Mopbucket ɛiɜ Mar 7, 2014 @ 7:25pm
More than just music:
Hello,

I know that Steam Music is already in the works. It makes sense that Steam expand into music, books, even videos as games and their tie ins become more prevalent. However, there are a few things I'd really like included as it pertains to music:

1. A subscription option similar to Spotify w/more game music soundtracks available.
2. A social sharing option so we can share playlists for games. Hats/Cards/Rewards should apply to encourage the sharing of awesome playlists. IE-Add a heavy metal soundtrack to TF2, etc.
3. "Steam Music Supported" so to speak for games. What do I mean? Have hooks so that developers can hand over some power to the players so that players can customize playlists depending on what's happening in game. This would allow for fun and interesting playlists that players could send around and even allow developers to create in game playlists of music that they could never license themselves in a cost effective manner. This could also allow the music to be automatically muted for dialogue, cinematics, whatever.
4. User created music. We allow user created mods/skins/etc. Why not allow music to be uploaded and shared? This would also allow some users to earn some money, just like they do creating maps. (Let it be known I am in no way saying this for myself. I have no interest in creating music, but there are so many amazing game music composers/artists that I'd love to support. Malukah anyone?)
5. Artist pages. Like an artist who created some awesome DOTA2 music? Follow what projects she's working on. Be able to donate to that artist.
6. Allow Steam Music on mobile as well as Steam Boxes.
7. "Steam Music Supported" multiplayer games allow currently played playlists to be shared with other players within the same game. Perhaps even "synced" so we can all sing along together in drunken stupidity.
8. Top Playlists/Songs: Order by game, region, friends, etc. Fun way to explore music.

Anyhow, those are just a few ideas. I just hope that Steam Music is more than just an in game music player and really leverages the steam community and the cooperative/competitive nature of games. What do other people think?
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
TheKDragon Mar 7, 2014 @ 7:30pm 
This is an excellent idea. It would allow playing allot of multiplayer games to be more focused since i do listen to some intense songs during my runs to keep me focused.
0|\|3 Mar 7, 2014 @ 7:33pm 
I didn't even know steam music was a thing till I read this post. Some good ideas tho I'm down with this.
madsage2049 Mar 7, 2014 @ 8:10pm 
Seems like some excellent ideas that would improve the upcoming Steam Music in several ways. A lot of video game music is superb and having more cool features like these to listen and discover such music is great.
Black Blade Mar 8, 2014 @ 9:44am 
Well fist alot of the things you put here are related if Steam will start saleing music and not just here and there some sound tracks...

The main problem i can see here is the all mighty Copy Rights problem that follow on any thing like these
Any type of sharing like these sounds to me like it may make many copyrights problems no?
Mopbucket ɛiɜ Mar 8, 2014 @ 4:44pm 
That's why you'd need a subscription like Spotify in order to do the extra stuff. EIther that or be able to hook it to a Spotify account, etc.
Black Blade Mar 8, 2014 @ 5:31pm 
Originally posted by Mopbucket ɛiɜ:
That's why you'd need a subscription like Spotify in order to do the extra stuff. EIther that or be able to hook it to a Spotify account, etc.
well i think they may be working on connecting it to something..
But at these time hard for me to see Valve going into Music and Movies.... i mean not only they will have many racing with them on that... it a new world of copy rights and all

