Gaber010 Jul 25, 2015 @ 10:58am
Interresting ideas about the Review's comment section.
Whether comment deletion should or shouldn't stay? The forum here is dedicated to the people who put their 2 cents into this discussion.

I would like to remind people again that this is simply a discussion and no slandering or flaming on the current steam product is intended. This was simply intended to be a place to discuss the structure and features or the review system. Please enjoy the banter! :)

[Original intro]
Why is it possible to delete a Comment from your own review? After attempting a perfectly peaceful and well constructed rebuttal to a poorly informed review, I found out it is completely and unjustifiable possible to launder people's opinions and questions.

Why in gods name is this a feature?

A community manager or employee is well within his right to do this, of course, as it is an effective way to eliminate some toxicity in these threads. However, the person who posted his opinion that could inform and discuss features and issues of a product, thus affecting people's purchases; can completely digitally silence this user.

It is ethically immoral to accept this feature in the current steam user reviews system. Why is it acceptable to choose what is and isn't right for other people? I can only hope my concerns are taken seriously. As this is well within reason for a person to suspend any use of Valve services in response of this. If a seemingly monopolized digital industry wasn't already in Valves grasp this would be a perfect reason to choose other services.
Last edited by Gaber010; Jul 26, 2015 @ 6:41pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Zetikla Jul 25, 2015 @ 11:04am 
Originally posted by Gaber:
Why is it possible to delete a Comment from your own review? After attempting a perfectly peaceful and well constructed rebuttal to a poorly informed review, I found out it is completely and unjustifiable possible to launder people's opinions and questions.

A community manager or employee is well within his ethical right to do this, of course, as it is an effective way to eliminate some toxicity in these threads. However, the person who posted his opinion that could inform and discuss features and issues of a product, thus affecting people's purchases; can completely digitally silence this user.

It is ethically immoral to accept this feature in the current steam user reviews system. Why is it acceptable to choose what is and isn't right for other people? Is free speech not a right? I can only hope my concerns are taken seriously. As this is well within reason for a person to suspend any use of Valve services in response of this. If a seemingly monopolized digital industry wasn't already in Valves grasp this would be a perfect reason to choose other services.
theres is no such thing as free speech on a private service, sorry to burst your bubble. You may wanna educate yourself before throwing around this "freedom of speech" card
Gaber010 Jul 25, 2015 @ 11:10am 
Alright. I'll edit it just for you. My point still remains.
Black Blade Jul 25, 2015 @ 3:26pm 
Well not really, the reviewer cant silent the commenter, as the one with the comment can also just vote the review down, something the reviewer has no power over..
In all honestly, i do not even understand why there are comments under reviews... seem a little pointless to me any how..

And in the end, someone needs to clear it, you can set it to be the Reviewer, or a Mod, and i think the mods have there hands full, same with the Dev of the game
So i do think letting the reviewer do it is a fair thing, as it is his review, and you can make your own if you like, and vote his down, if you think it was not helpful
The End Jul 25, 2015 @ 3:30pm 
Commenting on reviews should be for developer and reviewer only, most of the times, comments are used to flame/bash/troll the guy who made the review.

Other users should only be able to vote up/down or report the review if it's against the rules.

That's how I see it.
Last edited by The End; Jul 25, 2015 @ 3:30pm
Gaber010 Jul 25, 2015 @ 3:37pm 
I see the comment section a a perfect oportunity to dicuss a "review". Many reviews arent actually examiniations and recommendation of a product, but issues or a features being highlighted. Those can and should be discussed further. When there is a Bad review hovewer, shouldn't it be voted down? Should the bad reviewer have control over his unjust comments? Why should a misinformed or flame/blame reviewer have the tools do defend himself?
Black Blade Jul 25, 2015 @ 3:39pm 
I see the comment section a a perfect oportunity to dicuss a "review". Many reviews arent actually examiniations and recommendation of a product, but issues or a features being highlighted. Those can and should be discussed further. When there is a Bad review hovewer, shouldn't it be voted down? Should the bad reviewer have control over his unjust comments? Why should a misinformed or flame/blame reviewer have the tools do defend himself?
He dose not, that is why you have the Tool, of voting it up or down..
Do you think every user reading the review will even go to read the comments?
Or what happen if after your comment someone just comment, and it moves down, so no one see it?
Comments are not there to flame/blame the reviewer
The End Jul 25, 2015 @ 3:40pm 

