[ Probably not happening, but high hopes for steamOS. Gotten wildly off topic. ] Wasn't there something about a 3rd-party Steam Client? How's that coming?
Wasnt there an interview with The Gabe a while back (right at the start of the official part of "there will be steam news" thing, which then led to steamOS and stuff) where he mentioned Valve wanting to effectively get out of the Store Frontend game, or at least wanting to open the store database API to developers to be able to develop their own Steam Client or at least "Steam Store Front"?

Am I making that up completely?
Anyone heard anything about that (more) recently (than that interview which I am not really sure actually happend)?

If I am making the interview up, please consider this an official suggestion.
Not that I'd want to do that, but (and I am not trying to be an ♥♥♥ here) I believe that if steam had essentially developed into at lleast the direction of developer facing DB/API say 2 years ago, we now would have had the most awesomenest Steam Client ever. If not 13, 5 good ones, 5 COD-Themed ones and one each by MS, EA and Ubisoft *hrm*.

And all the devs would now be on SteamOS and big picture, which would then be finished now, because thats how development works :-|

But seriously, 3rd party client - any recent newsbits?
Viimeisin muokkaaja on pyromorph; 5.3.2014 klo 14.21
< >
Näytetään 1-15 / 24 kommentista
I think you did not understand them
I did hear they want to give more power to the Devs of the games
So they will be able to get out of the picture and let them get closer to the users

But i do not think they mean a 3rd-party Steam Client

I think its more related to how the Dev show on the front page... they they will deside it.. and Valve will be able to work more on the clinet and there own games then on the outher dev games

That is what i think any how
Viimeisin muokkaaja on Black Blade; 3.3.2014 klo 13.51
Huh.. I am sure that there was a mention of "themed/topiced or publisher specific steam stores".
But you are right, maybe its just better api for devs and a lot more customizability to create dedicated storefronts *inside* of the default steam client.
Sooooo.. turns out I seem to have made up only half of it. Thanks! :)
Viimeisin muokkaaja on pyromorph; 5.3.2014 klo 12.16
simu lähetti viestin:
Huh.. I am sure that there was a mention of "themed/topiced or publisher specific steam stores".
But you are right, maybe its just better api for devs and a lot more customizability to create dedicated storefronts *inside* of the default steam client.
Sooooo.. turns out I seem to have made up only half of it. Thanks! :)
I may be worng i did not follow the Steam Dev days so much

The thing is just if they do it... i can see sooo much mess going around XD i do not think its worth for them or the Devs to do it..
HahaA! got it. to get to the good bit, search for "api" in the page and read the passage containing that from the top.

tabopen http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3852144/gabe-newell-interview-steam-box-future-of-gaming

Turns out my memory is better than I give it credit for..

So.
How are those 3rd party Clients coming, then? :)
Viimeisin muokkaaja on pyromorph; 5.3.2014 klo 12.21
are you talking abut the replay to these?
The hardware side of Valve is new, but you've obviously got a huge platform with Steam. What's the future of Steam like? Will it change as you begin to release Steam-based hardware?
If so i understand that as meaning to make the store change for the user so it will fit to what you want (like show only AAA, Show only Inide, Don't Show Multiplayer games and so on)
I may be worng i did not follow the Steam Dev days so much

The thing is just if they do it... i can see sooo much mess going around XD i do not think its worth for them or the Devs to do it..
Ah, my bad, I should have mentioned that it was early(er) last year, not dev-days recent.

And I'd really love to have a GREAT Steam Client. Right now we have (still, not trying to be an ass..) an OK to Good client. It does in no way feel or handle like a current program.. steam feels like classic winamp in a way. Good, but kinda really getting old. ;)

Why not open that up to devs to build something awesome. Or "Amazon" (I know they are competitors in that field (at least amazon wants them to be) but the example is sound ;) ))
I thinkt that would turn out great for all involved..
are you talking abut the replay to these?
The hardware side of Valve is new, but you've obviously got a huge platform with Steam. What's the future of Steam like? Will it change as you begin to release Steam-based hardware?
If so i understand that as meaning to make the store change for the user so it will fit to what you want (like show only AAA, Show only Inide, Don't Show Multiplayer games and so on)