And Valve will not have much to offer for Movies like these... i mean DRM for movies is really useless... in the end as you can just record the screen
And more then that is that Steam is new in there.... and you have once like Netflix and many more that are more or less like what is Steam in the Game market...
Mopbucket ɛiɜ Mar 8, 2014 @ 6:16pm 
Never said anything about movies. Just music for in games.
Black Blade Mar 8, 2014 @ 6:21pm 
Never said anything about movies. Just music for in games.
lol well my bad seen too many treads....
Ok any how music is the same problem as well even with sharing in game you have that big copyright problem...
Mopbucket ɛiɜ Mar 8, 2014 @ 9:29pm 
You don't share the music. You share the playlist. The music is drawn from a subscription service. Either run by Valve or a third party. There are plenty of subscription services already out there which would make this perfectly legal. (Rhapsody, Spotify, etc. etc.)
Wolf1k Mar 8, 2014 @ 10:56pm 
Больше бі музіки, а то та надоедает!
Black Blade Mar 9, 2014 @ 4:16am 
You don't share the music. You share the playlist. The music is drawn from a subscription service. Either run by Valve or a third party. There are plenty of subscription services already out there which would make this perfectly legal. (Rhapsody, Spotify, etc. etc.)
You mean that they make it legal to play the music in public? i may be wrong abut it .... but i am pretty sure there is a problem with that XD
Fork_Q2 (Banned) Mar 9, 2014 @ 11:30am 
Hello,

I know that Steam Music is already in the works. It makes sense that Steam expand into music, books, even videos as games and their tie ins become more prevalent. However, there are a few things I'd really like included as it pertains to music:

1. A subscription option similar to Spotify w/more game music soundtracks available.
2. A social sharing option so we can share playlists for games. Hats/Cards/Rewards should apply to encourage the sharing of awesome playlists. IE-Add a heavy metal soundtrack to TF2, etc.
3. "Steam Music Supported" so to speak for games. What do I mean? Have hooks so that developers can hand over some power to the players so that players can customize playlists depending on what's happening in game. This would allow for fun and interesting playlists that players could send around and even allow developers to create in game playlists of music that they could never license themselves in a cost effective manner. This could also allow the music to be automatically muted for dialogue, cinematics, whatever.
4. User created music. We allow user created mods/skins/etc. Why not allow music to be uploaded and shared? This would also allow some users to earn some money, just like they do creating maps. (Let it be known I am in no way saying this for myself. I have no interest in creating music, but there are so many amazing game music composers/artists that I'd love to support. Malukah anyone?)
5. Artist pages. Like an artist who created some awesome DOTA2 music? Follow what projects she's working on. Be able to donate to that artist.
6. Allow Steam Music on mobile as well as Steam Boxes.
7. "Steam Music Supported" multiplayer games allow currently played playlists to be shared with other players within the same game. Perhaps even "synced" so we can all sing along together in drunken stupidity.
8. Top Playlists/Songs: Order by game, region, friends, etc. Fun way to explore music.

Anyhow, those are just a few ideas. I just hope that Steam Music is more than just an in game music player and really leverages the steam community and the cooperative/competitive nature of games. What do other people think?

There are already plenty of online music stores, Steam does not need to be one. Besides, I'd rather Valve concentrate on giving us a better video game store experience as opposed compromising it with a Johnny-Come-Lately music section.
Mopbucket ɛiɜ Mar 9, 2014 @ 10:01pm 
Originally posted by Black Blade (Study again \(-.-)/:
You mean that they make it legal to play the music in public? i may be wrong abut it .... but i am pretty sure there is a problem with that XD

Your statement makes no sense. The user is the one listening to the music. The user has to have the subscription. In what way is ANYONE playing the music in public?
Mopbucket ɛiɜ Mar 9, 2014 @ 10:03pm 
Originally posted by Fork_Q:
There are already plenty of online music stores, Steam does not need to be one. Besides, I'd rather Valve concentrate on giving us a better video game store experience as opposed compromising it with a Johnny-Come-Lately music section.

It's not about being a music store. It's about being a platform for entertainment. Game centric of course.
Black Blade Mar 10, 2014 @ 4:05am 
Your statement makes no sense. The user is the one listening to the music. The user has to have the subscription. In what way is ANYONE playing the music in public?
So i may have miss understand you XD
I was thinking you say something abut sharing the music in game with the players
Well if that was not it and i did miss understand my replays abut it are not reverent and i am sorry for miss understanding
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Mar 7, 2014 @ 7:25pm