If you do not like his review, you make your own review and downvote his, if he is not breaking any rules he can have what ever meaning about the game he want, if he is bashing/flaming the game/devs in his review, you report it and move on.
Last edited by The End; Jul 25, 2015 @ 3:42pm
Gaber010 Jul 25, 2015 @ 4:04pm 
This isn't about my personal taste in reviews. When a review is questionable in nature you don't go and see what other people think of it? That's why I go there. Its a forum like any other. And the reviewer only has one thing, His opinion. Everything after that he can't control and shouldn't control. You will get better and more fruitful feedback if people have a way to discuss it.

But As I said. I still don't see how it's good to have control over the feedback on your own opinion. If people disagree with you, they should be able to discuss and explain why. And a comment section on a review is a wonderful way to do that. Much easier than writing your own review. And better since it's organized right under a summary of that feedback. But this goes away if the author can just cherry pick away the comments he doesn't agree with.

I have thought about writing a reviews to offset it. But if I have already wrote one and see other people opinion, which could be opposite to mine, I would want discuss it. Writing multiple reviews to make sure I got a point across doesn't seem smart. And a bit childish.

This could fall down to just a trust issue. If the author is a very level headed person he won't need to succumb to deleting people's opinions. You'd only see this feature abused if the author has problems with negative feedback. Which I've unfortunately seen quite a bit of in most forums.

Remember these aren't Reviews in a professional setting yet. These are User reviews. One's experience quickly written is still more often seen than a full blown professional recommendation.
(Though this is changing rapidly and many people take quite a bit of effort to write them and I recognize that)

Keep in mind I only want a discussion. I am enjoying the community feedback on this. Its making me question my own questioning and that's good.
supertrooper225 Jul 25, 2015 @ 4:09pm 
This isn't about my personal taste in reviews. When a review is questionable in nature you don't go and see what other people think of it? That's why I go there. Its a forum like any other. And the reviewer only has one thing, His opinion. Everything after that he can't control and shouldn't control. You will get better and more fruitful feedback if people have a way to discuss it.

But As I said. I still don't see how it's good to have control over the feedback on your own opinion. If people disagree with you, they should be able to discuss and explain why. And a comment section on a review is a wonderful way to do that. Much easier than writing your own review. And better since it's organized right under a summary of that feedback. But this goes away if the author can just cherry pick away the comments he doesn't agree with.

I have thought about writing a reviews to offset it. But if I have already wrote one and see other people opinion, which could be opposite to mine, I would want discuss it. Writing multiple reviews to make sure I got a point across doesn't seem smart. And a bit childish.

This could fall down to just a trust issue. If the author is a very level headed person he won't need to succumb to deleting people's opinions. You'd only see this feature abused if the author has problems with negative feedback. Which I've unfortunately seen quite a bit of in most forums.

Remember these aren't Reviews in a professional setting yet. These are User reviews. One's experience quickly written is still more often seen than a full blown professional recommendation.
(Though this is changing rapidly and many people take quite a bit of effort to write them and I recognize that)

Keep in mind I only want a discussion. I am enjoying the community feedback on this. Its making me question my own questioning and that's good.

People seem to forget that if they don't agree with one's review...they can downvote that review and respond with their own review with their own opinion on the game. People who argue in the comments are not attacking the review...they are attacking the reviewer. Which is not good form, at least, for a professional. A users review is their deal...just like devs have the run of their forums...users have control of their review comments. And they can either be honest with their presentation or not and risk ruining their reputation. But they are user reviews, so a users reputation doesnt' really mean anything.

Basically, I disagree. People tend to attack any reviewer who doesn't go along with the grain or who doesn't agree with the internet hate brigade. Then their are the trolls. If a user doesn't want to have to deal with that.....they shouldn't have to.
Last edited by supertrooper225; Jul 25, 2015 @ 4:09pm
Gaber010 Jul 25, 2015 @ 4:17pm 
I have an idea. I think this could be about losing control. Who would want to lose any control they have over anything with nothing in return for it. The changes I am suggesting should not receive much positivity if any.

