Google owns Youtube. And google doesn't believe in LINKING accounts together, they want there to be one account that can be used everywhere in the internet. They tried to buy facebook, they have considered buying stumbleupon, and i think paypal too... not sure about the paypal one... that may be just rumor. They want to be the passport of the internet.

Rambling again... sorry.
Sputnik Satellite Mar 22 @ 7:00am 
Originally posted by Sputnik SatelliteQuickSelling:

People always adjust. That's what people DO. That's why there are hackers still. Not like the first anti-virus program came up and then hackers everywhere were like, "Oh no! we can never virus anything ever again! it is now impossible!" I wish they did... that would be nice...

Valve is basically trying to just stear people in a direction to use both Trading and the Friends system correctly to avoid issues. Because there is really no ease difference between the two ways or anything, but one way is the way Vavle set it up to work, and the 'safer' of the two options. So valve added a tiny tiny limit to help push people into changing their ways. The new way it works might not even last long if people start to use trading normally.

As for the youtube google+ thing... that is because Google owns Youtube. And google doesn't believe in LINKING accounts together, they want there to be one account that can be used everywhere in the internet. They tried to buy facebook, they have considered buying stumbleupon, and i think paypal too... not sure about the paypal one... that may be just rumor. They want to be the passport of the internet.

Rambling again... sorry.

You got some points in what you're saying but it's like, I doubt everyone will use the trade offer system, and I do believe that it was a very bad idea to make a friend-add limit. Most people don't use the trade offer system sadly. But yeah, my best hope is that Valve removes it.
Meho ~ Mar 22 @ 7:19am 
I agree to this suggestion. I can't add a bot when I'm about to bet on a specific team in dota2lounge (BETTING).
=[pG]=™ ϟPlaxorøus☢ Mar 22 @ 4:08pm 
What they could have done instead is that add a feature that shows up green if it is legitimate steam site and red/orange if the link appears suspicious/threat but no valve again decided to take the poor way to fix things. Avid traders are having tons of problems with this new feature let alone bots, they are having the worst of their times.
Sputnik Satellite Mar 22 @ 4:12pm 
Originally posted by =pG=™ ϟPlaxorøus☢:
What they could have done instead is that add a feature that shows up green if it is legitimate steam site and red/orange if the link appears suspicious/threat but no valve again decided to take the poor way to fix things. Avid traders are having tons of problems with this new feature let alone bots, they are having the worst of their times.

This x1000.
You know Valve, they don't do the good and easy fix, they have to make everything worse.
kijib Mar 22 @ 4:20pm 
they should definitely have limits for low level accounts to stop 1 game accounts
Iceman Raikkonen Mar 22 @ 4:25pm 
There could be more to this. For example, since they limit the amount of friends you can add a day to trade, they could be increasing the amount of people using in game purchases to get their items. Just a thought.
Showing 1-15 of 135 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 22 @ 3:07am