Kaldaien Aug 27, 2015 @ 10:23pm
Add to each title a property that describes the path to configuration files
SteamDB shows that there is a property for save game files, mostly as it pertains to Steam Cloud, but I haven't seen any property that tells me what path(s) configuration files are in. Many games use some unorthodox save locations and sometimes even completely off the wall directories.

King's Quest, for example, uses Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\GrahamsGame\Config

I spent the better part of an hour looking long and hard for that one day, but if I could have right clicked on the game and gone into Properties and read that location from within Steam, the whole thing could have been cut down by 59 minutes and 55 seconds!
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
JPMcMillen Aug 28, 2015 @ 5:29am 
Originally posted by Kaldaien:
Many games use some unorthodox save locations and sometimes even completely off the wall directories.

And that's where the problem lies. The only way for Steam to display that would be for that information to be submitted by every developer for every game on Steam. There's no way for the Steam client to auto-detect that kind of information.

However, when I did a Google search for "king's quest configuration files" I found the answer in about 10 seconds. Trust me, if you're looking for it, other people have as well, and the question has probably been asked and answered somewhere online already.
Kaldaien Aug 28, 2015 @ 10:41am 
Originally posted by JPMcMillen:
Originally posted by Kaldaien:
Many games use some unorthodox save locations and sometimes even completely off the wall directories.

And that's where the problem lies. The only way for Steam to display that would be for that information to be submitted by every developer for every game on Steam. There's no way for the Steam client to auto-detect that kind of information.

However, when I did a Google search for "king's quest configuration files" I found the answer in about 10 seconds. Trust me, if you're looking for it, other people have as well, and the question has probably been asked and answered somewhere online already.

Right, that's exactly what I'm talking about. It should be the developer's responsibility to publish this information with any game that they push onto Steam in the metadata that is tied to the game.

Basically, if a game stores data anwhere that is not relative to the Steam Library path, this information should be disclosed in the SteamDB metadata as a requirement prior to publishing. So a list of one or more directories with external paths would be very helpful.

If I'm looking for it, I'd rather do an SQL query to find it than search Google neeedlessly.
Last edited by Kaldaien; Aug 28, 2015 @ 10:47am
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Aug 27, 2015 @ 10:23pm