No, this (blatant copyright issue ensuing):
Right now there’s one Steam store. We think that the store should actually be more like user generated content. So, anybody should be able to create a store, and it should be about extra entertainment value. Our view has always been that we should build tools for customers and tools for partners. An editorial filter is fine, but there should be a bunch of editorial filters. The backend services should be network APIs that anybody can use. On the consumer side, anybody should be able to put up a store that hooks into those services. Our view is that, in the same way users are critical in a multiplayer experience, like the fellow next to you is critical to your enjoyment, we should figure out how we can help users find people that are going to make their game experiences better. Some people will create team stores, some people will create Sony stores, some people will create stores with only games that they think meet their quality bar. Somebody is going to create a store that says "these are the worst games on Steam." So that’s an example of where our thinking is leading us right now.e
simu lähetti viestin:
No, this (blatant copyright issue ensuing):
Right now there’s one Steam store. We think that the store should actually be more like user generated content. So, anybody should be able to create a store, and it should be about extra entertainment value. Our view has always been that we should build tools for customers and tools for partners. An editorial filter is fine, but there should be a bunch of editorial filters. The backend services should be network APIs that anybody can use. On the consumer side, anybody should be able to put up a store that hooks into those services. Our view is that, in the same way users are critical in a multiplayer experience, like the fellow next to you is critical to your enjoyment, we should figure out how we can help users find people that are going to make their game experiences better. Some people will create team stores, some people will create Sony stores, some people will create stores with only games that they think meet their quality bar. Somebody is going to create a store that says "these are the worst games on Steam." So that’s an example of where our thinking is leading us right now.e
That was what i was referring to XD (i just copy what they ask not the replay

I do not think its a clinet what there talking abut... and they may have done it now
I think there talking abut something like Tags.... that allow you to find a spasfic thing (Like only Sony thing, Only Single player, only "these are the worst games on Steam.")
Viimeisin muokkaaja on Black Blade; 5.3.2014 klo 12.34
But damn, he's only talking "store". Do not know if that is just a question of definitiion, if "store" is used with "client" interchangeably.
But if only "store", I'm not exited any more :(

EDIT:
Think I just wanted it too bad. ;(
Viimeisin muokkaaja on pyromorph; 5.3.2014 klo 12.35
simu lähetti viestin:
But damn, he's only talking "store". Do not know if that is just a question of definitiion, if "store" is used with "client" interchangeably.
But if only "store", I'm not exited any more :(
ya i know XD its hard to say what he is meaning XD
But hi i may be 100% worng

And any how i do think that in some point will have a big customize the client thing... i mean in the end its a web site.. and a library... if they some how open the library to be used from something else then any one can build a browser that will run it and make there own Client in a way
Viimeisin muokkaaja on Black Blade; 5.3.2014 klo 12.36
There was an AmA just yesterday. Missed it by about 18 hours :/
simu lähetti viestin:
AmA ? what is that?
And any how i do think that in some point will have a big customize the client thing... i mean in the end its a web site.. and a library... if they some how open the library to be used from something else then any one can build a browser that will run it and make there own Client in a way

It's just that it feels that they coulda-shoulda done that years ago, the client essentially still feels the same. I know a lot has changed from the beginning, but still.

The "own store" thing is one thing, but when I say client, I'm much more exited for.. different big pictures, things that will let you nerd out and give games more than one category. Things that actually are a program interacting with the (game)data on your local system, and are not just a "stupd webstore". "Origin" only NOT. ;)
simu lähetti viestin:
AmA ? what is that?
tabopen http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/04/quick-look-gabe-newell-is-doing-an-ama/

But nothing (at least to me) interesting came out, mostly pretty benign banter. fun though, in parts :)
Viimeisin muokkaaja on pyromorph; 5.3.2014 klo 12.43
simu lähetti viestin:
tabopen http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/04/quick-look-gabe-newell-is-doing-an-ama/
DAM miss my chance to ask for a job XD

Edit
Thanks man i just found out i was right abut the HL3 thing all these time :D:
“When we announced our products years in advance in the past and then were really late delivering them, it was pretty painful for both us and the community. We’d rather not repeat that.”
Edit end

Ok now more : |

i think the big problem with a client like that is first of all you will start maybe having things like only EA games Steam only Ubisoft and that is going to be a nightmare..
More then that something like that will be much easyer to hack even if Valve keeps updating it the more clinets there will be the harder it will be to work like that....

And in the end the Core things that make Steam what it is will not be open... as that will kill out all the point of Steam been Steam....
Viimeisin muokkaaja on Black Blade; 5.3.2014 klo 13.07
< >
Näytetään 1-15 / 24 kommentista
Sivua kohden: 1530 50

Lähetetty: 3.3.2014 klo 12.22