mhek 20 MAR 2014 a las 9:42
cyclable default and custom friend grouping (organize your friends list however you want, dynamically)
some of the examples for features of friends list grouping are obviously not possible without further recording of certain data, and most would be under good examples for dynamic grouping by personal preference. i'm posting to see how popular this idea could be, and pass it on to steam, as thus far among friends everyone so far has said they'd love it.

the basic idea is for cyclable friends grouping or drop down default gorouping of friends, with dynamic custom options such as;

custom group examples being sorting friends by custom groups such as date friended (new friends (descend by added), noob friends (grouped by game hours descending to easily discern skilled players versus new players, a secondary grouping option for grouping by most played game, easy to implement multiple grouping option (sort by most played game, descended by hours inside each game group)), sort by game you met the player in (sorted by what game you met them in and added them while playing), custom groups (multiple group adds for each friend would be required) for friends such as groups of friends you regularly play with in certain games, pools of friends you rely on to start friends only games, reliable players to easily use in game invite features so you can quickly invite those who commonly join on invite, etc

so after the obvious choices like most played game, most played game genre (grouping by the new game tagging feature), most hours played with, hours played in each game group when grouped by most played game, win/loss ratio grouping (again a secondary grouping option to most played game or custom grouping options), etc. there is the clear and obvious options provided by allowing custom dynamic grouping.

i realize there is already a 'group' tag on the friends list, but it's currently just steam server groups. i truly think dynamic custom friend groups could easily put the group list into the number one position of ways to sort/invite friends.

clearly the room for examples and suggestions is massive, i'd be happy to read ideas for this feature, and get feedback on interest in it becoming a real possibility for the steam application, as myself and every friend i've asked would absolutely love it, besides it'd be extremely useful.
< >
Mostrando 1-15 de 21 comentarios
Osa 20 MAR 2014 a las 10:08 
Your idea is great, and to be able to custom design it is awesome. If this becomes a thing, my god, id be happy.
Scutterman 20 MAR 2014 a las 10:09 
I think this is far too complicated. If Valve adds in the ability to add friend groups then the individual users can sort their list how they want.

Of course, if they do this I hope they bear in mind some of the suggested improvements for the library categories, otherwise we'll end up with another feature that is less user friendly than it could be.
Entil 20 MAR 2014 a las 10:39 
Great idea! Well thought out, and would be highly useful in organization of the current overly simplistic friend's list.

Only feedback I would offer is maybe some sort of manual option to move up or down listings; move a friend in the friend's list, or within a group... or move group lists higher or lower to further aid in organization.
Termy 20 MAR 2014 a las 11:45 
Genius!
MissWolf 20 MAR 2014 a las 12:13 
+1 - I can't believe steam doesn't offer any sort of friend grouping options.
Bob Dole 20 MAR 2014 a las 12:43 
I would love to see this implemented!
mhek 20 MAR 2014 a las 13:51 
Publicado originalmente por Scutterman:
I think this is far too complicated. If Valve adds in the ability to add friend groups then the individual users can sort their list how they want.

Of course, if they do this I hope they bear in mind some of the suggested improvements for the library categories, otherwise we'll end up with another feature that is less user friendly than it could be.

the main point of my complicated examples were to establish a necessity for at least grouping with sub grouping, meaning a two layered dynamic grouping system. i wasn't suggesting all that for default use, but to illustrate how a dynamic system could be used. actually i completely agree with you, the idea is entirely about letting users create their own grouping.
Scutterman 20 MAR 2014 a las 13:57 
Publicado originalmente por mhek:
the main point of my complicated examples were to establish a necessity for at least grouping with sub grouping, meaning a two layered dynamic grouping system. i wasn't suggesting all that for default use, but to illustrate how a dynamic system could be used. actually i completely agree with you, the idea is entirely about letting users create their own grouping.
In that case, I think it's a great idea.
Domono.SGG 20 MAR 2014 a las 15:09 
Thats actually something that would be useful
Lemondrop 20 MAR 2014 a las 15:43 
this is a good plan
thisfalsereality 20 MAR 2014 a las 17:48 
Brilliant Idea! I've had some very similar ideas myself, and am still wondering why they dont make the friends list functionality more convenient. It think it would expand the userbase by a considerable amount were they to upgrade with these features. Perhaps they needed you to make the suggestion ;)
Ega 20 MAR 2014 a las 23:34 
Would be an interesting addition. There are always the friends you play with the most, probably you would search for them a lot of times to check if they were online.
Mouser 21 MAR 2014 a las 9:20 
cool idea, always good to keep things more organized
ninjasneekers 21 MAR 2014 a las 9:35 
Awesome idea, would make it easier for finding friends in huge lists.
ROCKERMIKE 21 MAR 2014 a las 10:39 
awesome idea!
< >
Mostrando 1-15 de 21 comentarios
Por página: 1530 50

Publicado el: 20 MAR 2014 a las 9:42