HypnoPandaRAWR Mar 20 @ 5:52pm
Family Sharing Improvements
I recently started sharing my libraries with a few close friends and family, and I believe it would be beneficial if it was singular games that could not be played simultaneous rather than entire libraries.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Satoru Mar 20 @ 6:03pm 
That would be too ripe for abuse
HypnoPandaRAWR Mar 20 @ 6:17pm 
How so?
dynastystar Mar 20 @ 6:39pm 
Originally posted by HypnoPandaRAWR:
How so?
Dust: An Elysian Tail, love the ♥♥♥♥ out of that game. Haven't touched it for months(would play through again though). In the huge lapse of time that I haven't played my single player games, my friends/family could pick them up from in my library, play through the entire game and not every have to spend a penny.
HypnoPandaRAWR Mar 20 @ 6:44pm 
Isn't that the sort of thing steam is going for with this family sharing deal that your closest loved ones can play your games so that they don't have to buy it.
dynastystar Mar 20 @ 7:42pm 
Isn't that the sort of thing steam is going for with this family sharing deal that your closest loved ones can play your games so that they don't have to buy it.
Its got to have some limitations though.
HypnoPandaRAWR Mar 21 @ 9:51pm 
It just has some bugs that need to be worked out my friend was playing my skyrim and never got the message I started playing and lost a few hours of playtime.
UFOboy Mar 22 @ 6:32am 
I know the logical thing to think is you're loaning your game to another person... but on Steam you don't own games, you own licenses to play games. You can't really change hands on licenses... even if you do, the license doesn't work for the other person.

So Valve sees it as the License is tied to the account, so you can let other people borrow your account. That is the thinking if i get it myself.

Other reasons could be...

Valve doesn't want the abuse of 10 people all buying different games, becoming 'family' then playing each others games, just never the same on at the same time. Because that would be 10 people able to play 9 times their library without paying for it. I own 100 games about. That would be me having access to 900 more games without paying for them.

Valve doesn't want their digital content to develop any of the same issues physical content has. Such as renting, people making money off the games and valve not getting any.

Valve is trying to be nice, but they are afraid of being TOO nice and being taken advantage of, so they are adding a few non-sense rules to keep things in control for them.
HypnoPandaRAWR Mar 22 @ 1:27pm 
Well the problem with me and my friends is that we are constantly on steam and if I was trying to go through a story heavy game I'm constantly interrupted when they come on and I don't want to tell them to get off since its their game.
Hempest Mar 22 @ 2:33pm 
Well the problem with me and my friends is that we are constantly on steam and if I was trying to go through a story heavy game I'm constantly interrupted when they come on and I don't want to tell them to get off since its their game.

Then buy the game yourself, family sharing is not meant to be used in the way you want. The way i see family sharing is for families who have several people sharing one computer, allowing them to each have their own "profile" with seperates saves and achievements.
Showing 1-9 of 9 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 20 @ 5:52pm