Sinopa Feb 12 @ 5:27pm
Brilliant Idea - Allow accounts on the same computer access to all the games on that computer
My problem arises from the simple fact that my dad and I shared an account at one time. Now I have my own account, on the same laptop, and I cannot play the games I bought with MY money. Steam has detected the game files on my laptop, shows them in my library under my dad's Account name. HOWEVER it requires me to purchase ALL the games I have already bought for $20-$60 AGAIN. Now my suggestion is that when steam detects game files on a computer that it should allow the person on that computer to access those games. Now I know everyone loves lots-o-money. However you've made quite a bit off the purchases I made on my dad's account. I have no desire to repurchase those games simply because I decided to get my own steam account. So if you could kindly look into some type of method that allows me to play the games I bought on my dad's account. I'd be very happy indeed. I love Steam, it's an amazing program but honestly....the fact that you would require me to purchase a game already installed on my laptop is rediculous.
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Gus the Crocodile Feb 12 @ 5:30pm 
Family Sharing should let you do this just fine. Check Settings->Family; authorise the computer, authorise each other's accounts.
Sinopa Feb 12 @ 5:31pm 
Really? I didn't know there was any such setting...
TastyToast Feb 12 @ 5:35pm 
wow the one case where family sharing actualy would be helpful.
Sinopa Feb 12 @ 5:39pm 
Actually it was ZERO aid what so ever. I set the family sharing up and it is still saying I have to purchase the games. Soooooo
TastyToast Feb 12 @ 5:40pm 
you need to log in to your dads accoutn and authorize your account from his account. and you have to be in the beta still as far as i know.
Sinopa Feb 12 @ 6:24pm 
It still didn't work. I set up everything on both accounts and it doesn't work.
K.A.R.R. Feb 12 @ 6:53pm 
Originally posted by Anetha Black:
It still didn't work. I set up everything on both accounts and it doesn't work.

Then you've not set it up properly. However.... you won't be able to play games at the same time, only one person can access one library at any one time.

Originally posted by Anetha Black:
honestly....the fact that you would require me to purchase a game already installed on my laptop is rediculous.

No it isn't. Or you could just log into any computer, download every one of your 200 games, log out and WHOEVER logged in on that PC would instantly get 200 free games for as long as they were on that PC. Ignoring the fact that gangs of friends could then all share one copy of a game, imagine that on a university level for example. You'd just install the game to a network drive and everyone would come along and copy the files, bang, one person buys a game, 10,000 people don't NEED to.

Going of out business would stat as only 10% of people now paid for their games.

(I have Saints Row IV installed on this computer from a free weekend. By your logic i could now play the game as it is installed, even though no-one that has gone near this computer has ever paid for it!)
Last edited by K.A.R.R.; Feb 12 @ 7:24pm
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Feb 12 @ 5:27pm