I don't agree that a reviewer owns his review. I think he only owns his thoughts. And the steam review belongs to Valve and anyone who uses it. Buys games and reviews them.

I have another question. The user above used the word "attack". I would prefer than a toxic comment be both ignored and reported than to have the reviewer delete it. He still has a defence. Anyone who agrees with him. And the steam moderators and employees. True health risk should be of course reported. But minor inflammatory speech is just that. The flames of a troll.

But then again, I could be wrong.
Gaber010 Jul 25, 2015 @ 4:53pm 
Better thought! I think completely removing the "delete comment" feature would not be a good
solution because of a just as important issue in forums: toxic comments. The reason the feature is there to begin with I believe. We would still need the ability to remove some of that. Other than reporting.

A lot of review's comments are toxic. (As there nature is to comment on a games quality) Most of these should appear in negative reviews, and as stated above Moderators already have too much of this to do in these forums.

So something new should be created. Were the reviewer, the devs and the users benefit from it. Poorly written reviews don't benefit anyone. And a one sided argument created in the current system isn't helping.

Maybe a simple upvote/downvote system in the where the reviewer can also pitch in. Maybe his vote has a bigger count. Something perhaps like this could help. I feel like upvoting a review and then upvoting a comment is redundant. So some variation is needed I can't think of. But maybe there is something here that could suit both side of this discussion's purpose.
The End Jul 25, 2015 @ 4:59pm 
So something new should be created. Were the reviewer, the devs and the users benefit from it. Poorly written reviews don't benefit anyone.

We do not need something new, it's ok as it is, but you are right when you say poorly written reviews does not benefit anyone, you have actually made a review that fits that category just nicely.
Last edited by The End; Jul 25, 2015 @ 4:59pm
Gaber010 Jul 25, 2015 @ 5:01pm 
Originally posted by Rockon:
So something new should be created. Were the reviewer, the devs and the users benefit from it. Poorly written reviews don't benefit anyone.

We do not need something new, it's ok as it is, but you are right when you say poorly written reviews does not benefit anyone, you have actually made a review that fits that category just nicely.

If I could just delete you comment just now. Poof. Gone. You never said anything. You were never here. You are silent. Seriously think about it. You would?
supertrooper225 Jul 25, 2015 @ 7:01pm 
Originally posted by Rockon:

If I could just delete you comment just now. Poof. Gone. You never said anything. You were never here. You are silent. Seriously think about it. You would?

Unlike review comments, this section is for discussion, so no... you can't control other people's comments as that defeats the purpose of discussion.

This woudn't improve anything. It won't make reviews better and it won't stop anything that you perceive as a flaw. So there is no benefit to it. It should stay as it is.
Start_Running Jul 25, 2015 @ 7:17pm 
Oh this should be fun.

To translate for others:

I read a review I didn't agree with and started an arguement with the reviewer via the comments. Said reviewer then simply deleted all his comments.

Because sometimes You just need a Mute button.. Seriously. I'd be a little more tactful but you got into an arguement based around telling a reviewer that his opinion and personal evaluation of his subjective experience was incorrect. How did you think that would go?

A community manager or employee is well within his right to do this, of course, as it is an effective way to eliminate some toxicity in these threads. However, the person who posted his opinion that could inform and discuss features and issues of a product, thus affecting people's purchases; can completely digitally silence this user.

If you don't like someoene's review or don't find it helpful. simply down vote it and move on to another review You sound like you were looking to pick a fight with someone

It is ethically immoral to accept this feature in the current steam user reviews system. Why is it acceptable to choose what is and isn't right for other people? I can only hope my concerns are taken seriously. As this is well within reason for a person to suspend any use of Valve services in response of this. If a seemingly monopolized digital industry wasn't already in Valves grasp this would be a perfect reason to choose other services.

Thank heavens for this feature I say.
Last edited by Start_Running; Jul 25, 2015 @ 8:23pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jul 25, 2015 @ 10:58am