The future of Steam - Standalone setups
Theres been a couple of articles lately regarding digital content. I love digital content for my own reasons but its not perfect. As a matter of fact its fat from perfect. Steam, to my knowledge, if not a pioneer is one of the companie who started digital content or at least made it popular up to a point where its at today.

Problem

One of the current problems with Steam is if my account gets banned or is not accessible for any reason, its almost impossible to play my game. of course I can use Offline mode and still play the game but what if my account gets banned ? I won't have access to my game at this point. On top of this issue I still payed money to own the game. Or did I ?

Licence

This is gonna a short paragraph. With all Steam's current mechanism in place. This is far from being a pun or a rant against steam by the way. Do we own our game or do we only have a right to play it ?

With Steam, I have a feeling I just have a right to play it. For example, Gta: Sanandreas. Some music was removed but I didn't agree to that personally. If I had a physical copy that wouldn't of happenened

IDEA
Make a standalone setup file just in the style of gog.com. From Gog.com for example, I download that file and that file has no link from gog to my computer in any way. I download it and it belongs to me. No drm in any way.

I personally think this is a good way for Steam to go. The current way Steam works is almost unnacceptable as it is right now.

I'm pretty sure if anyone spent some cash on games on Steam would love this feature and would love the feeling of owning the game instead of having the right to play it from a licence.

Besides, Steam's reputation would increase 10 folds if thats the case in my opinion.

Gog does it and never had problems so theres no problem in this case as I still go with gog to buy games if I can because of the licence and drm issue.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 34 comments
Spawn of Totoro Jul 1, 2015 @ 5:55am 
Accounts don't get banned form playing their purchased games. Ever. They only get restricted from community features. Aside from that, if one issues a chargeback, they can be restricted from adding game by key or purchasing games by the Steam Store.

GOG.com sells older games. Developers/publishers have already made a lot of money from them, so don't mind them being DRM free. One of the reasons new games are put on Steam is because the developers want to use DRM in some way.

DRM on Steam is also up to the developers, so they can make the game standalone if they wish to. There are many games like that, where you can play them not connected to Steam at all, by running them through the .exe file instead of in Steam.

Even with GOG.com, you don't own the game, but are buying a license for it and being provided with a place to download an official copy of the game. I suggest reading their TOS some time.
At least with gog, I have a standalone file which I can install the game and I have no link whatsoever from gog. This is THE main reason I try to buy all my games from gog instead of steam. With games that I buy on steam, I have to install the client so I'm linked to them in some way. This is what I'm trying to remove so people can install their games without any presences of drm, steam or anything that has to do with a client. I did purchase the game at full price so I have a right in that regard.

... gog sells new game as well. Check them out since you don't seem to be aware. They want to make sure steam doesn't take all the credits in that market hehe.
Spawn of Totoro Jul 1, 2015 @ 6:08am 
Originally posted by Fluffy the Destroyer:
... gog sells new game as well. Check them out since you don't seem to be aware. They want to make sure steam doesn't take all the credits in that market hehe.

I use GOG.com. New games? Not realy. Where is GTA V, DarkSouls 2, for example. There are a lot of games missing from GOG.com.

The only new games they have are Witcher 3 (as they made it) and some indi games.

At least with gog, I have a standalone file which I can install the game and I have no link whatsoever from gog. This is THE main reason I try to buy all my games from gog instead of steam. With games that I buy on steam, I have to install the client so I'm linked to them in some way. This is what I'm trying to remove so people can install their games without any presences of drm, steam or anything that has to do with a client. I did purchase the game at full price so I have a right in that regard.

Your rights are what you agreed to when buying the game. Installing without Steam is not a right.

You want a DRM free copy? Ask the deveoper to make one. It is their choice, Valve isn't going to force them to do it.

Installation through the Steam client isn't DRM either, btw. And if Steam did do that, then you would have other forms of DRM included by the developers, such as Rockstar's Social club.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Jul 1, 2015 @ 6:13am
you sound like your mind is already as NO, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ? Am I right ? Sounds like any discussion in any way or form is futile ? No point for further disussion. Sounds like I'll take my business elsewhere when I can at possible.

For gog, check the new and upcoming games. Not a big list like steam but more are coming in the future of course since theres a demand for it.

When I install a game from gog, its not connected to gog in any way and its perfect with me. I seriously don't understand why I can't do it here. I call that DRM even if the description is not completely true with this situation but its perfect to show that you do need steam to install games in any form or way possible
Spawn of Totoro Jul 1, 2015 @ 6:30am 
you sound like your mind is already as NO, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN ? Am I right ? Sounds like any discussion in any way or form is futile ? No point for further disussion. Sounds like I'll take my business elsewhere when I can at possible.

Sounds like that goes both ways then.

I like the developers to have a choice as much as I like use users to have a choice. With Steam they have that choice.

I'd rather not have two of the same platforms either. GOG.com has it's benefits, as does Steam.

For gog, check the new and upcoming games. Not a big list like steam but more are coming in the future of course since theres a demand for it.

They don't have the new AAA titles. Most the games I just looked at are at least a few years old. Claiming they will get more...yes, they will, as games get older and start falling into that "Good old Games" catagory. That could still be many years for most games though.

A lot of Developer (espcialy AAA ones) don't want DRM free and I can understand why. They spent a lot of money making those games and need to make it pack, plus a good profit in order to make more. DRM free does decrease those sales.

When I install a game from gog, its not connected to gog in any way and its perfect with me. I seriously don't understand why I can't do it here. I call that DRM even if the description is not completely true with this situation but its perfect to show that you do need steam to install games in any form or way possible

Because it is up to the developer here, where as it is required by GOG.com.

