Skipper Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:21am
Broken achievements
My suggestion is to get rid of all those broken achievements.
Why? If there are no broken achievements, then the achievements are of higher quality of Steam.

When a achievement is broken people can press a button beside the achievement to say it's broken.
Even if needed to they might be able to add a note to it (no required, but could be useful for Valve).

Then when a specific achievement get amount of reports, for example 200 reports.
There will go a notification to the developers of the game to fix it in a reasonable time (for example 3 months).

If they do not fix it within 3 months the achievement get removed.
The developer always can add the achievement back again when it got repaired.

EDIT: Whenever a person press this button for no reason, to many achievements (for example for 200 non broken achievements).
His feature to be able to vote for broken achievements will get disabled.
Last edited by Skipper; Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:40am
Showing 1-15 of 51 comments
< >
Echnaton Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:26am 
That idea is awesome! Do it, Valve, do it please!
Last edited by Echnaton; Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:27am
=(eGO)=™ MIB2 Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:28am 
That is amazing. I can't believe this isn't implemented yet. Such a useful feature!
minimuffin Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:31am 
I think this would be great! Supported
Mhill2029 Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:34am 
Totally agree and welcome your idea

One of the nice things about achievements is it gives a sense of fulfillment on completion of a game and a way of showcasing skill or perseverance/dedication. Achievements being broken ruin this, and in some cases can actually cause bad press againt the game and developers. which can in turn effect future sales of that title or titles from a specific developer. Myself personally have avoided titles from specific developers due to broken achievements that never got fixed. If they can't be bothered, why should the buying public spend their hard earned money on lazy people?

Not everyone cares about achievements i know, but there are more that do than don't. It's a bigger deal than most would ever think.
Last edited by Mhill2029; Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:41am
PLANTROON Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:44am 
+1 Or rather send the developer a bug report about the achievement not working ;)
Corsario Jan 25, 2014 @ 12:07pm 
It sounds good on paper, but the potential for abuse is huge. Whiny kids who can't play tough games will flag everything left and right.

Developers already have a VERY simple way to deal with broken achievements, via the Steam Dev Console.

A few weeks ago, 11 Bit Studios (makers of the Anomaly games) about whether the holiday content was coming back or not. When they said they weren't gonna add the holiday stuff again, I asked for the removal of the christmas achievement.

The achievement was gone in less than 90 minutes. It only takes a couple of clicks.

TL:DR Asking devs for removal is the best way to go.

Skipper Jan 25, 2014 @ 12:44pm 
Originally posted by Corsario:
It sounds good on paper, but the potential for abuse is huge. Whiny kids who can't play tough games will flag everything left and right.

Developers already have a VERY simple way to deal with broken achievements, via the Steam Dev Console.

A few weeks ago, 11 Bit Studios (makers of the Anomaly games) about whether the holiday content was coming back or not. When they said they weren't gonna add the holiday stuff again, I asked for the removal of the christmas achievement.

The achievement was gone in less than 90 minutes. It only takes a couple of clicks.

TL:DR Asking devs for removal is the best way to go.

I have seen this achievement being removed.
Although the time it took before it got removed more then 90 minutes.
It got removed because the developer got spammed about the broken achievement by the players. :P

But yes, it can easly be removed by the developers if they do.
But many doesn't, some people track the broken achievements and there are at the moment 2092 known broken achievements across 108 games. (source)
Although this isn't a accurate number there can be more or less.

Even I have reported to a few developers about their broken achievements, so far none are repaired.
Even thought they kindly replied to my e-mail.
Been waiting for kinda alomst a year now to get a few fixed.
Last edited by Skipper; Jan 25, 2014 @ 12:46pm
~Zero Jan 26, 2014 @ 6:37pm 
+1 for this idea.

ALL HAIL THE LORD OF CHEEVOS!!!!
rekindledflame Jan 27, 2014 @ 12:05am 
I agree with this as well and I think by requiring X number of reports you limit the potential for abuse. Yes, as Corsario pointed out you will always have people who flag something as being broken because it's too difficult for them, doesn't operate the way they think it should, or because it's grindy or what have you, but by requiring X number of reports you minimize the potential for those people to have any impact. Of course a long with that it does need to be time gated, X number of reports in X time frame, to again minimize the chance of people just looking to "whine" to impact the system in any way.

Initially setting this up would require some work naturally, but once it is in place it could be largely automated from Valve's end as well and not require active employee's to monitor each individual report.
Last edited by rekindledflame; Jan 27, 2014 @ 12:06am
swenor Feb 1, 2014 @ 2:10am 
Valve has more important things than fixing broken achievos. Also it is up to developer to code things properly - it's not Valve's job, they have already delivered Steamworks SDK.
ReBoot Feb 1, 2014 @ 2:28am 
Or you just address the developer's support, e.g. write in the forum that the achievement is broken.
Rider339 Feb 5, 2014 @ 10:21am 
Agree with this. However I know games that have problems with their achievements but ti will never get fixed because the company has gone under. An example of this is Warhammer 40000 Dawn of War 2: Retribution
StarFrost2 Feb 5, 2014 @ 1:29pm 
Originally posted by Rider339:
Agree with this. However I know games that have problems with their achievements but ti will never get fixed because the company has gone under. An example of this is Warhammer 40000 Dawn of War 2: Retribution

Yeah but with the instant removal he talks in his solution, it would automaticly get removed.

+1
r3aL Feb 5, 2014 @ 4:09pm 
Please do this. Tired of broken achievements getting in my way of achievement hunting
hagakure Feb 5, 2014 @ 5:11pm 
Yes there are many broken achievements on steam
Showing 1-15 of 51 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Jan 25, 2014 @ 11:21am