[ UIC ] Galactus Feb 17, 2014 @ 1:58pm
portable steam consoles ( idea)
today a random thought came to my mind about steam integrating to the portble console market. i know this might be something out there considering how big steam is, but just think of the possibilities. being able to play 1,000+ games anywhere you go seems like it would bring in lots of revenue, i mean what WOULDN'T if it was that strong.

though i know as a fact that no gaming console will be able to support that much so thats why ( if it were to ever happen) they should make it so you can only access so many games by connecting via the interwebs. and even if yur not on the internet you can still access one game by storing it on the steam portable console itself.

even better, when you buy something on this console, it would reflect on every other steam product ( A.K.A. steam machines, steam app on phones, and/or pc steam). so basically this thing will maximize your ways of managing your steam profile. so like if you were to buy borederlands 2 or like skyrim on your portable version or you were to accept an update, you can do it at your workplace and when you get home it would already be downloaded and ready to play. ( oh and ofcourse you can add currency on your portable).

though i'm not going to just spout ideas without thinking of the restrictions. most portable consoles have lower and inferior graphics than its home cousin ( home concoles) so thats why steam can either do 2 things...
#1. they can ask the publishers of the games on steam to " modify their released games" more or less to be able to play it on portable consoles. ( for example, steam can modify team fortress 2 to play as the original team fortress while somehow not making it to outdated to the point no one wants to buy it or shrink don't starve to not have generating maps )

#2. they can limit what things you can play on the portable system but not limit what you can buy. ( in other words, you may not be able to play borderlands 2 on your portable system but you can still buy it and it will be sent to your steam acount on your computer or steam machine to download on those systems since they are able to support such a big program and paragraph number 3 shall come into action).

and about being on internet so you can play, all your games will be stored on your own personal "server' which when it gets a chance to connect with your device will grant you access to all your bought games.

this is just me letting my ideas explode on to the forums for people to just comment. this might possibly get some " special people" interested. though you don't have to take this seriously, i mean imagine how much money it migt cause steam to spend. this is like a far off dream.
Last edited by [ UIC ] Galactus; Feb 18, 2014 @ 10:23pm
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
FapTic Feb 17, 2014 @ 3:15pm 
Steam Laptop, or the "Steamtop", would fit this idea. Combining the portability and functionality of a laptop with processing and graphics power from a gaming pc will result in this, including an integrated SteamOS.

If this doesn't come out, a gaming laptop would fill in the blanks. It's portable, let's you plug it in to a tv for a bigger screen, and should be good enough to play demanding games, based on your price range.
Ericrct Feb 17, 2014 @ 3:30pm 
There is, it's called a "Laptop", ever heard of it?
Majestic Turkey Feb 17, 2014 @ 3:58pm 
Originally posted by Ericrct:

Yep and no ones going to buy a laptop that boots straight into a drm game store. Its ridiculous. Even smart phones with games don't do this. Furthermore mobile gaming is different from normal gaming, more casual, its why angry birds is so successful, never mind that flappy nonsense. Most people don't need hardcore gaming on the go, they have better things to do these things, esp those with the cash to even afford such a thing if they wanted it.
[ UIC ] Galactus Feb 17, 2014 @ 5:43pm 
yes i have heard of a laptop ( sarcasm).
and plus i'm not talking about a laptop i'm talking about a fully integrated portable system that is made by STEAM. and in the end do you want to carry a heavy laptop around with you to play games. no. why do you think PORTABLE SYSTEMS were made for?

[ UIC ] Galactus Feb 17, 2014 @ 5:49pm 
Originally posted by tulu, master of teh doge (AFK):
Steam Laptop, or the "Steamtop", would fit this idea. Combining the portability and functionality of a laptop with processing and graphics power from a gaming pc will result in this, including an integrated SteamOS.

If this doesn't come out, a gaming laptop would fill in the blanks. It's portable, let's you plug it in to a tv for a bigger screen, and should be good enough to play demanding games, based on your price range.

steamtop does sound good but i was hoping for something that can like fit in your pocket like what the ds and the psp does. though if it was that small i don't think it would even be able to support team fortress classic. probably a tablet would come close to this. though not a computer and lacks the size to fit in a jean pocket, it is still easier to carry around and fit in you backpack atleast. it also has alot of memory, atleast enough to support portal.
slee715279 Feb 17, 2014 @ 8:12pm 
the crome stanley
t1 connection minimum
[ UIC ] Galactus Feb 18, 2014 @ 6:27pm 
now that i think about it....onlive kind of does the server thing were you can store your games on the internet instead of on your computer and that u can access it via internet.
maybe if onlive and steam put their ideas together they can produce a portable console?
...meh....just another random idea from a random person
Looncan Feb 18, 2014 @ 9:23pm 

bah, it'll never catch on...

Originally posted by pkpulsefall:
and plus i'm not talking about a laptop i'm talking about a fully integrated portable system that is made by STEAM. and in the end do you want to carry a heavy laptop around with you to play games. no. why do you think PORTABLE SYSTEMS were made for?

i think he's now talking about a mac book air (Ͼ˳Ͽ)

also you missed the memo on 2010
http://www.onlive.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sc8A9q4Wgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olkZXelQZho
Last edited by Looncan; Feb 18, 2014 @ 9:29pm
[ UIC ] Galactus Feb 18, 2014 @ 10:19pm 
Originally posted by D0gSoldi3r:

bah, it'll never catch on...

Originally posted by pkpulsefall:

i think he's now talking about a mac book air (Ͼ˳Ͽ)

also you missed the memo on 2010
http://www.onlive.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sc8A9q4Wgk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olkZXelQZho
well....

.....now i just feel outdated...and i thought this idea was something revelutionary and ground breaking. and really 2010 how could i miss that!?

but hey theres still room....how bout steam and onlive mix their platforms ( aka. their product and their ideas) to make aportable console that can do something that not even microsoft or sony could one up.
good back up idea right? probably not...
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 17, 2014 @ 1:58pm