KON_Air Mar 21, 2014 @ 1:33am
A non-bloated Steam Client
There is a huge amount of bloat in steam client under the guise of "social networking", will there ever be a "just launch the games and use the store" client in future?
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
daniu -TLG- Mar 21, 2014 @ 1:40am 
How is "use the store" not bloat? Not like you can't do that in a browser (and better than from the client). The whole website rendering part could go. But does full Steam even start when you click a Steam game link on the Desktop? There is a service running which might handle that, but I never do it that way so I don't know.

Anyway I don't think leaving out the "friends" part is possible because some games have access to that integrated (like L4D2 with the "friends playing" and "group server" list and the Total Wars MP features).
Last edited by daniu -TLG-; Mar 21, 2014 @ 1:41am
KON_Air Mar 21, 2014 @ 1:44am 
...yeah even store is filled with literal junk.
Fox Mar 21, 2014 @ 4:54am 
Originally posted by KON_Air:
There is a huge amount of bloat in steam client under the guise of "social networking", will there ever be a "just launch the games and use the store" client in future?
Display > Small mode.
You'll only have your library on hand, which is partway what you wanted.
Satoru Mar 21, 2014 @ 5:16am 
There is no 'bloat' on the client

All the 'bloat' you're talking about are WEB BASED COMPONENTS. They are rendered in the BROWSER.
Fork_Q2 (Banned) Mar 21, 2014 @ 5:23am 
Originally posted by Satoru:

All the 'bloat' you're talking about are WEB BASED COMPONENTS. They are rendered in the BROWSER.

I'm sure he knows that, WebKit/Blink is a bloated rendering engine, even worse then Gecko is now.
Satoru Mar 21, 2014 @ 5:31am 
Originally posted by Fork_Q:

I'm sure he knows that, WebKit/Blink is a bloated rendering engine, even worse then Gecko is now.

The fact that the OP wants to 'just see the store' more or less means they don't mean what you're talking about. Not to mention just to render the store you have to get the browser and flash running. Also the 'bloat' between rendering engines is extremely minimal especially given that the client can't render tabs.
Fork_Q2 (Banned) Mar 21, 2014 @ 5:40am 

The fact that the OP wants to 'just see the store' more or less means they don't mean what you're talking about. Not to mention just to render the store you have to get the browser and flash running. Also the 'bloat' between rendering engines is extremely minimal especially given that the client can't render tabs.

Fair point about the OP's suggestions. You don't need Flash to access the Steam Store (I don't have it installed and I'm watching the Bioshock Infinite trailer off Firefox). Looking at the load differences at just opening the Steam main store page, there is significant differences between Opera (Presto), IE (Trident), Firefox, and Chrome; Chrome is a beast!
Forcen Mar 21, 2014 @ 5:56am 
Want less bloat?
View>Small mode

Keep it that way, use your favorite web browser for the rest.
Fork_Q2 (Banned) Mar 21, 2014 @ 5:57am 
Originally posted by Forcen:
Want less bloat?
View>Small mode

That just makes the client really buggy.
Forcen Mar 21, 2014 @ 5:57am 
Originally posted by Forcen:
Want less bloat?
View>Small mode

That just makes the client really buggy.
What do you mean?
Fork_Q2 (Banned) Mar 21, 2014 @ 5:58am 
Crashes a lot in small mode.
Forcen Mar 21, 2014 @ 6:00am 
You should join the steam beta and if you can reproduce the bug, post about it in the Beta forum.
MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™ Mar 21, 2014 @ 7:22pm 
I just wish it would break less often, the endless steam tries to update everytime you start it bug and such never go away.
Scutterman Mar 21, 2014 @ 7:30pm 
Originally posted by MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™:
I just wish it would break less often, the endless steam tries to update everytime you start it bug and such never go away.
Does it happen if you uninstall Steam and re-install it?
Satoru Mar 21, 2014 @ 7:34pm 
Originally posted by MA☝Omgwtfbbqstfu™:

Unless you'er part of the Steam Client Beta updates are very infrequent
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Mar 21, 2014 @ 1:33am