here's a crazy one, 2 step verification!
For the life of me i cannot believe valve hasn't implemented 2 step verification/authentication for new devices. Not only would it increase account security, but it's something most other companies that provide a major service have utilized for years now. Tie it into sms, that way you're getting a greatly enhanced way to ensure the security of your account with only one access point, your phone. As it stands, the ridiculously archaic system of imposing 7 day trade and marketplace restrictions does next to nothing to actually make your account safer when accessed from a new pc or device, and is stupidly inconvenient. I'm sure other's have suggested similar idea's be adopted. This is one area where valve is 3-4 years behind the rest of the world for absolutely no practical reason.
< >
Visualizzazione di 1-15 commenti su 33
Short: They did
Little less short: They did its called Steam guard heard of it?

Long: What did you think Steam guard is? you need to first login then if its not the same PC you need to go to your Email to get a code for Steam Guard that is a 2 step verification

1. Login
2. Steam Guard

2 steps for you..
Ultima modifica da Black Blade; 10 mar 2014, ore 14:36
yes but there's no way sms integration and no way to bypass their silly 7 day restricition when accessing steam on a new device. sms verification solves that problem and greatly enhances your accounts security.
Messaggio originale di greyyfox:
yes but there's no way sms integration and no way to bypass their silly 7 day restricition when accessing steam on a new device. sms verification solves that problem and greatly enhances your accounts security.
Maybe but i do not know abut you but i really like it that Valve dose not ask for it..... + not everyone have a phone

Also phone will not block the pushing that is the main way for guys to get into your account now... it will be just the same..

Edit
Even that now if your phone stop working or your house with your phone burn down you can easily login :D:
Ultima modifica da Black Blade; 10 mar 2014, ore 14:39
That's a valid point, but have it available as i'm sure tons of people would use it. It provides single access point security and would let users who choose to utilize it bypass the dumb trade restricition when using a new pc/mac
That's a valid point, but have it available as i'm sure tons of people would use it. It provides single access point security and would let users who choose to utilize it bypass the dumb trade restricition when using a new pc/mac
is 7 days really that bad?
And like i say it will be just as now.. what mean 7 day ban will stay... any how
it's just really inconvinient. In the long run, no it's not that long, but there's absolutely no reason users should have to wait 7 days when other solutions for identity verification are avaialable that negate the need for that restriction. And think about it, how much safer does a 7 day trade restricition *actually* make your account? If you get hacked, the hacker just has to wait 7 days to loot your inventory. It doesn't actually do much to protect you, and is a pain in the arse
it's just really inconvinient. In the long run, no it's not that long, but there's absolutely no reason users should have to wait 7 days when other solutions for identity verification are avaialable that negate the need for that restriction. And think about it, how much safer does a 7 day trade restricition *actually* make your account? If you get hacked, the hacker just has to wait 7 days to loot your inventory. It doesn't actually do much to protect you, and is a pain in the arse
first its not only for you

Second of all i tell you it will be the same there for 7 days stay 7 days

and abut the 7 days not help
7 days is to give time for support to replay to you and help you before they have time to take it... that is the idea... support sometime take longer... but they did not do it for more then 7 for you not to wait longer :D:
What can show you they care... and they know its not comfortable to wait
Ultima modifica da Black Blade; 10 mar 2014, ore 14:46
I understand all that, i do, i'm just saying there are safer ways to achieve the same end that don't inconvience you as a user. I don't always log in every 7 days, sometimes i don't log in for 2-3 weeks. If i got hacked, then that 7 day restricition put there to protect me would be rendered useless.
I understand all that, i do, i'm just saying there are safer ways to achieve the same end that don't inconvience you as a user. I don't always log in every 7 days, sometimes i don't log in for 2-3 weeks. If i got hacked, then that 7 day restricition put there to protect me would be rendered useless.
true... if you login only like that... but do you think they need to wait for you to login from your old pc first? or give you a task related to you only like take a photo of your ID and add to it an ID you never taken a photo of before?
Or prove by doing a dance move only you know :D:?

What i am saying is these will not help any how... the 7 days are maybe not so good for you.. but many users do need it

Edit: ADD
Also adding to that... most users do not even need the system that much at all... some of us know how to not be hacked from the first place... so do really need the Steam Guard that much...
But hi most people also know that jumping off a roof is a bad idea.. any way there is a fance.. most know they need to slow before a turn yet you will have a sigh.. as some do not
Ultima modifica da Black Blade; 10 mar 2014, ore 14:54
Most services provide sms verification, phone call verification, and sometimes secure email verification that ensures security
Most services provide sms verification, phone call verification, and sometimes secure email verification that ensures security
False security only really...
You know why you do not get much hacking to your google account?
As there is not much to do there XD
I mean maybe i can use it to do things but hell in the end its not worth that much to go to all that mess
Steam is not the same story as it

Same with amazon... they have 1 step only..then do not need more as there is not much you really can do there even if you hack in
Ultima modifica da Black Blade; 10 mar 2014, ore 14:55
Sms verification is incredibly secure...I'm not saying make it mandatory, just offer it for those who want to use it. If you're fine with the way things are, great, don't opt in to use it.
Sms verification is incredibly secure...I'm not saying make it mandatory, just offer it for those who want to use it. If you're fine with the way things are, great, don't opt in to use it.
That is not what i am saying really...
what i am saying is it will not block the way its done now to by pass Steam Guard... it will go the same way...

And even more i need to ask... who pay the bills? i mean Valve can maybe do it
But Valve have i think only 1 office.. in one place in the world.. also there are a small group

Google in the other hand...
Ultima modifica da Black Blade; 10 mar 2014, ore 14:58
I am saying it should be added on top of steam guard, and if you do opt in to it it should give you the oppurtunity to authorize new devices without imposing restrictions. I'm not suggesting getting rid of steam guard, just adding to it
I am saying it should be added on top of steam guard, and if you do opt in to it it should give you the oppurtunity to authorize new devices without imposing restrictions. I'm not suggesting getting rid of steam guard, just adding to it
Again you will not have no bans on that.. as the way most pass Steam Guard now will work just as fine on mobile....

Now even if we put that aside... and go on the second step of these
these is Valve:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/company/people.html

How many do you count there?

How many google have?
I will say much more + they have offices all around the world.. what i guess make it easy to connect to phone lines and all
How do you think it will work if Valve do it?

These is just part of it... i mean Valve can and may do it

But even so i can tell you right here right now that there will be 7 days ban any way
Ultima modifica da Black Blade; 10 mar 2014, ore 15:04
< >
Visualizzazione di 1-15 commenti su 33
Per pagina: 1530 50

Data di pubblicazione: 10 mar 2014, ore 14:33