Some games on Steam don't need Steam to run, by the developers choice. After you download it, you can just copy the files to any computer and play, some don't even need to be installed with Steam either.

http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

You still need GOG.com to download the files at least one time. That too, could be considered a form of DRM.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Jul 1, 2015 @ 6:32am
Satoru Jul 1, 2015 @ 6:34am 
The entire premise is based on a false premise

1) DONT GET BANNED

2) account suspensions don't result in loss of game playing anyway

Thus your "concerns" are moot
that list on the wikia is very short...very very short. Its nice to have that but the remarks section is gawd aweful. That should not even exist in the first place. Also try to restore a game (once you downloaded and backed it up) without Steam. It's impossible. Thats whay I'm trying to do at the very least (ohh and please give a message to steam devs to work on a steambackup.exe version that works with win8...and probably 10 at this point).

for gog, I don't care if its not new games, the fact that when I install those games without the presence of a client from gog makes me moist. Theres a demand for it and a lot of users complain about the problems in my post...you can't deny it. its everywhere on Youtube, reddit well everywhere.

Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:
I like the developers to have a choice as much as I like use users to have a choice. With Steam they have that choice.
Developers may have a choice but if users had a choice I'm pretty sure they would choose to install their games without any presence of Steam on their computer. That way they are 100% guaranteed that it will work 100% without steam. Nothing against steam. I mean I buy games on gog, got no link with it and I still buy games on gog lol
Spawn of Totoro Jul 1, 2015 @ 6:58am 
Developers may have a choice but if users had a choice I'm pretty sure they would choose to install their games without any presence of Steam on their computer. That way they are 100% guaranteed that it will work 100% without steam. Nothing against steam. I mean I buy games on gog, got no link with it and I still buy games on gog lol

As you are free to choose to do so.

Many users are fine with some DRM though. If they were not, then Steam wouldn't exist, nor would it havd 125 million+ users.

Steam shows that there is a balance that can happen between the user's want and the developer's needs.

Like I said, we don't need two GOGs. Both platforms serve diffrent needs.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Jul 1, 2015 @ 7:00am
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:

As you are free to choose to do so.

Many users are fine with some DRM though. If they were not, then Steam wouldn't exist, nor would it havd 125 million+ users.

Steam shows that there is a balance that can happen between the user's want and the developer's needs.

Like I said, we don't need two GOGs. Both platforms serve diffrent needs.

People like Steam because of discounts. Remove the discounts at all and never make it appear and Steam would be less profitable. Numbers tells the truth. 160m $ in the current summer sale compared to 9m with the rest of the games...people like steam because of that, not because of other reasons.

And no, no sane gamer in their mind finds DRM fine or its cool with it. Some DRM placed by devs breaks or reduce performance of the game.
Last edited by Fluffy The Destroyer; Jul 1, 2015 @ 7:09am
Spawn of Totoro Jul 1, 2015 @ 7:26am 
People like Steam because of discounts. Remove the discounts at all and never make it appear and Steam would be less profitable. Numbers tells the truth. 160m $ in the current summer sale compared to 9m with the rest of the games...people like steam because of that, not because of other reasons.

I have no idea where you are getting those numbers from. Also, wouldn't the same hold for GOG.com and their sales? Afterall a sale is intended to sell more games in volume, to get a burst of extra money.

I have never heard of GOG.com making nearly as much as Steam, even during sales.

And no, no sane gamer in their mind finds DRM fine or its cool with it.

Now you are just projecting your beliefs on other people. Why do you still buy games with DRM, if you don't accept it? It is because you do accept it, but are just vocal about it being there.

It's like not liking nuts in a cookie, but still buying and eating the cookie with the nuts.

So against DRM, but owns over 600 games, several of them using 3rd party DRM such as Uplay and a SquareEnix account.

Ever wonder why DRM is still here? ;-)

Some DRM placed by devs breaks or reduce performance of the game.

Some do yes. When it happens on Steam, it is usualy because of 3rd party DRM (again, the developer's right to choose) and tends to get fixed quickly. Sometimes removed.

Using the DRM part of Steamworks, I have not seen, or heard, of any issues with DRM.

Like I said, Steam is a good balance.

Try taking a look at the individual DRM availabe and not grouping them all together. There are some acceptable ones (Steamworks) and some bad ones (specific versions of SecuRom and always on line DRM).
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Jul 1, 2015 @ 7:29am
And no, no sane gamer in their mind finds DRM fine or its cool with it. Some DRM placed by devs breaks or reduce performance of the game.

But most honest users understand the benefits and requirements of DRM.
Please speak for yourself. Not liking DRM, and suggesting Steam to make less use of it, are entirely reasonable things to do. Claiming authority over the thoughts of everyone else, not so much.
Originally posted by Behind you!! ✔² ★★:

But most honest users understand the benefits and requirements of DRM.
Oh please elaborate. This is very interesting
Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
Please speak for yourself. Not liking DRM, and suggesting Steam to make less use of it, are entirely reasonable things to do. Claiming authority over the thoughts of everyone else, not so much.
so you like drm and you're totally cool with it ?
You didn't say anything about liking it. You said being fine with it.

I'm not fine with all DRM; I've had some annoying situations over the years with games refusing to install for various dumb reasons. But I am absolutely fine with it when it has as little effect on me as Steam's. I wouldn't be using Steam otherwise, really.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 34 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jul 1, 2015 @ 5:37am