Community/Ambassador Badge-Change Criteria Slightly
I know there have been many suggestions on how to get rid of all the annoying nonsense posts people do for pillar/ambassador of community badge or whatever it's called, but I have not seen this paticular suggestion.

Unless I am understanding this wrong, the badge is mainly meant to show newer user a variety of steam's features. Since it is mainly for newer users, I suggest changing the criteria to posting to the New to Steam forum or creating a new discussion within it. I feel like all the pointless posts people do for the badge are better suited there instead of annoying people waiting for useful responses in Help & Tips section or those in this Suggestion/ Idea forum waiting for others to actually critique their idea. Those are just two of the forums that would benefit from this change.
最近の変更はHLCinSCが行いました; 2014年7月9日 22時40分
< >
1-15 / 21 のコメントを表示
I highly do agree on these, that be good..
Thanks B.B. I guess we're the only ones really annoyed by it ha.
<.<
>.>

Nope, you aren't the only ones who have asked for this.
Acey 2014年7月9日 12時03分 
I also find it quite annoying :htsmug:

Spam... Spam everywhere
Spawn of Totoro の投稿を引用:
<.<
>.>

Nope, you aren't the only ones who have asked for this.
Oh ok I did a search but all I found were people who wanted the requirement removed or given its own section.
Whoever thought it was a good idea to have this requirerment for a badge needs their head examined. You can tell they have zero experience moderating forums...
最近の変更はSilicon Vampireが行いました; 2014年7月9日 12時42分
snh 2014年7月9日 15時39分 
The discussions would be a much, much better place if this was changed.
最近の変更はsnhが行いました; 2014年7月9日 15時39分
Silicon Vampire の投稿を引用:
Whoever thought it was a good idea to have this requirerment for a badge needs their head examined. You can tell they have zero experience moderating forums...
maybe he was just thinking you guys need the work out XD

any way i think over all its a good thing.. it just was not think all the way
Or he is really optimistic abut the community
Fox 2014年7月9日 16時36分 
HLCinSC の投稿を引用:
I know there have been many suggestions on how to get rid of all the annoying nonsense posts people do for pillar/ambassador of community badge or whatever it's called, but I have not seen this paticular suggestion.

Unless I am understanding this wrong, the badge is mainly meant to show newer user a variety of steam's features. Since it is mainly for newer users, I suggest changing the criteria to posting to the New to Steam forum or creating a new discussion within it. I feel like all the pointless posts people do for the badge are better suited there instead of annoying people waiting for useful responses in Help & Tips section or those in this Suggestion/ Idea forum waiting for others to actually critique their idea. Those are just two of the forums that would benefit from this change.
While I do understand your intentions, I think that doing this would just move the problem to this section, and not solve it. Everyone would just spam this forum and genuine new members would be drowned under the swarm of spam. That doesn't look like a very warm welcome.

So far, I can't see any reason for keeping such a notification, even in a modified state, but maybe I haven't been told of the twist that could redeem it...
Fox の投稿を引用:
HLCinSC の投稿を引用:

While I do understand your intentions, I think that doing this would just move the problem to this section, and not solve it. Everyone would just spam this forum and genuine new members would be drowned under the swarm of spam. That doesn't look like a very warm welcome.

So far, I can't see any reason for keeping such a notification, even in a modified state, but maybe I haven't been told of the twist that could redeem it...

Yeah I just chose the "New to Steam" section because it was the most fitting and would cause the least damage since 90% of those posts are just "I'm new looking for friends" posts. I would like the posting requirement to be completely gone,but I recognize the importance in making sure users know the forums exist since they are the primary means of help and support. I just proposed what I did because it kept (what I think) the original intention of the requirement and was just such a minor change to implement would be easy on Steam and better for those that frequent the forums.
Fox 2014年7月9日 17時02分 
HLCinSC の投稿を引用:
Yeah I just chose the "New to Steam" section because it was the most fitting and would cause the least damage since 90% of those posts are just "I'm new looking for friends" posts. I would like the posting requirement to be completely gone,but I recognize the importance in making sure users know the forums exist since they are the primary means of help and support. I just proposed what I did because it kept (what I think) the original intention of the requirement and was just such a minor change to implement would be easy on Steam and better for those that frequent the forums.
I understand. To be honest, if I was sure the community wouldn't have spammed, I'd have supported it.

What might be better could be to rework the "post in the forums" into a "consult the forums", akin to the "consult a guide in the overlay" requirement. All it'd need is to check for an access to the discussions subdomain while connected to your account. That way, the original meaning is somewhat preserved (the new user knows that forums exists) while avoiding mass spamming (it's not required anymore).
Of course, it might as well be a less-than-subpar idea.

EDIT : typos
最近の変更はFoxが行いました; 2014年7月9日 17時02分
Fox の投稿を引用:
HLCinSC の投稿を引用:
I understand. To be honest, if I was sure the community wouldn't have spammed, I'd have supported it.

What might be better could be to rework the "post in the forums" into a "consult the forums", akin to the "consult a guide in the overlay" requirement. All it'd need is to check for an access to the discussions subdomain while connected to your account. That way, the original meaning is somewhat preserved (the new user knows that forums exists) while avoiding mass spamming (it's not required anymore).
Of course, it might as well be a less-than-subpar idea.

EDIT : typos

That is a good idea. I submit we alter it slightly to "Use the Search Function on the Discussion Boards" with a link to them.

Just a thought...
I'm going to ask this since there are already some mods looking at it (I don't know if you can highjack your own thread ha).

Is there any chance of a revised search engine or advanced search for these forums. I find it hard to look for things sometimes. Like if I want to see if a suggestion or idea has already been proposed it searches all the discussions instead of the particular forum you are in. Like I searched for "change community badge" (among other things) before posting this and I get 10's of thousands of results across all of these main forums. I feel like it shouldn't be that hard since you can search just a game's forum.

I feel like it would make yall's job easier if the search function was more useful for the common user, who if they even bother to search first, probably give up after a couple of pages of unrelated results.
HLCinSC の投稿を引用:
I'm going to ask this since there are already some mods looking at it (I don't know if you can highjack your own thread ha).

Is there any chance of a revised search engine or advanced search for these forums. I find it hard to look for things sometimes. Like if I want to see if a suggestion or idea has already been proposed it searches all the discussions instead of the particular forum you are in. Like I searched for "change community badge" (among other things) before posting this and I get 10's of thousands of results across all of these main forums. I feel like it shouldn't be that hard since you can search just a game's forum.

I feel like it would make yall's job easier if the search function was more useful for the common user, who if they even bother to search first, probably give up after a couple of pages of unrelated results.

That isn't something we can answer as we are only volunteer moderators and have nothing to do with the development of the Steam platform. We tend to get information at the same time as any other user does. Take the Summer Adventure 2014 event, we had no idea there was going to be one or what it was about until we experienced it with everyone else.

There are always changes we don't find out until we log in and see it. No warning or anything. Many times we have the same issues with features too, such as the forum search you are referring to.

I wish we could give answers to such questions, but only Valve has such answers.
No worries thanks for your response. I just assumed that they gave yall a little more advance notice on forum related stuff in the pipeline. Thanks again.
< >
1-15 / 21 のコメントを表示
ページ毎: 1530 50

投稿日: 2014年7月8日 8時50分
投稿数: 21